Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to think that helium balloons should not be allowed in a movie theatre?

(41 Posts)
FiveHoursSleep Tue 30-Dec-14 12:15:23

DH and I went to an 8pm showing of The Hobbit last night, and a couple had bought their 5-6 yo child, along with her helium balloon.
We were two rows behind, so were only a little distracted by it bobbing around. However the ladies right behind had to ask them to keep it down at least 3 times as they couldn't see.
Whether or not The Hobbit is suitable for that age is another topic for another day...

ifyourehoppyandyouknowit Tue 30-Dec-14 12:22:03

How is that even a question? Of course you can't take a helium balloon into a cinema. Unless it's in a bag, held down by something heavy, at their feet, maybe?
YANBU

Patrickstarxx Tue 30-Dec-14 12:23:33

That would drive me crazy. We went to watch dumb and Dumber last night and my seat was repeatedly kicked.
The man sat near us clearly had toilet problems because he was constantly going to the loo then when he came back he was pissing about in his phone!

CatWreathkeith Tue 30-Dec-14 12:24:28

Helium balloons shouldn't be allowed anywhere except hospitals IMO.

LadyLuck10 Tue 30-Dec-14 12:43:39

Yanbu, it's clearly inconsiderate idiots like these who think the world should revolve around them and their darlings.

ChippingInLovesChristmasLights Tue 30-Dec-14 12:50:35

What idiots.

Sadly, the world seems to be full of them. We are seeing the issues with children being allowed to think they're the most important thing in the world and should never be told no, or to think of someone else etc. those children are now adults and the problem is only going to get worse.

myotherusernameisbetter Tue 30-Dec-14 13:04:27

That's ridiculous - I'd have complained to the cinema I'm afraid. It's not exactly cheap to go, so in our house it's a treat and to have it ruined by something so stupid would do my head in!

Also, while we are on the subject, do you all take your rubbish (popcorn boxes, drinks cartons etc) out of the cinema and put it in the bin in the hallway (or black bag if staff member standing holding one)? We always do and DC have been doing that since they were tiny but I've seen loads of people (with kids) who just get up and leave it behind. DS2 (13) recently went with his friend and picked up his box etc for the bin when they were leaving and his friend said "just leave that, that's what the people are paid to do, pick up after us" shock DS was taken aback by his attitude and took his stuff anyway and just said "well i've picked it up now..." but is wary of being made fun of by his friends if he goes again. sad

Dancingincircles Tue 30-Dec-14 13:09:11

What idiots on so many levels.

BuzzardBirdRoast Tue 30-Dec-14 13:11:22

If you had complained to staff they would have dealt with it.

Tinkerball Tue 30-Dec-14 13:13:13

I would have complained, staff would have told them to move it. It's far too expensive these dads going to the cinema to have it ruined by inconsiderate other people.

NowBringUsSomeFuzzpiggyPudding Tue 30-Dec-14 13:16:11

Of course YANBU. Definitely should've complained at the time

FiveHoursSleep Tue 30-Dec-14 16:20:47

Thanks, I'm glad it's not just me being a grumpy git.
I'm surprised the ladies in front of us didn't complain actually. T
hey were making strangling gestures with their hands, which isn't nice but I get their POV.
Othername, we don't usually buy food in the cinema, but if we do, then we take the rubbish out.

MetellaEstMater Tue 30-Dec-14 16:27:06

Another thing to be added to this:

[http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/legacy/markkermode/2010/12/the_moviegoers_code_of_conduct.html Wittertainment code of conduct]]

MetellaEstMater Tue 30-Dec-14 16:27:55

www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/legacy/markkermode/2010/12/the_moviegoers_code_of_conduct.html

Oops. Apologies

Muchtoomuchtodo Tue 30-Dec-14 16:30:14

YANBU - things that block people's view should be allowed except in the back row. I thought that The Hobbit is a 12 though, so am surprised that such a young child was allowed in.

We always clear our empty drinks and popcorn containers, though I always wonder why the recycling bins aren't more obvious.

amicissimma Tue 30-Dec-14 16:35:39

<adds a pin to useful-stuff-that-lives-in-handbag>

Viviennemary Tue 30-Dec-14 16:40:01

That is just so inconsiderate. I would have asked one of the staff members to have a word with them. But as nothing was said they probably assumed nobody minded. Some folk!!

Nancy66 Tue 30-Dec-14 16:45:04

YANBU - but please don't call it a 'movie theatre'.

Storytown Tue 30-Dec-14 16:51:30

Nancy, I was itching to say that but controlled myself, just.

SoonToBeSix Tue 30-Dec-14 16:57:48

My other I don't think the staff would thank you for picking up your rubbish. My friend works in a cinema and if everyone picked up there rubbish they would employ less staff.

myotherusernameisbetter Tue 30-Dec-14 16:59:54

I couldn't just walk out and leave it all lying there though. That just seems rude especially as we need to walk past the bin anyway.

SoonToBeSix Tue 30-Dec-14 17:11:58

Their rubbish!

SoonToBeSix Tue 30-Dec-14 17:13:19

I know it has left me in a dilemma myother as my friend is very grateful for her minimum wage job cleaning in the cinema.

guiltynetter Tue 30-Dec-14 17:20:31

Nancy yes! unless the OP is actually American.

FiveHoursSleep Tue 30-Dec-14 17:22:17

Nah, I'm a Kiwi. Sorry for using the wrong words.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now