Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to not want to take dd?

(10 Posts)
PoppySausage Tue 30-Dec-14 11:54:59

New Years party at a friends house and 2 children have hand foot and mouth and conjunctivitis. I love my friends dearly and want to go but am worried about dd getting both and me having to have time off work in the new year.

I have had conjunctivitis a lot and was in hospital with it when I was younger. Worried dd may suffer like me.

Also, I am trying to get back into work with my old employer too and trying to make a good impression

SpidersInTheBox Tue 30-Dec-14 12:03:16

I wouldn't go.

PoppySausage Tue 30-Dec-14 12:04:24

Stressing me out as none of the other mums seem fussed and look pfb

Saki5000 Tue 30-Dec-14 12:10:50

I wouldn't go. I had a similar problem when I didn't want my children to be in contact with my nephew who had chicken pox. My SIL was a SAHM and didn't understand the issue but I bet she understands now that she is back at work!

ChippingInLovesChristmasLights Tue 30-Dec-14 12:13:47

Hand, foot & mouth is miserable, there's no way I'd take my children somewhere that I know they're likely to get it. No way. So what if they think you are being precious about it, it won't be them suffering from it, nor them taking time off work & school.

MangoBiscuit Tue 30-Dec-14 12:14:39

I wouldn't go either. I caught HF&M as an adult and it knocked me sidewards, bloody awful.

Vycount Tue 30-Dec-14 12:15:51

Don't go, what if you catch it?

Idefix Tue 30-Dec-14 12:37:06

I would probably go if it was just the conjunctivitis as there is no risk once it is being treated, children don't even have to stay away from school/nursery once the conjunctivitis is being treated. The hand foot and mouth is more problematic. How long have the children had it? The infectious period lasts for one week after the symptoms start.
If they have had it longer than a week I would consider going.

Hurr1cane Tue 30-Dec-14 12:50:42

I'd not. I'd be dead stressed and wouldn't enjoy it anyway. If you're worried about looking PFB just say you're really tired/ had a bad night or something, maybe drop some wine off in the day at the door as an apology?

PoppySausage Tue 30-Dec-14 14:48:32

Thanks everyone, I'm not going. It's been cancelled actually as it turns out other parents had worries too. Horrible!

Hadn't even considered getting it myself! That would be nasty!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now