Talk

Advanced search

To be embarrassed by my snoring

(12 Posts)
marmitenot Tue 30-Dec-14 09:43:10

I find it mortifying. I am not overweight, I don't smoke. I don't drink. I am female. So why do I snore badly? It is so bad I don't stay overnight with relatives any more because of the snoring.

My husband is at the end of his tether and I am horrified that I am the cause.

LadyLuck10 Tue 30-Dec-14 09:45:17

I too am/do neither of those and I snore occasionally but this is only when I'm extremely tired.

gamerchick Tue 30-Dec-14 09:45:47

See your gp and ask to be referred to a sleep clinic?

EnriqueTheRingBearingLizard Tue 30-Dec-14 09:46:00

Do you have any symptoms of nasal polyps?

marmitenot Tue 30-Dec-14 09:48:41

How bad does it have to be to be referred to a sleep clinic?

Sorry- what are the symptoms of nasal polyps?

Thanks everyone

beamme Tue 30-Dec-14 09:52:01

DH has snored for years and it is gradually getting worse, to the extent that I am struggling to sleep. He is a normal weight for his height too. Finally went to GP and referred to ENT. DH has excess flesh at the back of his throat which he's having removed at the end of the month. Worth visiting the GP.

DialsMavis Tue 30-Dec-14 09:52:32

Me too, although I do drink and it's worse then or when I have a cold. I thought it was because I was fat, but I'm not fat anymore. It's mortifying, we are staying with friends for nye and I'm dreading it already. DD is 4 and the tiniest, daintiest little thing and she snores too. We can hear her from downstairs occasionally. DS had to share a room with her over Christmas and we found him asleep in the bath to get away from her as every other room was full of family

TongueBiter Tue 30-Dec-14 09:53:36

I'm the same. My gp wouldnt do anything as I'm not overweight. I said the back of my mouth feels 'floppy' so he suggested finding a speech therapist for exercises.

I hate snoring - it would stop me from sleeping with someone, or staying at relatives confused

mermaid101 Tue 30-Dec-14 10:29:17

I used to be like this. It's horrible. And people feel the need to comment on it so much and with so much hilarity. It put me off doing all sorts of things.

It mainly sorted itself out when I had my tonsils out as an adult. I also used to use a throat spray something like this. It helped a bit. Have you always had this problem?

nytol.co.uk/stop-snoring/

TongueBiter Tue 30-Dec-14 11:53:41

I'll try that spray. I used to have a recording app to hear exactly how bad I was through the night. Unfortunately DS(5) started playing the recordings to some random woman he was sitting next to in a waiting room ...

MiddleAgedandConfused Tue 30-Dec-14 23:52:59

We are a house of snorers - dh and I both got worse and worse as we got older. Have tried everything but not found a solution. I know many people my age who have given up the fight and sleep separately to stay sane. Sorry I can't offer any advice!

PinkyAndTheBump Tue 30-Dec-14 23:59:37

Have a look at a Somnowell device. Not cheap but it definitely works.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now