Talk

Advanced search

discounts in the UK are very stingy compared with our European counterparts

(25 Posts)
sandibeach Tue 30-Dec-14 07:57:33

Does anyone else find attraction discounts a bit stingy in the UK? Often as a 60+ I just get 1 pound or 10% off the price, European countries give 50% or 75% off. Some places don't even offer any senior discounts!

ilovesooty Tue 30-Dec-14 08:18:37

I don't see why discounts should start at 60 anyway. The vast majority of people are still expected to be working long after that.

DoubleValiumLattePlease Tue 30-Dec-14 08:21:39

I also fail to see why you should get massive discounts just for being over 60! Can you help me to understand and perhaps explain?

OddBoots Tue 30-Dec-14 08:22:39

Older people used to get more discounts as they were the poorest in society, that's not always the case now and many retailers are struggling. Other discounts are used when it makes good business sense.

ilovesooty Tue 30-Dec-14 08:26:51

Actually I'm not far short of 60 myself and would hate this to turn into a pensioner bashing thread. I'm wondering if in view of the OP 's only two threads she's being goady anyway.

However since the retirement age is creeping upwards along with life expectancy my point is that pensioners discounts as young as 60 aren't appropriate any more.

Sirzy Tue 30-Dec-14 08:35:25

I agree with the others. I Also think it's wrong to expect discounts rather than just enjoy them when available

sandibeach Tue 30-Dec-14 08:45:00

This isn't about age. Its about the discount, under 25s in Greece get entry to many things for free. Here it is apound or 10%

Sirzy Tue 30-Dec-14 08:48:40

And so over 25s pay more to make up for the discount! A fair system wouldn't need discounts at all as everyone would pay the same.

Places still need to make their money so if they offer money off for one group they will add that on to another groups entry cost

JassyRadlett Tue 30-Dec-14 08:56:39

As far as tourist attractions are concerned, we have many more eg galleries and museums that are free, compared to counterparts elsewhere in Europe.

NoisyOyster Tue 30-Dec-14 09:01:18

Yes and look at the state of the Greek economy.... hmm

roses2 Tue 30-Dec-14 09:07:36

Swings and roundabouts. The UK in general get larger discounts than Europe so perhaps retailers can't afford larger discounts than other nations.

Have you ever been clothes shopping in Greece, Italy or France? The UK is much cheaper.

MrsTerryPratchett Tue 30-Dec-14 09:12:09

I live in Canada and am absolutely amazed at being able to get into some of the finest museums in the world for free in London.

Discounts aren't really real, you know. They are based on someone paying because nothing is for free. Someone has to pay full price and more if you want a discount.

Alisvolatpropiis Tue 30-Dec-14 09:54:13

Yabu

Unexpected Tue 30-Dec-14 10:01:33

OP, many of the things which under 25s are getting discounts on in other countries are things which are free to everyone here! I agree with the poster who is amazed at how many galleries, museums etc are free to all in the UK. I have an under 25 colleague who sits next to me at work and am amazed (and jealous!) of the very discounted theatre tickets which she can access, just as an example of the reduced price events she enjoys. Please can you give examples of exactly what you feel isn't discounted sufficiently in the UK for older or younger people?

ConferencePear Tue 30-Dec-14 10:16:54

I think this very much depends on which country you are in. I have never seen any discounts for older people in France, but have been pleasantly surprised by the number of places which have completely free entry for under 10s or under 12s.

Hoppinggreen Tue 30-Dec-14 10:22:10

My parents and inlaws are n their 60's and 70's and get discounts all over the place - they don't need them and have more money than us.

LIZS Tue 30-Dec-14 10:25:18

And financially Greece is really sound ? Over 60s in London boroughs get a free Oyster card, whether they could afford one or not, working or not.

OnIlkleyMoorBahTwat Tue 30-Dec-14 10:30:49

There's usually a discount voucher available online for most places these days, you could use that instead.

Places offer discounts to attract more people in a group that are under-represented amongst their clientele. Maybe they already have plenty of pensioners attending anyway.

However, YABU to expect a discount because you are over 60. If you are retired, you can often go midweek or out of season, where admission is cheaper anyway. And many over 60s are better off than younger people who have to pay full price.

verasomerset Tue 30-Dec-14 19:41:41

Pensioners need these discounts as they are on a fixed income and many have health complaints. If someone younger wants more money they can just do some overtime or get another job, these options are not available for pensioners

LIZS Tue 30-Dec-14 19:48:34

But a lot of "pensioners"continue to work. Their income is not fixed.

ilovesooty Tue 30-Dec-14 19:49:03

If someone younger wants more money they can just do some overtime or get another job

The ageism on MN makes me angry but idiotic statements like that aren't helpful.

verasomerset Tue 30-Dec-14 19:52:27

Statements that younger people can improve their lives by getting a new job is idiotic?

Fed up with lazy people complaining about what other have, you want a bigger house retrain and get a better job. Take responsibility. The baby boomers were selfish, but they have passed this on to an even more selfish children

ilovesooty Tue 30-Dec-14 20:00:41

I think you're so out of touch regarding the current job market idiotic doesn't begin to cover it.

WhereYouLeftIt Tue 30-Dec-14 20:00:50

"Some places don't even offer any senior discounts!"
Why do you think they should? confused

OddBoots Tue 30-Dec-14 20:05:44

Discounts before 25 and after 60, yeah, great idea. They can inflate the prices for those between those ages to make up for it - it's not like that age group are trying to get on their feet with their careers, families and homes as well as saving for their own old age or anything.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now