Talk

Advanced search

Dp and his fricking snoring

(23 Posts)
wheresthelight Tue 30-Dec-14 02:05:31

I could actually cry. I can't wake the swine despite several hard elbow nudges and swift kicks, yelling at him to shut up hasn't helped so I now ensconced on the sofa with a thin blanket (adds spare duvet to shopping list) and pissed off that every time dd wakes up I will have to go upstairs to see to her because he never hears her or if he does he ignores her cos he assumes I will do it.

I know I know ltb

the patio is too nice to bury him under and the massive amount of snow and ice would make it too obvious to bury him elsewhere.

does anyone else have any tips yo survive? I need sleep

Bulbasaur Tue 30-Dec-14 02:10:23

Me and DH have a set time for shifts. He gets her at her midnight feed so I have a full night's rest, and I get her first thing in the morning while he gets to sleep in. We both get the sleep we need. But she's like clock work now, so that may not be possible for you. I'd agree on set times or set feedings.

Does he normally snore? If it's bad, see a doctor it could be a sign of sleep apnea. There's also mucinex nasal spray that will clear up congestion that he can take before bed if it's not serious.

If that doesn't work, club soda takes out blood stains. wink

daisychain01 Tue 30-Dec-14 02:12:21

Ear plugs.

A mallet.

Chamomile tea.

Not necessarily in that order! X

wheresthelight Tue 30-Dec-14 02:16:14

ear plugs don't work

club soda may be the answer!

the snoring is weight related but he has also had a cold.

shifts is pointless with dd he literally doesn't wake up and never has. we have had endless rows about his lazy ass expectations that I will just do it and nothing works. he is a stupidly heavy sleeper indicated by the fact I physically couldn't wake him toymaker hin sleep on the sofa

Bulbasaur Tue 30-Dec-14 02:33:33

he is a stupidly heavy sleeper indicated by the fact I physically couldn't wake him toymaker hin sleep on the sofa

Get a ton of pennies, or the UK equivalent of worthless metal coins, and stick a bag of them in the freezer. When you need to get him up, pull off blankets and dump them on him. It's like a bucket of ice cubes that won't melt on the bed. Then brush off the pennies and go back to sleep while he tends to DD. He's being deliberately lazy stubborn because you will pick up his slack, which is fair enough because you can't make a baby suffer for his stupidity.

Enough times of this and he'll get the picture. Or not, but at least you'll get satisfaction from waking him. wink

wheresthelight Tue 30-Dec-14 02:40:54

Haha bulb I have a convenient pennies jar in the kitchen! I may have to use this trick grin

sykadelic Tue 30-Dec-14 03:39:28

You said his snoring is weight related. Sleep apnea causes weight gain, and weight gain makes it worse... and so on and so forth.

I snore, or I did. I now have a CPAP machine and my DH and I sleep much better for it!

BritFlop Tue 30-Dec-14 04:11:39

I feel your pain. We have 3 month baby in room. Just spent past hour feeding him while DP snores beside me. Gave him a nudge when reached peak of irritation and got snapped at. He has courtyard that stops snoring but won't wear it cos uncomfortable.

--Every night--When it's really unbearable I go to spare room and have to jump up when baby wakes for feeds (breastfeeding). DP refuses to go in spare room as he finds the bed uncomfortable. Selfish knob.

BritFlop Tue 30-Dec-14 04:12:34

Mouth guard not courtyard hmm

Ohnonotagain2 Tue 30-Dec-14 06:50:03

I could have written this - I spent last night on the sofa too. If he's not snoring, he's mouth breathing really really loudly. I sleep with the baby monitor next to my head. He goes through phases of snoring and it's soul destroying. x

wheresthelight Tue 30-Dec-14 07:03:15

it's not sleep apnea - before he put the weight back in he never snored, he has a cold too that makes it worse.

dd woke up at 630 me stomping around having had no sleep woke him up, he changed her bum and has gone back to bed cos he is tired. I actually could punch him for being such a selfish git. before he fell deeply asleep last night and I asked him to shut up I got "will try a different position and if not will sleep on the sofa...sniff" I am putting the coins in the freezer as we speak

JamNan Tue 30-Dec-14 07:03:33

Bin there, sin it, done it. I feel your pain. I often thought about an electric cattle prod. DH now has a CPAP machine and we get enough sleep.

Insist he makes an appointment at a Sleep Clinic via your GP. Sleep apnoea can be life threatening.

JamNan Tue 30-Dec-14 07:06:03

I see it's not sleep apnoea. Perhaps I should have written sleep deprivation can be life threatening. You still need to get it sorted.

mofro Tue 30-Dec-14 07:10:58

I got one of those dh's too! He's snoring right now.....i woke up at 4am yesterday due to his snoring :-( no little kids thank goodness, just a tired sleep deprived me!

addictedtosugar Tue 30-Dec-14 07:44:08

DH snores less when he takes becanase (or the generic alternative) before bed. Initially it was prescribed by the gp, but we just get it over the counter now. He is in the spare bed ATM tho. Any chance of squeezing in another bed in the house so you don't end up on the sofa?

MissMogwi Tue 30-Dec-14 08:34:01

My DP snored terribly. I've never heard anything like it. If he has had a drink or has a cold it's even worse.

We don't have young children but it got to a point where I was getting about 2/3 hours sleep a night. It put a lot of strain on our otherwise great relationship, as I was exhausted and fuming with him every morning.

In fear for his life, DP has started using mouth strips from Boots. They make a huge difference and some nights I don't hear a peep from him.

I use ear plugs too, but of course if you have little ones that's not possible.

AwkwardSquad Tue 30-Dec-14 08:42:53

Mouth strips? What are these, please, MissMogwi?

MissMogwi Tue 30-Dec-14 08:51:05

They are called Re:Balance Throat Strips. They are minty gel strips that go in the roof of mouth. They have some magical properties that relax the throat tissues and stop them from vibrating.

They worked from the first night. I was amazed to be honest as he snores so, so loud.

There are other makes in Boots but we've stuck with this one as it works for us.

AwkwardSquad Tue 30-Dec-14 08:56:30

Thank you! Off to Boots now!

wheresthelight Tue 30-Dec-14 08:58:55

unfortunately the dsc's have high sleepers in their rooms so I am too heavy for them and dd is in a cot so no room for an extra bed.

he is still asleep and I have managed to grab half and hour since 1am I am fucking livid! luckily dd is in a quiet day mood so has happily entertained herself with toys and watched a bit of cbeebies

wheresthelight Tue 30-Dec-14 08:59:24

Am adding those strips to my shopping list

madchocolatemum48 Tue 30-Dec-14 09:18:37

Dh and have have slept in separate rooms for years because of his snoring. It drove me insane, not sleeping properly, getting woken up constantly.
Dh didn't think it was so bad and basically didn't want to deal with it. So I moved rooms. Best thing I did.

Jodie1982 Tue 30-Dec-14 09:33:59

My DP would always pretend not to hear our Baby, it got to a point where I'd be in tears with frustration and sleep deprivation (also have 3 other children) I ended up telling him to move out as he wasn't useful, I was doing all the hard n tiring stuff. He came bk home, he promised he'd help out more at night time, he now hears her every time she stirs! So I suggest a sharp kick up the arse for your DP. I'm pretty sure men are lazy because they know Mumma will jump every time baby cries. My DP is also a loud mouth breather/snorer. angry

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now