Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to expect MIL to get my dd's name right?

(86 Posts)
supersop60 Tue 30-Dec-14 00:52:04

My dd is 14. FOURTEEN. And yet MIL insists on getting her name wrong. For clarity, and I don't think I will out myself, her name is Joanna, and Mil calls her Joanne. My DP said 'come on mum, get her name right' and she replied 'oh, she knows what I mean'
WIBU to call MIL by another name to see how she likes it?

steppeupunderthemisletoe Tue 30-Dec-14 00:53:28

yep, call MIL by the wrong name until she changes. The best is her name slightly wrong.

MinnieM1 Tue 30-Dec-14 00:54:37

Argh this drives me mad!
I have an Isobel and it makes me stubby when people call her Isabella - that's a completely different name! So fricking rude!
Yes start callin her something totally random as in change Sue to Valerie or something, then just say "oh you know what I mean!" <evil grin>

MinnieM1 Tue 30-Dec-14 00:55:28

Stabby
It makes me stabby, not stubby
Angry fail

supersop60 Tue 30-Dec-14 00:56:59

MinnieM! - her name is Valerie!!!!

KingJarethsBulge Tue 30-Dec-14 00:58:23

YANBU. Take a letter or two of your MIL's name and replace them with different ones, since she's in the spirit of doing that.

Snapespotions Tue 30-Dec-14 00:58:28

It's very rude. Understandable if a stranger makes that kind of mistake, or even a friend - but her own grandmother?! shock

What does your dd say?

MinnieM1 Tue 30-Dec-14 01:00:17

Supersop60 no way?! shock am I psychic!?!

KingJarethsBulge Tue 30-Dec-14 01:00:18

Look, it's so infuriating that it's made Minne all stubby!

Call your MIL Mallory.

Discopanda Tue 30-Dec-14 01:02:05

*Minnie I have an Isabella and people keep calling her Isobel, clearly our daughters need to switch names! My nan, bless her, writes 'Isbel' on Isabella's cards and gift tags.

opalstones Tue 30-Dec-14 01:04:32

Start calling her Veruca smile

Discopanda Tue 30-Dec-14 01:06:02

Or Vagina!

MinnieM1 Tue 30-Dec-14 01:08:51

King grin
DiscoPanda Isbel?? She can't possibly think you named her Isbel? Saying that my Nan wrote Isobel's card to Isebel this year...as in what Nan, a frozen bell?? Odd!

StillInMeJimJams Tue 30-Dec-14 01:11:08

Oh OP. I too am Joanna and frequently get called Joanne. Not by my GPs, when they were alive, though. Start calling her Veronica!

I'm 47 and am used to it now, even though it does still piss me off ever so slightly. Particularly in work emails where people are replying to me and can't even be bothered to read my name and spell it correctly.

I tend to just use Jo now but even that has led to assumptions that my full name is Josephine. However, the best and most spectacular ever mispelling of my name was in a Christmas card from from someone I was at high school with.

It was addressed to Jew-Anna. shock

Quitethewoodsman Tue 30-Dec-14 01:11:54

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

WiggleGinger Tue 30-Dec-14 01:12:16

Glad its not just me!!!!!

Yes to calling MIL Malory !!!

disco..... I too have an Isabella whom many call Isobel it drives me nuts!!!

MrsSchadenfreude Tue 30-Dec-14 01:12:43

My Gran used to call me Sandra, and my great gran used to call me Christina. My name is neither of these (and nothing like either of them!). I gave up arguing when I was about four, and just answered to either name.

Discopanda Tue 30-Dec-14 01:14:35

quitethewoodsman do you mean a power thing like in 'Scrubs' when Dr Cox repeatedly called JD by girls names?

Maybe the whole Isbel/Isebel thing is a generational thing we're too young to know about...

mynewpassion Tue 30-Dec-14 01:26:34

Does your daughter mind? If she does, hearing her say it to her grandmother might make a bigger impact.

LucyLou2003 Tue 30-Dec-14 01:31:37

I'm a Joanna too and I get this all the time angry
Even though Joanne may look similar, I would never turn around if somebody shouted it in the street as I just wouldn't register it as my name, it would be like answering to 'Paula'
Some people get so offended when I (very politely) correct them and then insist on calling me JoannA! As if they're indulging me!
I once had a boss who said I was being pedantic when I corrected her and then made me a JoannA badge so she wouldn't forget!
Fortunately I have a nickname that all my friends and family use so now I only really have the problem with work colleagues (although ive worked in the same job for eight years angry) and new people I meet.

IsChippyMintonExDirectory Tue 30-Dec-14 01:50:00

Howling at 'Veruca' and 'Vagina'
And yes call her by another name!
I won't state my real name but I get it shortened constantly - think Elizabeth (as in I like the long version of my name) people call me Liz, Lizzie, Beth, etc. I think it's beyond rude and want to slap people who do it.

weaselsquirrel Tue 30-Dec-14 03:38:56

My nan died when my daughter was 18mnths old but called her Ellie-May this was not her name nor nothing like it. But she also quite often called me mark confused

HaloItsMeFell Tue 30-Dec-14 03:57:46

Good god, that would infuriate me. I thought you were going to say the baby was 3 weeks old and called something weird and unpronouncable.

It's rude, disrespectful and dismissive.

I think you should get your DD to speak out next time she does it. 'Granny for goodness sake, you've known me for 14 years, do you care so little about me that you can't even remember my name?'

Josie314 Tue 30-Dec-14 04:33:17

that is horrible! I hate it when people add an a on the end of my name. I just want to hit them!! I think you should start calling her Mallory too!!

MammaTJ Tue 30-Dec-14 04:36:01

I have a friend who gets called Val, her name is Valetta! Just saying……

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now