Talk

Advanced search

To buy dd a school skirt/trousers

(51 Posts)
apotatoprintinapeartree Mon 29-Dec-14 20:53:39

Posting here for traffic because I have lost the plot.

Its my dd 11th birthday soon and treating her to new wardrobe, other family members are giving her money to choose her own things.

She is mainly jeans, t shirt and hoody which is fine.
However, sometimes she needs something a bit smarter, she doesn't like dresses and most don't suit her anyway, either too old looking or childs don't fit.

I suppose the style she needs is conservative, even if just 2 outfits.

She doesn't attend school so doesn't have a uniform so its not like she wears this all the time and is bored, or would feel in uniform.

I don't know what else to buy and need to find something soon, does this sound right or AIBU and others can think of so many better options.
Also, what would you wear on top to soften the uniform look.

Storytown Mon 29-Dec-14 21:01:55

would something like this work for her?

apotatoprintinapeartree Mon 29-Dec-14 21:12:23

Yes, storytown it would many thanks.

What about a top, not sure what type.
can you tell my fashion sense is terrible. grin

SaucyJack Mon 29-Dec-14 21:13:41

I do think YWBU to buy her actual school uniform tbh.

There must be a shop somewhere that sells smart clothes for pre-teens (don't ask me tho- my pre teen wears leopard print stuff from Primark)

Storytown Mon 29-Dec-14 21:15:40

I've no idea, I can barely dress myself and I have boys with no interest in clothes whatsoever grin I would have thought a long sleeved T-shirt would be smart enough for most occasions on an 11yo, rather than buying something that will hardly be worn.

TenMinutesEarly Mon 29-Dec-14 21:20:15

What type of conservative event? I think school uniform would look totally out of place at most places other than school. What about black leggings and a tunic top?

apotatoprintinapeartree Mon 29-Dec-14 21:21:05

thanks storytown

We have 2 much older ds and dd is our only girl.
I wasn't/ aren't very girly so really don't mind the usual clothes she wears at all, but several occasions coming up call for more dressed/conservative clothes.

Saucy

I wouldn't have bought a school shirt to go with the skirt as would look quite stark, maybe loose sweater or pretty blouse if I could bribe her grin

Storytown Mon 29-Dec-14 21:21:37

That's why I liked that skirt. It's sold as school uniform but it's not obviously a school uniform style. It's just a black skirt.

joanne1947 Mon 29-Dec-14 21:24:07

I'm a lot concerned by She doesn't attend school so doesn't have a uniform and wonder why she does not go to school? It seems strange for an 11 year old not to go to school.

Smartiepants79 Mon 29-Dec-14 21:24:47

What about smart shorts?
School uniform will always look like school uniform and a bit odd outside of school in my opinion.

apotatoprintinapeartree Mon 29-Dec-14 21:25:35

TenMinutes

She has auditions, school interview, meetings with producers and agents.
Maybe now I've written it down it means more than one set of conservative clothes.
For rehearsals its usually jeans, leggings, t shirts, hoodies, baseball boots etc and this is fine, but meetings and initial contacts need something more dressy, but not too dressed up iyswim.

Nelehwelly Mon 29-Dec-14 21:26:08

Home-schooled, Joanne?

AugustaGloop Mon 29-Dec-14 21:27:35

I can't think of any occasion where DDs would wear school skirt or trousers outside of school. They do have some smart clothes though so maybe if you tell us the occasion we can find something suitable?

SavoyCabbage Mon 29-Dec-14 21:27:55

I would buy her a dress. A dress can be worn on formal occasions and you look smart straight away. And the advantage of dresses is that you put them on and you are totally dressed. You don't have to think which top goes with which bottom.

AugustaGloop Mon 29-Dec-14 21:29:17

www.zara.com/uk/en/sale/kids/girl/skirts-and-shorts/pleated-skirt-with-waist-detail-c705506p2254019.html

This skirt?

AugustaGloop Mon 29-Dec-14 21:30:34

This one?
www.zara.com/uk/en/sale/kids/girl/skirts-and-shorts/pleated-skirt-with-buckle-c705506p2322512.html

Smartiepants79 Mon 29-Dec-14 21:31:06

Definitely don't buy grey.
What about smart leggings and more dressy tunic tops.
With some proper shoes it can look very smart and age appropriate.

SaucyJack Mon 29-Dec-14 21:31:30

Is this any good?

Smart, but not babyish or girly.

Dawndonnaagain Mon 29-Dec-14 21:33:06

There are many home schooled children, Joanne.

AugustaGloop Mon 29-Dec-14 21:34:16

Trousers?

www.zara.com/uk/en/sale/kids/girl/leggings---trousers/buckled-wool-trousers-c437503p2225021.html

apotatoprintinapeartree Mon 29-Dec-14 21:40:22

Saucy, lovely skirt but not her colours.

I won't buy grey, she does suit black, strangely enough.

I like the Zara skirt and will look at the length.
She is 5ft2 and a broad muscly girl so strappy type tops are out and her legs are muscly too.

I suppose she is what would be termed a bonnie lass.

I understand the point about school uniform, it does look out of place anywhere else, I totally agree. Even the school interview they know she is H.ed so would look a bit like we'd bought one for the occasion.

There are some brilliant ideas here, thank you all very much.
Hadn't thought of Next as the stores don't usually stock up to age 16 and I'm a store shopper usually.

Don't get her a school skirt! It will look wrong. The one from next wouldn't look right either, in my opinion.

Why not find some nice dresses that suit her or some nice trousers and tops.

What sort of producers,auditions and school interviews will she be having?

MmeMorrible Mon 29-Dec-14 21:42:48

This thread is reminding me of Ballet Shoes when Sylvia and Nana are trying to clothe the girls for their auditions!

Definitely not school clothes, there are much nicer smart outfits around. Try Crew Clothing or Esprit both have teen ranges. Also Lands End have nice girls outfits and a 50% sale on now.

slippermaiden Mon 29-Dec-14 21:43:47

Next sell lovely clothes for girls. Some formal and some informal stuff, don't buy uniform, she will look like she is wearing uniform!

youarekiddingme Mon 29-Dec-14 21:43:54

I'd suggest looking through catalogues - next for example. They often show different styles of clothing but as sets iyswim? She may get away with a skirt and 3/4 different tops she could alternate with it?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now