Talk

Advanced search

To not want to organise/pay for my own birthday event?

(16 Posts)
Evabeaversprotege Mon 29-Dec-14 20:51:45

Or even have one?

My birthday is in January, a group of family/friends usually want to get together (we do it on all our birthdays throughout the year)

Last year they said as mine fell in January they couldn't afford to eat out or go for a night out. Fair enough, I put food in oven & we ate at mine.

This year one friend text me last week to ask if I'd be up for a show for my birthday, I said yes but not to be fussing as I know money is tight in jan & I'm happy with a chat over a cuppa etc

She replied saying the others are up for it but can't afford the tickets & if I'd put it on my credit card.

I said no, it was too much & I was happy to do nothing.

AIBU to just not want to do anything now? I know I was annoyed last year as I had to come up with something for us to do, it's not a significant birthday - what's wrong with a card & a cake?

FlorenceMattell Mon 29-Dec-14 20:57:03

Can't believe she wants you to buy theatre tickets for them ???
Tell her 1. you can't afford to pay for them all 2.that she is being very rude.
Yes meet for coffee and cake.

brokenhearted55a Mon 29-Dec-14 21:01:20

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ilovepowerhoop Mon 29-Dec-14 21:04:50

cheeky mare asking for you to pay for the tickets!

Evabeaversprotege Mon 29-Dec-14 21:05:19

Brokenhearted I think she wants me to put them on my card & they reimburse me, but who could afford 6 (maybe 7) tickets at almost £30 each?

I think its a bad idea anyway as if they can't afford the tickets they can't afford to reimburse me (and I can't afford to put it all on my card)

Mollymoofer Mon 29-Dec-14 21:06:10

That's just weird. Does she mean that they'll pay you back?

Mollymoofer Mon 29-Dec-14 21:06:55

x post. If you can't afford to do it then just say so. No embarrassment there if they've already said they can't do it on their cc.

helensburgh Mon 29-Dec-14 21:07:02

Friends? Are you sure?

You at completely right to do as you have,

brokenhearted55a Mon 29-Dec-14 21:10:03

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Bulbasaur Mon 29-Dec-14 21:25:10

Yeah, if they can't afford to buy their own now, they won't be able to afford to pay you back. Why can't they put it on their own credit cards?

Evabeaversprotege Mon 29-Dec-14 21:57:17

Yes, the risk of not buying together means you could end up sitting apart.

I feel they should have discussed it, decided if 1) they could all afford it and 2) wanted to go and 3) decided how to pay for it before asking me if I was up for it.

It's a mix of friends/sisters/SILs that make up the group.

greenfolder Mon 29-Dec-14 22:26:34

Celebrate your birthday on payday in January. My birthday is sadly on Valentine's day so I celebrate it on 7th with my friends.

Dowser Mon 29-Dec-14 22:41:20

Also if you pay for all the tickets and someone can't make it, you could get saddled with paying for that ticket.

Jodie1982 Mon 29-Dec-14 22:44:11

Cheeky Fucka!! Lol some people r so rude!

musicalendorphins2 Tue 30-Dec-14 04:46:08

Yanbu.

FlorenceMattell Tue 30-Dec-14 16:27:53

If they want you to put on your card then they should give you cash or BACs payments through first. No refund if don't attend etc. btw if over so many tickets you sometimes get one free.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now