Talk

Advanced search

To stop DH taking DS swimming today

(29 Posts)
inconceivableme Mon 29-Dec-14 17:07:19

DH has had a cold for about 3 weeks which turned to flu over Christmas resulting in a temperature of 40c and teeth chattering uncontrollably, vomiting and two days (26th and 27th) spent entirely in bed. He finally went to the GP today and has been given antibiotics. DS (2) was
also v unwell with as persistent mucous cough and cold up until Christmas and only finished antibiotics himself about 10 days ago but is well again now.
DH has cabin fever and has been resting all day while I took DS to see relatives. We got in half an hour ago and DH announced he wants us all to go swimming as DS hasn't been for weeks and really likes it. I said I didn't think it's a good idea with DH having only started antibiotics today and still not feeling completely better and with it being so cold. I know colds are viruses not caused by swimming, but still! AIBU to say wait a few more days before going swimming?!

amy83firsttimer Mon 29-Dec-14 17:09:10

I'd have said that too. Suggest another activity?

MyballsareSandy Mon 29-Dec-14 17:09:51

Not unreasonable at all, he's nuts and should be resting in the warm.

Hakluyt Mon 29-Dec-14 17:10:00

I think if they feel up to it and don't go for too long they'll be fine. But I am famously 'oh just power through it"

Shakey1500 Mon 29-Dec-14 17:10:31

I probably wouldn't go swimming. A walk to blow the cobwebs away would be better perhaps? Sorry they've been ill, our DS7 was rotten with flu over Christmas as well and whilst better, has a lingering cough. Horrible to see them ill over what should be such an exciting time!

catsofa Mon 29-Dec-14 17:14:02

I'm pregnant and there are only a few types of exercise I'm meant to do. Swimming is one of them. My immune system is suppressed a bit due to pregnancy, and I've just had a really nasty cold right over xmas. Please don't let him go swimming and very possibly expose me to a nasty bug!

JavelinArse Mon 29-Dec-14 17:14:56

I think he's mad for wanting to go but if he wants to and DS is up for it then I don't see why they shouldn't.

redskybynight Mon 29-Dec-14 17:15:31

Swimming with a 2 year old surely doesn't involve much actual swimming though? More just splashing about in shallow water? If DH feels up to it, I think you should go- it's nice that he's thought of a family activity.

Stillyummy Mon 29-Dec-14 17:16:43

Men! That is all I have to say.

JavelinArse Mon 29-Dec-14 17:21:42

Yeah, bloody men, wanting to take their kids out and spend time having fun with them!! hmm

dancingwithmyselfandthecat Mon 29-Dec-14 17:24:39

COLDS DON'T TURN TO FLU They are different viruses for fucks sake.

(Disclaimer - I have been in bed with actual flu for over a fortnight. Mostly unable to lift my head. The confusion between the two is fucking me right off).

CMOTDibbler Mon 29-Dec-14 17:26:36

Actually, I think swimming would be good. I find the humidity really helps a cough.

rosy71 Mon 29-Dec-14 17:41:59

I agree- colds definitely don't turn into flu.

I wouldn't go swimming. If dh has been in the house all day, he probably isn't as well as he thinks he is. A short walk would be better.

ProudAS Mon 29-Dec-14 17:47:47

He's a grown man so you can't stop him but suggest something shorter abd less strenuous.

Cherriesandapples Mon 29-Dec-14 17:53:17

I think it was unreasonable to take antibiotics for a cold. Temperatures can be lowered with fans and paracetamol. I wish people would realise that if people keep taking antibiotics for colds then in a few years time antibiotics will not be effective as people will be resistant towards them. I don't get the not swimming thing either.

WooWooOwl Mon 29-Dec-14 17:57:20

I'd let a grown man make his own choice about whether he was well enough to splash around in a warm baby pool or not.

Trazzletoes Mon 29-Dec-14 18:01:40

Has he vomited in the past 48 hours?

BoomBoomsCousin Mon 29-Dec-14 18:31:20

I think YABU. On what grounds are you wanting to "stop" him? It sounds like your DS should be fine swimming, and your DH's health is his own responsibility (why is he on antibiotics?). The only thing that would make me think YANBU would be if he had form for wearing himself out while ill doing things he likes and then leaving all the drudge work to you because he's then too exhausted.

306235388 Mon 29-Dec-14 18:42:47

In our local pool it says you should not go swimming if you've had vomiting or diarrhea in the last 14 days.

Incidentally, it sounds more like the cold turned into a bacterial chest infection. Flu comes on VVV suddenly.

DancingDinosaur Mon 29-Dec-14 18:45:37

He's a grown man. Its down to him.

inconceivableme Mon 29-Dec-14 19:06:40

They went for a walk in the end.

I'm glad not everyone thinks IABU.

Boomboom - he struggled on at work with a nasty cold and sinusitis for two weeks prior to Christmas because he felt he had to and then struggled through Christmas Day. I want him to recover properly from whatever he's had and start the New Year healthy. He's usually a v involved Dad and so not unusual that he wants to do stuff with his son (all Dads should as far as I'm concerned! grin ) but yes, having him out of action has had an impact on me and I've not had the most restful Christmas as a result.

AFAIK colds don't cause a fever of 40 degrees under the arm and vomiting, though I could be wrong as clearly I don't know as much as some on here.grin

He's not vomited since the early hours of 27th but you're right to point out the D&V risks re: swimming.

Yes, he's a grown man but he's taking OUR child swimming so I think I have a right to input.

Someone queried why he's taking antibiotics. It's because the GP gave them to him, along with Beconase nasal spray. I'm aware of the issue re antibiotic resistance but I tend to defer to medical professionals on whether they're needed and as we have a family member with a permanently suppressed immune system, having them is often
necessary.

inconceivableme Mon 29-Dec-14 19:09:02

dancing - I'm sorry you've been unwell and it's made you shouty. As I said above, even if not flu, what he's had goes beyond a simple cold to be treated with lemsip / paracetamol, though I could be wrong.

Hope you feel better soon.

WeeFreeKings Mon 29-Dec-14 19:16:30

Whilst colds don't turn into flu having a cold can make your immune system more prone to flu if exposed to it. My DD & I had 2 separate colds over a period of 6 weeks one continously running into the other between us. The first could have been a cold and then (apart from the fact I've had a flu jab) the second theoretically could have been flu thus describing the OP's DH's situation.

I know mine wasn't flu because I've had it & remember the fever, aching, shivering, sweating but her DH's symptoms do suggest it.

makeminea6x Mon 29-Dec-14 19:20:28

It doesn't really matter but the flu is also a virus so not treated by antibiotics. Sounds like the GP found evidence of a secondary bacterial infection (maybe sinusitis) and that's what caused the fever and required antibiotics.
Cold or flu, antibiotics will be no good to you!

Rainbunny Mon 29-Dec-14 19:23:31

Well it has been shown that exercise helps us fight viruses like colds more quickly. I am confused that your DS was prescribed antibiotics though? They can't help fight viruses including colds or flu I would think.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now