Talk

Advanced search

Am I an evil mother?

(99 Posts)
Tutteredboast Mon 29-Dec-14 11:54:27

Sitting in a plane waiting to take off. DD and DH are sitting together. I am one extra seat away by the window. It's not busy, so the seat in between is vacant. Have just had two stewardesses with arms folded looking pityingly at DD saying, you can move, we just thought you may prefer to sit with your child.
Am I evil to want to look out of the window and sip wine today?

Tutteredboast Mon 29-Dec-14 11:55:03

Oops don't want to drip feed, it is my birthday!

Being your birthday has nothing to do with it. I find it bizarre tbh and a little rude but that's just me

vestandknickers Mon 29-Dec-14 11:57:20

Your choice I guess. I'd rather sit with my family on my birthday.

Happy birthday though. Hope you're flying somewhere nice.

DropYourSword Mon 29-Dec-14 11:59:28

Make the most of the extra room. They are a seat away, not a plane length!

Letthemtalk Mon 29-Dec-14 11:59:32

Yanbu at all! Make the most of it, look out the window, read a book, drink wine! You are not an evil mum for wanting an hour or two off

FryOneFatManic Mon 29-Dec-14 11:59:37

If you're still on the same row, just that one seat between you, then no, you are not a bad mother, you ARE sat with your DD, just with more space.

Your DH is also her parent, so I assume equally capable of looking after her?

Why do people want to assume that all mothers want to be surgically joined to their children.

Enjoy your wine, and happy birthday thanks

catgirl1976 Mon 29-Dec-14 12:00:13

You're one seat away? It's hardly like you've banged them in economy and sat yourself in first. I wouldn't worry. How old is your DD?

Mrsstarlord Mon 29-Dec-14 12:01:02

confused I'd joke about doing that but wouldn't actually do it. Seems odd to me.

Dipankrispaneven Mon 29-Dec-14 12:01:24

Presumably if your DD wants to sit close to you there's nothing to stop her moving into the empty seat?

FamiliesShareGerms Mon 29-Dec-14 12:01:34

Yeah, completely evil - I would do the same

FryOneFatManic Mon 29-Dec-14 12:02:57

The OP is wanting to sit by the window and look out, perfectly understandable on a plane.

There's just one seat between her DD and her, with her DH on the other side.

There's NOTHING stopping her DD and DH moving up next to the OP, why does SHE have to be the one to move?

EBearhug Mon 29-Dec-14 12:03:46

Sitting by the window is the only place to sit on a plane so you can look down on a tiny world and pretend you're god. Today's weather should make it a great flight to look out of the window from.

You'll spend the rest of your holiday with the family, and they can talk to you if necessary - it's not like they're very far away..

nevergooglebrandybutter Mon 29-Dec-14 12:07:54

If that's evil then so am I. I don't like kids on planes, especially my own.grin

spending my birthday wrestling achold with sore ears is no my idea of a fun way to spend a couple of hours.

assuming dh is competent and happy with the situation, get some wine and nibbles and enjoysmile

YANBU - I'm assuming that there is an aisle between you and your DD and DH, as I can't think of any planes that have 4 seats in a row by the window?
Not an issue - your DD could get up and come and sit next to you if she chose.

I haven't sat by the window for a while now - but next time I fly, we'll be able to have the 3 seats by the window, only DS1 will doubtless have the actual window seat. I'll be in the aisle seat, blocking their exit. grin<sigh>

MrsTerryPratchett Mon 29-Dec-14 12:16:11

I am astounded that the air stewards give a tiny shite that you are sitting one seat away from a child who could presumably move it they wanted.

Number3cometome Mon 29-Dec-14 12:20:38

I am sure OH will cope!

Wow all the super mums are out in force today.

Yeah course you lot NEVER have a couple of hours to yourself.

I mean wow, sitting away from your child for a flight is really going to cause long lasting damage now isn't it?

Geez give the woman a break.

I actually find it strange when women cannot be apart from their children!!

TheReluctantCountess Mon 29-Dec-14 12:22:26

There's a seat between you. This is a non-issue.

TheReluctantCountess Mon 29-Dec-14 12:22:56

Enjoy your wine too.

IfNotNowThenWhen Mon 29-Dec-14 12:25:31

No. You would only be an evil mother if you had taken your private jet, equipped with Superhero killing gadgets, and were using your quiet time to hatch a plan to destroy the wooooorrrrrrrlllddd.
Bwahahaha a a hahaha a a a a.

winkywinkola Mon 29-Dec-14 12:28:09

Good for you. Relax if you can.

No harm done to anyone. God, I hope my dcs would be cool with that and just come over to me when they felt like it.

Your dcs might be relishing a tiny bit of independence too.

You're one or two seats away fgs.

I might think you were a bit more evil if your DH and DD were in cattle class and you were living it up in first class, however.

MrsMincePie Mon 29-Dec-14 12:43:53

YANBU have a lovely birthday

saoirse31 Mon 29-Dec-14 12:46:09

Enjoy! !!!

Floggingmolly Mon 29-Dec-14 12:48:31

Why is the fact that it's your birthday relevant? Are you planning a mini party for one in your seat(s)?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now