Talk

Advanced search

To suggest that instead of posting just to mark your place

(50 Posts)
U2TheEdge Mon 29-Dec-14 11:12:50

You simply bookmark the last post you read then scroll up and click on 'watch this thread'

That way threads don't have to be full up with 'marking place' comments?

A minor gripe I know, but it happens all the time and very few people seem to realise that you don't have to post you are marking your place to actually keep up with a thread.

WorraLiberty Mon 29-Dec-14 11:15:38

I think people do it to read the deletion message as you cant see it on a watched thread.

It's on tech's long list of things to do though (add the message to the watched threads).

PrimalLass Mon 29-Dec-14 11:16:01

I don't know how to bookmark, but 'Watch this thread' does the same thing I think.

Writerwannabe83 Mon 29-Dec-14 11:17:45

I think it's add to to the excitement to know so many people are following and anticipating the conclusion grin

DandyHighwayman Mon 29-Dec-14 11:20:16

Hemhem just to say no bookmark on MNclassic.

Hence:

TiggyD Mon 29-Dec-14 11:20:32

How about posting something that doesn't add to the thread at all, but isn't an obvious placemark?

TiggyD Mon 29-Dec-14 11:20:41

Hmm?

DropYourSword Mon 29-Dec-14 11:22:18

<marks place for potential bunfight>

wink

U2TheEdge Mon 29-Dec-14 11:22:21

So I am probably being unreasonable then grin

ilovesooty Mon 29-Dec-14 12:48:59

placemarking is MN speak for "knitting round the guillotine. grin

ScrambledeggLDCcakeBOAK Mon 29-Dec-14 16:32:21

Marking my place with bated breath grin

because I don't know how to bookmark and watch this thread doesn't show me which post I last read blush

Trills Mon 29-Dec-14 16:34:47

Watch This Thread is no good to me, because I forget to go and look at "Threads I'm Watching"

I would suggest that instead of posting

"marking my place"

you just come up with a minimum level of contribution like

"good luck"

or

"thinking of you"

or

"this is the funniest thread I've read all year"

or

"I love Burmese blues"

or

"I agree with TiggyD "

wink

and pretend that you are contributing when really you are just marking your place.

iklboo Mon 29-Dec-14 16:35:07

Can you bookmark on the app?

2rebecca Mon 29-Dec-14 16:36:42

In general the more "exciting" and bookmarked a thread is the more likely it is to be trollery with everyone loving a good "story"

VikingLady Mon 29-Dec-14 16:38:08

You can't bookmark on the app or access bookmarks you've put on via the proper site. And watched threads are a pain to find and not in order, so yanbu I'm afraid.

AlpacaLypse Mon 29-Dec-14 16:41:52

Scrambled are you on the nice old fashioned pc browser version, or the mobile or app version? I'll give you a tutorial in bookmarking if you're on pc.

Meanwhile, those of us who placemark to get the deletion message (like I used to do a lot), I've just received an email from HQ about Drandad's Medals, which I read enough of to have serious doubts about and reported. I didn't post on the thread at all, not wishing to feed the troll if she/he was one. Five minutes ago the thread was still up although the blue message to say it would be deleted shortly and the reasons why had been posted. Wording identical to the email I received.

HQ don't do the witty funny deletion notices the way they used to as they know it encourages us ghouls concerned MNetters to placemark and thus keep a troll thread high in Active Conversations.

Trills Mon 29-Dec-14 16:41:59

Is there ANY way in which the app is better than just using the mobile site with the browser on your phone?

TheMuppetsSingChristmas Mon 29-Dec-14 17:15:17

I can do all of those things Viking!

TheMuppetsSingChristmas Mon 29-Dec-14 17:20:28

So what happened with granddad's medals Alpaca!

fedupandfeelingold Mon 29-Dec-14 17:33:30

I too (on mobile) no idea how to bookmark then watch?

cardibach Mon 29-Dec-14 17:36:53

I can't find my last post on a thread without major scrolling. How do I do that? then I can start placemarking too

Andante57 Mon 29-Dec-14 17:43:14

Alpaca - why did you have doubts about the Grandad's medals thread? Genuine question.

AlpacaLypse Tue 30-Dec-14 08:34:31

Muppets and Andante - it read like a soap plot. In fact there was a soap plot (Corrie I believe) that had a very similar line. And OP had never posted before, saying she'd namechanged for the duration. Some perfectly reasonable questions were asked which OP never addressed. So I reported it. HQ emailed me to say

'Thank you for all your reports about that thread - we're not entirely sure the OP is on the level, so we're going be to deleting it shortly.'

AwfulBeryl Tue 30-Dec-14 08:37:45

Is using the creepy wee brackets ok ?

<not marking my place at all, oh no.>

Surely that's better than

msrisotto Tue 30-Dec-14 08:41:07

I'll admit to being incredibly dense - but how do you bookmark? I can only see "watch this thread" - which doesn't show me the last post I read.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now