Talk

Advanced search

To think there's every possibility that the "Hacking" originated with Sony?

(15 Posts)
Storytown Mon 29-Dec-14 10:09:35

BBC story

If not, it's certainly worked out well for them.

AgentProvocateur Mon 29-Dec-14 10:29:01

Agree.

pressone Mon 29-Dec-14 10:30:32

This is my and DHs pet theory too.

NotYouNaanBread Mon 29-Dec-14 10:36:14

God yes. Although if I was Sony I'd feel a bit nauseous with Obama getting involved etc. Isn't it taking it a bit far if you're dragging him into it?

I haven't followed the story closely enough to be able to assess the level of real, lasting damage (if any) caused by the leak.

But I do think that the palaver surrounding the release of The Interview was a publicity stunt.

NotYouNaanBread Mon 29-Dec-14 10:39:58

But maybe I'm just being conspiracy-theorist and naive. There's lots of talk saying that it couldn't be a stunt -

Mashable

And $15m is a really shit figure for a Christmas opening weekend of a movie of that size.

Bair Mon 29-Dec-14 11:17:32

Yeah, the FBI, CIA, and Obama were well into it. Plus Sony released details of their staffs pay and personal details for a stunt.

duckbilled Mon 29-Dec-14 12:07:10

Agree

nequidnimis Mon 29-Dec-14 17:07:57

How are we explaining the FBI tracing it to North Korea?

Do they all have shares in Sonygrin

mynewpassion Mon 29-Dec-14 17:21:42

There are reports that insiders with greviences helped the hackers. However, its stupid to suggest that sony did it to themselves. Burning bridges with actors and actresses by releasing their private info, social security numbers, and emails. Embarrassing themselves and loosing credibility. Lawsuits piling up. Investors unhappy. As for the movie, it might just break even when it could have done better. Estimated $40 million to make and only at most $17 million recouped so far.

if this was their stunt, it will be a costly one and no benefit. So, no, I don't think they did it themselves.

mynewpassion Mon 29-Dec-14 17:22:38

Not loosing but losing.

mynewpassion Mon 29-Dec-14 17:29:14

Also their future projects with scripts are public. Their trade secrets are out. Disparaging actors and actresses. Made into fools by the public for giving into threats.

Again, no upside to sony in this hacking.

JohnFarleysRuskin Mon 29-Dec-14 17:36:03

I'm with mynewpassion.

Sony have insulted their stars and their producers and have looked like utter avaricious fools - why? To make money out of one of their many films that would have done pretty well anyway.

Erm no.

This reminds me of the 'conspiracy' theorists on mumsnet who were adamant that Brazil was being beaten by Germany in the world cup 'on purpose'

SoonToBeSix Mon 29-Dec-14 17:37:19

No , op yabu grow up!

BoomBoomsCousin Mon 29-Dec-14 18:37:12

That's a terrible return for the costs of the hacking. They've been screwed, lost a lot of goodwill and trust from their partners and staff, had their future projects exposed and lost competitive advantage, and may be liable for fines and other penalties for some of the information that has got out.

These conspiracy theories are so poorly thought out and really expose a lack of critical thinking skills.

Rainbunny Mon 29-Dec-14 19:37:32

Well as my DH is a former Sony employee and potentially has had his private information leaked as a part of this (social security number, bank details etc...) it would be a bit bloody stupid of Sony to have done this deliberately. There's already at least 5 lawsuits (that I'm aware of) filed against Sony by employees/former employees for the negligence of having their information leaked. This is a headache that won't go away soon for Sony.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now