Talk

Advanced search

To talk in quiet zone

(129 Posts)
Bluegill Sun 28-Dec-14 19:41:10

In first class rail travel? I'm playing hang man with my son, quietly on our journey home and he's just whispered to me that the woman sitting opposite him has mouthed to him to shut up! I like the quiet zone and its my view it's only no phones and no unnecessary noise, not no conversation at all. I've told my son we're not playing now but he's understandably disappointed. I won't say anything to the woman but think it's unnecessary to be quite so rude or am IBU?

MrsTawdry Sun 28-Dec-14 19:42:43

I think it's meant to be...you know...quiet. So yes. YABU. She was rude though.

MrsTawdry Sun 28-Dec-14 19:43:08

And the class of the carriage has nothing to do with ANYTHING.

longjane Sun 28-Dec-14 19:44:13

I did not think there was a quiet zone in 1st class.
And you should have host in 1st class ask them if talking aloud.

TheSpottedZebra Sun 28-Dec-14 19:44:30

It's quiet, not silent. So talking quietly ish us fine.

Mouth back at her to fuck off.
Or write her a note to that effect.

MovingOnUpMovingOnOut Sun 28-Dec-14 19:44:33

Switch to charades instead. Sorted.

Invite man to join in.

TheSpottedZebra Sun 28-Dec-14 19:45:30

Oh, if you do a note, do it in SHOUTY CAPS.

That'll mess with her head.

AuntieStella Sun 28-Dec-14 19:45:46

Quiet means quiet. Not absolutely silent, but not continuous games and conversation either.

She probably thought it was preferable to ask you/him to refrain from noise that was disturbing other passengers, rather than call a steward and make a proper complaint and have you moved. Or would you have preferred that solution?

asmallandnoisymonkey Sun 28-Dec-14 19:46:02

Unnecessary noise means lots of things to lots of people - perhaps chatter isn't necessary to her. For what it's worth it's really annoying to me when people chat away, oblivious to everyone else in the carriage that would like peace. Don't know how loud you were being but if she mouthed 'shut up' it must have been annoying her. She was very rude however.

Roobix04 Sun 28-Dec-14 19:46:16

If you were being loud then yabu but if you were talking at a normal level then you're fine. But the woman was being incredibly rude to tell someone else's child to shut up! Or anyone for that matter. It's just a rude phrase.

CheeseBuster Sun 28-Dec-14 19:48:06

Noisy games with children is rude in quiet carriage. Murmured conversation is fine. Most people sit there to avoid chatters and squealing children so YABU.

Wolfiefan Sun 28-Dec-14 19:50:04

Why were you in the quiet zone if you didn't want to be quiet?

SirChenjin Sun 28-Dec-14 19:50:35

It's quiet - not silent, which means no loud conversations, mobile phones or loud music etc from mobile devices.

I would mouth "go to hell" back at her, carry on playing a quiet game of hangman and let her complain to the conductor if she feels you are becoming too noisy.

Bluegill Sun 28-Dec-14 19:50:51

I'm very sorry to point out the class (I forgot about the easily offended). We are by no means noisy at all and the sign clearly states no phones or unnecessary noise, not no talking whatsoever. I've to ds to sit quietly now with no talking. she didn't mouth 'shut up' in a polite manner. I would be quite happy for her to 'report me' for quietly talking. I would be interested to see what the attendant said.

Flimflammer Sun 28-Dec-14 19:51:05

I always book a seat in the quiet zone and there is always one passenger who ruins the peace. No unnecessary noise it says, and conversation with your child is unnecessary. A few words exchanged quietly, yes. Put yourself in her shoes, she's paid a fortune to sit in peace and for all she knows you will keep up the chatter for her entire journey.

I once had a woman sit opposite me and sniff all the way from Brum to Euston, I could've killed her.

WeeFreeKings Sun 28-Dec-14 19:51:31

Talk to your companion yes. Hold a conversation no. e.g. Asking if they'd like a tea when the trolley comes round yes. Talking about something which will require repeated responses over a period of time no.

MidniteScribbler Sun 28-Dec-14 19:52:01

You could have sat in any other carriage in the train and played your game. What part of 'quiet' is such a difficult concept for you?

DoubleValiumLattePlease Sun 28-Dec-14 19:52:01

Why would anyone take a child into a quiet zone? As if a child is going to understand or appreciate that concept? Somewhat ridiculous don't you think OP?

Bluegill Sun 28-Dec-14 19:52:13

Wolfie, we are being quiet. My ds is 12 not a toddler.

MrsTawdry Sun 28-Dec-14 19:52:27

I'm not easily offended but the class is irrelevant. Unless you were suggesting that the common-old ordinary folk might be less likely to complain about a loud kid playing games in the quiet zone?

Just don't talk loudly.

Ujjayi Sun 28-Dec-14 19:53:26

I'm on the fence with this BUT she was unreasonable to mouth "shut up" to your DS. She should have raised it with you as responsible adult.

Ubik1 Sun 28-Dec-14 19:54:37

Oh FGS it's public transport not a sanctuary for Trappist monks.

Of course you can play bloody hangman.

I'd spell out CATSBUMFACE as my hangman. If it was a word. Which it isn't.

SirChenjin Sun 28-Dec-14 19:55:22

Why would anyone take a child into a quiet zone? As if a child is going to understand or appreciate that concept? Somewhat ridiculous don't you think OP

I once took a baby and an 8 year old into the quiet zone. The baby breast fed and then slept, whilst the 8 year old read a book and slept too. The 2 older women behind me who tutted loudly when they saw me come into the carriage then proceeded to talk all the way from York to Edinburgh.

Somewhat ridiculous behaviour from them, don't you think? I certainly did - with a smug grin on my face.

Ubik1 Sun 28-Dec-14 19:55:52

And of course you can take a child into the quiet zone. All it means is no mobile phones.

LadyLuck10 Sun 28-Dec-14 19:56:34

Maybe to you both of you were quiet but maybe not quiet enough. Quiet means quiet. Whispering is just as irritating.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now