Talk

Advanced search

ear infection still leaking after a week!!!

(5 Posts)
whyareallthegoodnicknamestaken Sun 28-Dec-14 14:54:05

Sorry.. TMI but I had a strep throat infection which led to two ear infections and possibly perforated eardrums.
was given anti bs 4-5 days ago and ears are STIll leaking yellow fluid and blood.
ears feel really full and wet.
have been on a 10 day course of penicillin for strep and now a 7 day course of amoxicillin for ears (3 days left)
breastfeeding ds and worried about having to take anything else.
Pain is pretty much gone from ears but leaking quite a bit especially at night.
never had an ear infection before, any advice?

CrazyCatLady13 Sun 28-Dec-14 17:14:55

I'm not a medical expert in any way, but I know from repeated sinus infections that it takes me about a month to get rid of all the pus from the infection. The amount of pus that builds up can be quite disturbing! I remember that after sinus surgery it took 3 months before the packing & blood clots stopped appearing.

If the infection symptoms (pain & fever) have gone, I'd wait a little longer to see if the discharge slows down or not.

Can you speak to a practice nurse about this tomorrow to put your mind at ease?

IDontDoIroning Sun 28-Dec-14 17:23:25

I had a perforated ear drum a few years ago. It kept leaking for weeks. I ended up going to the ENT dept and having micro suction whcih really helped.
Also apparently I had a polyp on the eardrum hole whcih was stopping it from healing up so I had to have it treated with silver nitrate. It took weeks to heal and then I had a huge black waxy scab thing fall out of my ear.

LapsedTwentysomething Sun 28-Dec-14 17:26:22

I had micro suction on Christmas Eve a couple of years ago. Fantastic. Worked perfectly.

LapsedTwentysomething Sun 28-Dec-14 17:27:46

But I will say that in a lifetime if recurring ear infections, I've never seem blood. I'd check that out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now