Talk

Advanced search

Those of you who started planning Christmas in June...

(108 Posts)
MardyBra Sun 28-Dec-14 11:06:23

... was it really worth it?

Or do you feel a teensy bit disappointed that you spent half a year planning one day?

fwink

MardyBra Sun 28-Dec-14 11:08:19

My flabber will be ghasted if anyone actually fesses up. fgrin

JennyOnTheBlocks Sun 28-Dec-14 11:09:05

where's the BU part?

fgrin

Bluecarrot Sun 28-Dec-14 11:11:01

What can you do in June? Ok, if you do all handmade gifts you need to start early... But otherwise start November is as early as you can really start. No?

ClashCityRocker Sun 28-Dec-14 11:11:57

I used to be an early planner, then realised that I was totally bummed out on christmas by the time it came around.

Christmas happens anyway, and no one gives a shit how many sparkly reindeer you have.

And a cupcake in a jar is a shit gift.

And you end up spending twice as much on sparkly tat because you've had longer to spot 'bargains'.

And to be honest, it happens every single year and pretty much follows the same components; there's a tree, presents, a roast dinner and alcohol.

It doesn't need a six month master plan.

MardyBra Sun 28-Dec-14 11:12:53

sorry Jenny. I'm usually a stickler. But I thought it might provoke a bunfight anyway.

JennyOnTheBlocks Sun 28-Dec-14 11:13:13

and what Clash said

MinnieM1 Sun 28-Dec-14 11:13:29

People that start early is usually because we can't afford to pay for it all out of 1 or 2 wages, not about being worth it it's about being necessary

ClashCityRocker Sun 28-Dec-14 11:13:36

And I think the number of 'christmas is ruined' threads on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day are testament to that.

redexpat Sun 28-Dec-14 11:14:10

Made worth it by my neice thanking me for her dress and telling me it was very beautiful and very warm smile There was a sale here and was pg and knew xmas had to be done by november.

JennyOnTheBlocks Sun 28-Dec-14 11:14:31

fgrin Mardy fgrin

sweat it not, i fancy getting a few gripes off my tits too today <not with you, personally, but t'is very cathartic>

wanna ferrero rochaaaaay anyone?

MardyBra Sun 28-Dec-14 11:14:49

Bluecarrot. The Christmas topic gets active in the summer. I once started an Aibu about how sad it was to miss the summer thinking about the winter. Some of them got a bit upset.

Bowlersarm Sun 28-Dec-14 11:14:59

I take issue with the fact you are calling it one day! Our Christmas has lasted the whole of December with an intense week when the serious stuff started from last Monday until, well, today, waving of the last of the visitors. (Thank fuck).

I'm not a starting from June planner though. (Although I think I need to be next year fgrin)

Mrsgrumble Sun 28-Dec-14 11:16:44

I started in July but I saved a fortune and had enough to buy new decorations and cushions. No stress. Enjoyed chilling (and giving birth) in December !

soverylucky Sun 28-Dec-14 11:17:28

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LlamaLover Sun 28-Dec-14 11:19:05

I started planning christmas in September time, starting buying presents then too. My eldest is soon to be 4 and I've never celebrated christmas before due to an abusive childhood. I very much enjoyed 'doing' christmas and it has healed a lot of hurt for me. It gives me hope I can rewrite my children's childhood to be better than my own.

I don't have a lot of money so enjoyed having time to look in charity shops and sales in shops to make my money stretch as far as possible.

If you'd have looked at us on Christmas Day you'd never have known how long it was being thought of/prepared. Just the 4 of us, posher than usual roast dinner, moderate amount of pressies and decorations. We had no decorations before this year and we spent every weekend of December doing something 'Christmassy' and really enjoyed the build up.

We had a great christmas, thank you. Nothing stressful, kids and adults loved it. Still enjoying ourselves now actually.

Did you have a nice christmas?

JennyOnTheBlocks Sun 28-Dec-14 11:19:26

<wonders if sovery is lacking cash because she spends it all on people's christmas gifts>

evertonmint Sun 28-Dec-14 11:27:29

I'm with you OP.

I don't get the "we can't afford it so start early" thing at all. I save a bit of money each month so I have enough for Christmas and then do it from late November. That's no less affordable than buying from June onwards but means I'm not having to spend half the year hiding presents or thinking about it. I know someone who has bought and wrapped by mid October so she can 'enjoy' Christmas but then ends up buying a load more random stuff in December anyway because she's started to 'feel Christmassy'. Then she spends January and February complaining how poor she is!

Bair Sun 28-Dec-14 11:30:49

I did thanks. smile

Was just the three of of us but felt quite the occasion. Everyone happy and relaxed.

shock at starting in June though. I've already been out and bought new decorations for Christmas 2015 in the sales. 50p a pop, thank you Wilkos!

lljkk Sun 28-Dec-14 11:36:35

I'm convinced that people spend much more if they start shopping very early.
My kids always change their minds constantly until the very last minute so a gift bought in June would probably be all wrong.

JaceLancs Sun 28-Dec-14 11:37:55

I buy Christmas and birthday presents whenever I see something that someone would like - often in charity shops, outlet stores or just in a sale
That doesn't mean I start planning Christmas early though!
I usually start thinking about it mid November and properly preparing from 1st December
I'm not bored with it yet - decorations went up less than 2 weeks ago and will come down on 5th Jan

beadybaby Sun 28-Dec-14 11:39:32

My Christmas planning days are the best bit of the occasion and an end in themselves. (grammar not right there?hmm )

I put my Christmas cake fruit to steep in brandy in August. shock

Hardly a major crime is it and it's a bit of escapism from a very demanding and time consuming job. It's 10 minutes here and there until December.

Babiecakes11 Sun 28-Dec-14 11:40:07

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

JellyBabiesSaveLives Sun 28-Dec-14 11:48:30

Not June, no way. But I did have all the presents wrapped and the food ordered by the end of Nov this year,so I got to enjoy doing all the Christmassy stuff with the children in December with no shopping to do. That was nice.

306235388 Sun 28-Dec-14 11:59:28

Yep totally worth it.

The thing is just because I might've bought something in June or whatever doesn't mean I've not thought of anything but christmas since then. Just like you might post about what you've watched on TV / eaten for dinner / saw happening in the street it's a passing thing , it's not my entire life between then and christmas.

Also it meant by December I was pretty much done so I could focus on ds's birthday and party, being ill for a week and a half and getting fuck all done, enjoying weekends with the family instead of shopping and not worrying about amazon getting deliveries to me on time.

What I find more puzzling than people planning in June is people who get annoyed at people, who they probably don't even know, planning in June.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now