Talk

Advanced search

To be fed up of the criticism of those who splashed out for Christmas!

(224 Posts)
Fanfeckintastic Sun 28-Dec-14 10:32:07

You can't open a thread about Christmas without someone voicing their dismay and horror that someone's eg "4 year old got an ipad", "that someone's partner gave them a tatty secondhand Christmas present and they should be grateful!", "you bought all that for a 5 year old shock"

It's mad because you'd never dream of criticizing the parents who had a minimalistic Christmas and bought very little for their DCs (like many of my Christmases) but somehow it's acceptable to be all judgy about people who splash out, with lots of raised eyebrows and sneeriness.

And how it's a mortal sin not to be overwhelmed with gratitude that your partner bought you anything at all. It's a really strange attitude that raises it's ugly head every year on here.

Showy Sun 28-Dec-14 10:37:47

Actually, people do criticise people who spend very little. You find all sorts of barbed comments about competitive skinflints on MN. Plus comments about how sorry people feel if a child doesn't have a big pile or sneering that their parents are worthy sorts. All judgement laden criticism.

It DOES happen both ways and you have to accept it both ways. I get criticised for being a miser and competitively mean. I accept people don't know or understand my actual reasoning. Likewise, vast piles of presents with a massive financial value seem so alien to some people that they will judge that choice without really knowing or understanding.

It's the way of the world. Thankfully, we're all different. Your choices are to ignore or to explain the reality. If you're fed up with justifying/explaining, then do the first.

Bair Sun 28-Dec-14 10:39:29

YANBU.

I felt bad for the poster who asked for wrapping advice, she had a lot of gifts. But she also had what I would consider a larger family. Apparently even with a larger family over 100 gifts was just too much.

I have an only child. Yes, I went overboard. I saved hard for that. Sue me. smile

I don't go out drinking, I don't buy myself new clothes, I use vouchers and coupons. I won't ever be sorry that I chose to use my funds for my son.

MrsDeVere Sun 28-Dec-14 10:40:04

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LittleBearPad Sun 28-Dec-14 10:42:06

By definition if you went 'overboard' then you bought too much.

100 gifts is madness.

Fanfeckintastic Sun 28-Dec-14 10:42:22

I've honestly never come across criticism of what small amounts people have bought their children, it's always the other wan around in my opinion and I wonder if the barbed comments you've noticed have been in retaliation to the shock, horror the big spenders have gotten?

ThePinkOcelot Sun 28-Dec-14 10:42:43

Well don't click on them MrsD!!

DoubleValiumLattePlease Sun 28-Dec-14 10:43:43

Here here Mrs de Vere ( blimey! I'm a poet! ) - I'm wondering if/when it's ever going to stop! How about we all don't give a shiny shite about anyone else's Christmas presents? I don't - and can't see why anyone would.

EatShitDerek Sun 28-Dec-14 10:44:02

TheFairyCaravan Sun 28-Dec-14 10:44:34

I'm fed up of these threads too. The happen year after year after year.

DS1's friend's mum was killed in a car crash on Christmas morning. That put everything into perspective to me. It doesn't matter about presents, food, little gripes or anything else, it should just be about being with the people you love.

MrsDeVere Sun 28-Dec-14 10:45:17

Fanfeckintastic Sun 28-Dec-14 10:46:09

But lots of things are madness littlebear buying a pile of presents for your child is a "victimless crime" surely? It's not like they're robbing them from other children so what's the problem?

crumblebumblebee Sun 28-Dec-14 10:46:15

YABU. I've seen comments both, many of them unprovoked.

Pagwatch Sun 28-Dec-14 10:46:20

Christmas presents threads are fucking everywhere.

TheyThinkImCool Sun 28-Dec-14 10:47:31

We should be able to spend what we like on our children at Christmas whether it be £20 or £2000 without people criticizing.

SeattleGraceMercyDeath Sun 28-Dec-14 10:47:45

YANBU. I spend a lot on the DC's, they probably got about 30ish presents each. I've learnt not to mention it on here. I'm happy with what I spend, I don't get into debt and my DC's are happy and not spoilt.

EatShitDerek Sun 28-Dec-14 10:47:55

pearpotter Sun 28-Dec-14 10:48:01

I splashed out this year as we've been skint for ages and due to now working FT again could now buy lots of things I've wanted to for a while.

ThrowAChickenInTheAir Sun 28-Dec-14 10:49:14

And calling children's presents tat. If I read that word on Mn one more time...hmm

Bair Sun 28-Dec-14 10:50:00

'By definition if you went 'overboard' then you bought too much. '

So? I didn't borrow or rob for them.

EatShitDerek Sun 28-Dec-14 10:50:15

Fanfeckintastic Sun 28-Dec-14 10:51:25

I didn't even splash out, I don't own an ipad myself let alone for DD but it's just really shit to come along and criticize someone who isn't asking for opinions and making out that buying them an ipad or fifty million presents is a form of abuse or terrible parenting.

LittleBearPad Sun 28-Dec-14 10:52:25

Because those who bought loads will be starting threads soon asking how to store shedloads of toys

And the four year old who got an iPad wasn't fussed by it iirc. Probably because she uses her parents one, so her own makes no odds.

Quantity for quantity's sake is just silly.

MrsDeVere Sun 28-Dec-14 10:52:26

Baddz Sun 28-Dec-14 10:52:30

It's the same every Xmas....I have been on mn in various guises for years and the same threads crop up every year...
"What have you got your 4/5/6/7/8 year old?"
"I have bought 130 gifts for my 1 year old...is that too much?"
"My dc will be happy with the gifts I found on a skip under a dead fox - so should yours"
"You are all capitalist wankers"
Blah blah blah

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now