Talk

Advanced search

to think MNHQ should send out a decree banning Bad Science type Diet threads?

(43 Posts)
ElizabethHoover Sun 28-Dec-14 10:00:48

In the manner of Caesar Augustus?
That detox, juice, thigh only or whatever bad science crap appears on here should be vanquished as just, well silly?

I am sure IABU but it irks, you know?

ElizabethHoover Sun 28-Dec-14 10:01:41

plus i do accept that starting this thread while meanwhile evangelising about cinnamon swirls was plain WRONG

fanjoforthemammaries7850 Sun 28-Dec-14 10:02:51

But people lose.loads of weight on them temporarily

Trazzletoes Sun 28-Dec-14 10:03:24

How do you rule what's a bad diet thread though? Personally I think 5:2 is stupidly unhealthy but that's not the view of most people who are on it...

ElizabethHoover Sun 28-Dec-14 10:04:06

i think ones that make claims that are already proved to be wrong.

HermioneWeasley Sun 28-Dec-14 10:04:43

Maybe not banning, but anything that is based on nonsense or bad science could maybe have a standard disclaimer?

Anydrinkwilldo Sun 28-Dec-14 10:04:57

What do you mean those diets don't work fecking idiots being taken in by a quick fix how's about try eat less move more

ElizabethHoover Sun 28-Dec-14 10:05:27

www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2014/dec/05/detox-myth-health-diet-science-ignorance

here we are as a start off

Pagwatch Sun 28-Dec-14 10:10:35

No, I'm not in favour of banning stuff.
People will pursue stupid. You can start banning discussion not least because it's counter productive. I'd rather people post and get a range of responses.

ElizabethHoover Sun 28-Dec-14 10:12:00

* weeps *

I knew I was BU

SqueezyCheeseWeasel Sun 28-Dec-14 10:12:46

I'd like to see those fecking I'm not a codeine addict, oh no Solpadeine threads that crop up every now and again banned. They give me the shudders.

SqueezyCheeseWeasel Sun 28-Dec-14 10:14:03

Oh. Bummer. I see Pag has banned banning. Scuppered.

wink

ElizabethHoover Sun 28-Dec-14 10:14:53

hey Squeeze.. we could ban PAG and then run around banning all day?

* hopeful *?

grin

IAmAPaleontologist Sun 28-Dec-14 10:15:55

I saw a great one on FB the other day. I wanted to write all manner of things on it. It said that we hold on to fat to act as a barrier between our body and the impurities. A normal diet we get rid of the fat but impurities remain so as soon as we stop we put all the fat back on again because we still have the impurities so our body goes "oh no! protect me from impurities! I need fat!" The amazing special, expensive diet gets rid of the impurities and the fat magically vanishes and never comes back so long as you stay in the magic diet for ever and ever and ever to keep the nasty, evil impurities away.

But no, you cna't ban stuff, people have to be able to make their own decisions. I like to think that on MN there are enough sensible people with sensible diet threads there to provide information to those who seek it.

SqueezyCheeseWeasel Sun 28-Dec-14 10:16:25

We could?

I'd go mad with the power. The boards would be empty.

ElizabethHoover Sun 28-Dec-14 10:16:50

ALL FACEBOOK THREADS * vamoosh *

IAmAPaleontologist Sun 28-Dec-14 10:18:57

This one.

Tiredemma Sun 28-Dec-14 10:19:16

I saw a post on FB the other day by some friend of a friend who is in the Forever Living Cult. Apparently I can look like Kylie Minogue in about 6 weeks if I buy her overpriced nonsense.

5.2 worked for me but I cant see how people can realistically live off a Kale shake everyday for the rest of their lives.

Pagwatch Sun 28-Dec-14 10:19:39

I just scuppered myself then. Own goal. I'd love to ban loads of stuff.
Psychobabblebollocksbuzzwords would be first.

Ban me. Then ban entitled/reverse snobbery/narc/ and MIL threads. Do it!

Fanfeckintastic Sun 28-Dec-14 10:20:10

For every bit of research you find condemning something you can be sure you'll find studies that prove it's benefits too.

It really bothers me when people say "diets don't work" etc and slam weight watchers, meal replacement diets etc (the latter, I can accept are quite fadd and generally don't have a great success rate long term) but I know lots of people who have lost weight using all sorts of diets and slimming groups. I know a lot who haven't, so they work for some and not for others. It's calories in and calories out no matter how it's dressed up.

Rootandbranch Sun 28-Dec-14 10:22:21

Spoilsport.

Bad diets are a comforting new year ritual for me.

Stop pissing on my chips!

Fanfeckintastic Sun 28-Dec-14 10:22:23

*know people who've lost weight and kept it off that should say!

SqueezyCheeseWeasel Sun 28-Dec-14 10:22:34

Yesssss, good stuff Pag.

"I'm probably pregnant but I'm not going to do a test" threads. KABOOOOM!

ElizabethHoover Sun 28-Dec-14 10:23:02

SQUEEZE

we have a thread - look look!

Trazzletoes Sun 28-Dec-14 10:23:56

Anydrink FGS don't suggest eating less and moving more on any diet thread. You will have your own head ripped off and fed to you while it is pointed out that THAT DOESNT WORK.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now