Talk

Advanced search

To ask family and dp to stop calling me lucifer?

(54 Posts)
LPJax Sat 27-Dec-14 20:48:53

My name is Lucy and dp called me lucifer a few months back in front of family. They all found it hilarious and carried it on and now it's my 'standard' name. When I ask them to not call me it they say I'm being precious and dp laughs at me. It's fucking awful, even my grandma calls me it and dp told the neighbours it's my preferred name so they put it in our Christmas card. It's way beyond a joke and I'm so sick of it it's actually making me quite upset.

Patrickstarxx Sat 27-Dec-14 20:49:35

My family call me devil child.

Aeroflotgirl Sat 27-Dec-14 20:51:33

I would pull your dp up on this, it's quite hurtful it's boarding on bullying. I would correct people.

NobodyLivesHere Sat 27-Dec-14 20:52:41

Yanbu if it upsets you to ask them to stop. But why does it upset you so badly?
I call my youngest daughter Satan all the time.

AlwaysHoldingOnToStars Sat 27-Dec-14 20:52:49

I'm sure you can think of some nicknames for them. Starting with Prick for your dp.

CoolCat2014 Sat 27-Dec-14 20:53:26

Hit them all on the nose with a rolled up newspaper. meanies.

Feelingworriednow Sat 27-Dec-14 20:55:34

The fact it is making you upset should be enough for them not to want to do it. You may have to make a bit of a stand though, they might not realise how much it is upsetting you - although hey bloody well should! As a child I had one uncle who insisted on calling me shrimp, which I know doesn't sound bad, but I was really sensitive about being the smallest in the family. He kept saying I was being sensitive when I said it upset me and minimising it. Eventually I decided to just call him "idiot" as his name and said I would continue as long as he did. Stopped quite quickly after that!

hashtagwhatever Sat 27-Dec-14 20:56:19

I have been called this by my d sisters since I was a baby. Our dm hates them calling me it.

AryaUnderfoot Sat 27-Dec-14 20:57:30

MIL referred to DD as 'sproglet' for almost a year until I told DH, in no uncertain terms, that it either had to stop.

YANBU. These things can get to you like fingernails being dragged down a blackboard.

meandjulio Sat 27-Dec-14 20:57:42

Stop reacting. At all. Stop answering to it. Make sure that you introduce yourself as Lucy.

In regards to your family ask them seriously to stop explain you really don't like it and from then on refuse to respond to it.

Ditch the "D"P.

livegoldrings Sat 27-Dec-14 20:58:04

Well this is annoying to be called a nickname you dont like, and it does have those connotations of evil which I wouldn't like. Just keep telling to stop and they eventually will.

knewnana Sat 27-Dec-14 21:04:21

If they want to behave like children, then treat them like children. If someone calls you Lucifer just don't respond and if they persist, just say "I can see your mouth moving but I just can't understand what you're saying if you don't call me by my proper name". Then ignore them until they get the message.

Hope it resolves soon.

TheBatteriesHaveRunOut Sat 27-Dec-14 21:06:37

I say live up to it and set fire to the fuckers [extreme]

TheReluctantCountess Sat 27-Dec-14 21:06:42

That's bad and hurtful of them. My mum calls me a pet name (which is an actual name, just not mine, and not something as offensive as Lucifer) and it really pissed me off. I ended up snapping at her to stop calling me it. She was hurt but hasn't called me it since.
So, my advice would be to keep asking them not to call you it.

nilbyname Sat 27-Dec-14 21:08:09

I know you are but what am I?!

Said repeatedly in a whinge voice until they all stop.

expatinscotland Sat 27-Dec-14 21:11:18

I'd dump your partner. What a prick.

As for your family, I'd not answer when they used that and keep repeating, 'That's not my name. You keep callling me that, and you can say it to thin air.' I'd actually limit contact with them.

LennyCrabsticks Sat 27-Dec-14 21:13:04

Just answer 'yes, Cockwomble?' every single time. They'll get the hint.

Idontseeanysontarans Sat 27-Dec-14 21:15:40

Bore the shit out of them on it's meaning - Latin for 'bringing light (Lux, Furre) the name for the planet Venus as the morning star, the chief angel to rebel against god (Isiah 14:12). There's loads online wrt the actual meaning of the word - it's only a lot later that it became associated with satan. Carry on until they're sick of hearing the word then refuse to engage with them on the subject again.

TattyDevine Sat 27-Dec-14 22:15:21

YANBU. Shit sticks so nip it in the bud. Its not fair to say you are being precious with something like your name.

TattyDevine Sat 27-Dec-14 22:15:44

And this is from someone who refers to her mother as Joan of Nark (but only when I'm talking to my brother and she can't hear)

JuxaSnogUndertheMistletoe Sat 27-Dec-14 22:53:08

Does his name lend itself to an annoying nickname, one he would hate, like, say, Timmy Wimmy? Everytime he calls you Lucifer, call him whatever it is.

Chiggers Sun 28-Dec-14 00:37:09

I'd totally ignore them until they called me by my proper name. Either that or I'd start calling them names like FuckFace or summat similar.

spiritofthetime Sun 28-Dec-14 01:32:20

Start calling him Tiny Todger in front of them.

Isabeller Sun 28-Dec-14 01:43:47

YANBU

YAB bullied. Everyone here thinks you would be very reasonable to stand up for yourself in whatever way you think appropriate.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now