Talk

Advanced search

To ask about children and appropriate language

(56 Posts)
exmoormare Sat 27-Dec-14 15:18:30

My extended family have reacted in shock to dd (nearly 3) talking about a fart blush

Have I made a massive faux pas? The irony is I never really swear bar the odd 'bloody hell' but I never thought of fart as being a bad word?

fredfredgeorgejnr Sat 27-Dec-14 15:20:14

Your family are bonkers... Fart is a completely fine word for a 3 year old.

exmoormare Sat 27-Dec-14 15:21:30

Phew!

They ARE a bit bonkers ... But thought I'd check!

DaisyFlowerChain Sat 27-Dec-14 15:22:28

It's not a word we used and when DS picked it up from school he was corrected. It's not the nicest of words but by no means the worst.

I am a stickler though and dont swear, DH does occasionally but never in front of DS.

SenecaFalls Sat 27-Dec-14 15:23:51

Evidently there is a bit of a divide on this issue in Mumsnetworld. Here's a recent thread.

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/am_i_being_unreasonable/2213535-To-think-that-fart-is-NOT-a-swear-word

Purplepumpkins Sat 27-Dec-14 15:25:18

Oh lord! Lol my 5 year old is obsessed with talking about farting, popping ect. I just roll my eyes and ignore! It's all boys want to talk about and he is my 6th boy that I've nannied for so I now accept it as part of a boy growing up!

Birdsgottafly Sat 27-Dec-14 15:25:27

I swear, but I don't like toilet words/humour, or body fluid conversations etc.

I always used "nice" descriptions.

It's a personal thing, I suppose.

JohnCusacksWife Sat 27-Dec-14 15:26:02

Hmm, I'd be a bit surprised to hear a 2 yr old, saying fart, tbh. It's not swearing, exactly, just not what I'd expect a little one to say...like "damn" or "hell"

MrsTawdry Sat 27-Dec-14 15:32:50

You will find a big split here on MN. Many, including myself find the word too coarse for small children. It sounds ugly. I don't care if people want to call me uptight either....words are a very personal thing aren't they?

If you want to let her say that it is up to you but be aware some people will be hmm about such a small child saying it. Same with "crap" and "God" when used as an expression of surprise or similar.

SisterMoonshine Sat 27-Dec-14 15:34:17

I don't like it.
But then I don't even like hearing toddlers say "oh my God", which again, isn't swearing so much.

LadyLuck10 Sat 27-Dec-14 15:34:30

It's sounds ugly, not nice on a small child.

StrumpersPlunkett Sat 27-Dec-14 15:35:40

we are of the more reserved persuasion when it comes to toilet humour. I have 2 boys so it does happen but it is always a trump not a fart.
even so, we talk to the boys about when it is or isn't appropriate to talk about these things and it is in our opinion best kept for when there is only us in the house.

OddBoots Sat 27-Dec-14 15:37:11

It's one of those in-between words - it's not one I would use in front of the pre-schoolers I work with but it's not a word I'd tell them not to use or talk to parents about either.

ProcrastinaRemNunc Sat 27-Dec-14 15:37:12

Whereas 'fuck' is described as a taboo word, in the oxford English dictionary, 'fart' isn't, hence YANBU, they are. In fact, one might say they are being pompous old farts!

ProcrastinaRemNunc Sat 27-Dec-14 15:37:18

Whereas 'fuck' is described as a taboo word, in the oxford English dictionary, 'fart' isn't, hence YANBU, they are. In fact, one might say they are being pompous old farts!

Fabulous46 Sat 27-Dec-14 15:38:32

It's not a word I allowed any of my children to use. DH nor I use it as we find it vulgar, however, we don't "do" toilet humour of any sort. I don't think it's very nice to hear a child of any age using it, but that's just a personal opinion.

IfNotNowThenWhen Sat 27-Dec-14 15:44:42

We say trump, but I think that's regional. I use Bloody all the time in front of ds(8) and Bugger too. He tells me off for saying dog shit instead of dog poo. I do try and remember, but I am naturally coarse.wink
I think the number of blokes at football matches using fuck every other word when ds goes to watch a match with his uncle has usefully desensitised him to that one.
I think getting in a tizz about a year old saying fart is bizarre, but then given my filthy mouth I would do.

IfNotNowThenWhen Sat 27-Dec-14 15:49:30

Three year old! A year old would be impressive!

spinduchess Sat 27-Dec-14 15:50:50

My mum hates the word fart. We grew up being told off for fart. The replacement was trump - hardly better!

PhaedraIsMyName Sat 27-Dec-14 15:54:37

I agree it's ugly and coarse. I never say it and I'd I don't say shit or piss either.

ProcrastinaRemNunc Sat 27-Dec-14 15:58:24

Isn't it funny how pretentious people can be about the mere use of a word. I grew up with an incredibly 'plum in his mouth', pompous stepfather and found all of the apparently innofensive terms invented, rather amusung. Even as a child, i found 'parp', 'trump', etc absolutely ridiculous because a fart is a fart, what ever way you try to dress it up and calling it by any other name fools no-one. I do think its rude to fart in company, I don't think its rude to call a spade a spade. Or a fart a fart!

pieceofpurplesky Sat 27-Dec-14 15:59:38

I hate the word fart - it used to be unacceptable along with arse and piss - these are all regularly used in TV and radio now before the watershed.
My parents would have been appalled if ds said fart at 3.

MozzchopsThirty Sat 27-Dec-14 16:00:05

Love some of the superiority in this thread!!

There are far worse things than your child saying fart!
Mine say fluff
But then I say fuck a lot so have no right to be judging anyone

stripeysettee Sat 27-Dec-14 16:01:56

What does she call her fanjo OP?

wink

FindoGask Sat 27-Dec-14 16:01:57

fart is fine by me. I would rank it well below shit or piss in the profanity stakes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now