Talk

Advanced search

To really not like it when DH does this

(21 Posts)
Morganbrown Sat 27-Dec-14 14:51:08

Arriving in town today had to be at a certain place. Neither of us been before so I was about to get google maps out but DH had flagged a couple down and was 'EXCUSE ME WHERE IS SUCH-A-STREET'?

He always does it! Just stops people and demands directions to here or there ignoring the sat nav and google maps! Aibu??

ReindeerDontFly Sat 27-Dec-14 14:52:47

What's wrong with asking for directions?

rainyevening Sat 27-Dec-14 14:52:55

That's odd, because it's always my impression that men HATE to ask directions. I work near a tourist area of London and find that women will happily ask and men will stand there for AGES with a map.

LadyLuck10 Sat 27-Dec-14 14:53:14

confusedHe doesn't sound like he harassed someone. I prefer his approach rather than faffing around trying to google directions.

Morganbrown Sat 27-Dec-14 14:54:28

It's the way he doesn't even try to find out himself and stops people who are busy.

Or when he asks and I already know! That annoys me!

hiddenhome Sat 27-Dec-14 14:54:43

Sounds familiar. My dh doesn't trust the map app that I have on my iphone. It's very annoying because I can navigate perfectly well with it, but he's like "err, which direction are we heading in, I need a compass" confused

Of course, my iphone has one of those too grin

AnyFucker Sat 27-Dec-14 14:54:48

huh ?

VitalStollenFix Sat 27-Dec-14 14:55:42

sounds like he asked nicely rather than demanded.

What has he said when you have asked him why he does not look at google maps, or print out a route beforehand or use the sat nav? What's his reason for choosing to ask people instead?

PoppyAmex Sat 27-Dec-14 14:56:00

That's the oddest thing; why on earth wouldn't you ask?

I'm not British and I'm constantly amazed with things that mortify/embarrass the natives grin

Bogeyface Sat 27-Dec-14 14:56:48

YABU

You know those things that walk around with arms and legs and heads? They are other human beings! Weird I know! But they have brains and mouths so they can think and talk and tell you things that you need to know!

In the time it would have taken you to launch the app, he had spoken to someone and found out where you were supposed to be, I dont see the issue hmm

Shinyshoes2 Sat 27-Dec-14 14:56:53

I prefer to stop and ask for directions than rely on my non map reading ability

Tinkerball Sat 27-Dec-14 14:59:06

There's nothing wrong with stopping and asking directions, even with technology you can't beat real people telling you.

hiddenhome Sat 27-Dec-14 14:59:46

It's easy enough to access a map. I'd rather do that than ask someone because you might not catch what they said or perhaps they won't know.

Technology is reliable and available literally at your fingertips now.

Bogeyface Sat 27-Dec-14 15:00:20

That said, I cant understand why anyone wouldnt work out where they are going before leaving the house rather than heading in vaguely the right direction and working it out from there.

Surely you would think "Hmm, havent been there before, will just google the address so I know where we need to be"? I always do this if only so I know roughly where to park etc.

hiddenhome Sat 27-Dec-14 15:07:03

I take a look on streetview, so I know what to expect at the other end.

Morganbrown Sat 27-Dec-14 15:07:31

DH doesn't really use the internet.

He doesn't do it on purpose but he always asks people who you just know aren't best placed to help like people with a crying child or people with bags of shopping rushing!

ClashCityRocker Sat 27-Dec-14 15:08:02

I wish my husband would ask for directions

Morganbrown Sat 27-Dec-14 15:09:51

We can swap smile

He does mean well but he can be a little over familiar. He asks people if he can borrow their mobiles, umbrellas and all sorts too blush

MinnieM1 Sat 27-Dec-14 15:12:58

Oh I wish my DP was like this, he won't ask for directions or Look at a map/use a sat-nav, he always just knows
It's infuriating!

hiddenhome Sat 27-Dec-14 15:13:43

It's nice that he feels free to communicate with people, but self reliance is also a good thing.

diddl Sat 27-Dec-14 15:15:51

seems odd if you've got sat nav up & running (unless it has sent you wrong)

I often get asked when out with the dog.

I hate it as I walk/bike everywhere & don't always know & sometimes feel judged.

but I tell people as far as i can & then say that they'll have to ask again.

"He asks people if he can borrow their mobiles, umbrellas and all sorts too"
shock

i'd never lend anyone my all sorts!grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now