Talk

Advanced search

To Wonder Why DS Got This Present

(12 Posts)
queeneileen Fri 26-Dec-14 21:10:34

New poster, longtime lurker waves

My 13yr old got a properly expensive paintball gun, mask, gas bottle and paintball hopper from his dad and stepmum for Christmas. He's been paintballing twice (for birthdays) and doesn't do it for a regular hobby.

He's over the moon with it, which is the point I know, but I don't get it. I know I'm looking at it from a grown-ups POV but why?

This is one of those moments where I'm just going to have to deal with being perplexed, isn't it?

Discopanda Fri 26-Dec-14 21:11:43

I'm going to hazard a guess and say that it's so that dad and stepmum look cool

26Point2Miles Fri 26-Dec-14 21:12:41

Maybe they plan to take him more often?

Happy36 Fri 26-Dec-14 21:13:35

They were stuck for what to buy him? He asked for it?

Allstoppedup Fri 26-Dec-14 21:14:31

Maybe he enjoyed it and will now take it up for a hobby?

queeneileen Fri 26-Dec-14 21:14:54

26Point2Miles I'd have said the same but his dad works most weekends and they live far enough away that they don't see him during the week.

We'll see. I dunno.

Discopanda - good point. He's very impressed with it.

Tryharder Fri 26-Dec-14 21:16:18

Sounds like a cool present.

Better than money (boring) or yet another gadget.

WooWooOwl Fri 26-Dec-14 21:16:57

My ds of the same age would love that as a present. But then he was given a real gun on his last birthday because he does target shooting as a hobby.

If there is some kind of paint balling club that your ex is planning on doing with your ds, then I can see the point, it's a fun (if you're that way inclined) activity that at least involves some exercise. If this gift is just for your ds to show off if he ever gets invited to another paint balling birthday party, then I agree with you that it's pointless.

marne2 Fri 26-Dec-14 21:18:52

Have you been paint Balling? It's great fun, which is why your ds is so excited, the new kit will encourage him to go more ( may be his dad is going to take him?), much better than sitting at home on a xbox smile

Discopanda Fri 26-Dec-14 21:21:01

Just to be clear, I don't mean they're trying to look cool in a competitive way, my OH used to let his nephew play with his BB gun to be the cool uncle, sometimes it's just nice for kids to think that you're the 'cool' relative.

queeneileen Fri 26-Dec-14 21:23:25

His dad works weekends and doesn't see him during the week (lives about 1.5hrs away by public transport - doesn't drive)

I'm hoping this is so they can do more things together in the future. But you'd think it'd live at their house in that case, but it came home here on Christmas Day.

misskangaandroo2014 Fri 26-Dec-14 21:35:13

It's his though. He may eventually decide to keep it at his Dad's. But it is new and thrilling to have his own. He's not so young, I know. But new things that have the promise of future fun are great to have. I got recorders because I really really wanted them. I might never get amazing at them. But they are so wanted.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now