Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Pet sitting

(9 Posts)
LaChatte Fri 26-Dec-14 18:50:07

I live in France and have come to England for the holidays, with DM, leaving my dog and two cats at home. I arranged for DM's partner - PS (pet sitter) - to look after the pets while we were away, and to get my cleaner in more frequently to change the littler trays and top up any food and water bowls for the DCats.

I filled out a diary with the dates and times the cleaner would be coming, and also asked SIL to come over for two days to check on the cats as I knew PS wouldn't be at my house on those days and had assumed PS would take DDog with him (DM had understood the same).

He phoned today to find out which day SIL was coming over, to find out if he really needed to go over tomorrow of she was going to be going over, he hadn't been to my house since Wednesday and the cleaner had been in today. I said I thought it was a bit long for the cats, he then said and the dog.

It turns out he's been leaving DDog at home and just popping back to feed him every other day, I tried to be as diplomatic and calm as possible and said he needed to go to my house ASAP and at feed them all, and then when he wanted to leave, he needed to take DDog with him. He said he hadn't understood that at all and that he'd try to do it.

AIBU in now being really upset at the thought of my poor pets being left alone for such a long time?

ACardiganForCat Fri 26-Dec-14 18:55:39

Yanbu. Poor animals, esp. the dog.

theeternalstudent Fri 26-Dec-14 19:03:31

unacceptable. sorry, I'd be on the next flight home
If it was just the cats then I would say fine, every couple of days and next time pay for a professional sitter. However, for the dog this is way not enough.

You really need to find a professional sitter/boarding for your dog. At the end of the day you only get what you pay for!

You will be going home to a very stressed dog who will be shitting and pissing all over your home. If you were in the UK you could be prosecuted for neglect/abandonment.

Optimistletoe1 Fri 26-Dec-14 19:06:46

Sorry, it sounds to me as though you've left your animals in the care of someone who has no experience of what cats and dogs need! (But I'm pretty sure they won't have suffered any lasting ill-effects up to now.)

Fabulous46 Fri 26-Dec-14 19:07:47

I would be livid at him and have booked a flight home. Poor dog!

TheHappinessTrap Fri 26-Dec-14 19:09:22

How awful! Can you make other arrangements until your return?

LaChatte Fri 26-Dec-14 19:17:25

No, and I can't get on a flight home as we drove here and we are going to DS's DDad's funeral next week (here). He looked after our previous DDog many times and it was alway fine, keeping him with him all the time. I have no idea why he thout it would be ok to leave DDog, DM is furious with him too. I'm phoning him at my house tonight to check up on the animals.

LaChatte Fri 26-Dec-14 19:51:50

Just spoke to PS on the phone again, he has arrived, all pets are ok, and he's promised to keep DDog with him at all times. I'll feel so much better once we are all home.

ChoccyBN1 Tue 06-Jan-15 11:51:43

Sounds awful sad I'd be so angry

Worth looking into trustedhousesitters.com if you need pet sitters in the future - a good caring option for (free) pet care and the reviews on trust pilot are really fab - they cover all over the world. Sitters care for pets for the opportunity to stay/ explore somewhere new - kind of travel meets pets

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now