Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Do your children eat a full traditional Christmas lunch?

(217 Posts)
Babieseverywhere Thu 25-Dec-14 19:47:16

I was looking at my Facebook (I know) and I was amazed at how many children were sitting down to a full traditional Christmas lunch with no fussiness.

So are our kids, the only fussy ones out there, who turn their noses up at lovely turkey and roasties ?

HoHonutty Thu 25-Dec-14 19:48:32

Mine do, but is one of the only means that all of us will actually eat.

sunnyfrostyday Thu 25-Dec-14 19:48:45

Mine do. Always have done. Sorry.

DefiniteMaybe Thu 25-Dec-14 19:49:17

Yes, both my dc aged 6 and 3 and my nephew and niece aged 2 and 6 months demolished their Christmas lunch today and will eat another one tomorrow.

MrsTawdry Thu 25-Dec-14 19:50:06

Yes...mine both love it. One DD won't eat sprouts but that's all and the other eats everything there! Sorry.

TrixieD Thu 25-Dec-14 19:50:23

Mine are veggie (by choice/fussiness). I usually cook veggie pie with all the trimmings but they just pick at their lunch (the bits they like) whilst messing around/slipping off their chairs.

Lunch is over in ten minutes. I yearn for the days I used to enjoy a leisurely lunch with my parents.

bettybyebye Thu 25-Dec-14 19:50:38

My 2 year old did - I think he had more turkey than me! grin

Kundry Thu 25-Dec-14 19:50:39

I was always told I had to eat a bit of everything even if I didn't like it - didn't like Xmas pud, red cabbage or sprouts.

Now I like all of those and think if my mum hadn't persisted I'd never have found out how lovely they are.

melonribena Thu 25-Dec-14 19:50:54

No. My 2.5 yr old ds ate 4 roast potatoes and then spotted the biscuits on the side

Picturesinthefirelight Thu 25-Dec-14 19:51:11

It's pretty much the only meal we all eat. Although ds won't eat meat so has quorn sausage.

capsium Thu 25-Dec-14 19:51:54

Not exactly. Like the look of it but still stuff left on plate. Were excited enough at prospect though and seem full enough. Hey, it's Christmas I don't care - can be nutritional police again tomorrow...!

inflagrantedelicto Thu 25-Dec-14 19:52:35

Mine say down at the table, but were to full of glee and-chocolate to eat more than a token slither of meat, token carrot and couple of pigs in blankets! Even ds tried the meat, which is a big thing for him, his HF ASD means usually he won't eat anything other than scrambled egg.

mamapain Thu 25-Dec-14 19:52:41

We don't serve any pork, but otherwise yes. We all have our dislikes, so not everyone eats everything but in general yes.

I'm quite insistent that they eat things they haven't tried and I don't offer an alternative, but I'm often called a mean mummy.

Gileswithachainsaw Thu 25-Dec-14 19:53:04

mine do. Sorry. Some years they eat more than.others but they have always had a.proper Xmas dinner

Plomino Thu 25-Dec-14 19:53:12

Fraid so , it's one of the few dinners in this house of 5 DC 's that are universally popular and has been since they were old enough to chew it .

melonribena Thu 25-Dec-14 19:53:50

Hasten to add, ds didn't get the biscuits he had spotted but couldn't concentrate on his dinner after seeing them!

JuniperTisane Thu 25-Dec-14 19:54:11

They would both have a go if presented with it. They like roasties, some veg, gravy. Neither will attempt the meat. We didn't have it today.

flowery Thu 25-Dec-14 19:56:01

DS1 (now 7yo) had his first full Christmas lunch aged 7 months, and has done ever since.

DS2 (5yo) is slightly more fussy but doesn't do too badly. He's not keen on yorkshires or stuffing, strange boy, although he hoovers up all the veg in sight hmm

DreamingDiva13 Thu 25-Dec-14 19:57:31

only fuss in my house is from eldest who won't eat roasted veg, or veg mixed/mashed together (she's asd though so used to her food rules). They love their Christmas dinner though, are loads! Both of them like sprouts too (strange children lol)

DreamingDiva13 Thu 25-Dec-14 19:57:47

*ate

Goldenbear Thu 25-Dec-14 19:57:50

YANBU, my 3 year old only ate the turkey. She barely touched her pudding. She likes nuts though as she likes to use the nutcracker and has asked to use them all day.

My 7.5 year old who is fussy about a lot of foods actually enjoys a roast as he loves sprouts, carrots etc. He's fussy about most breaded products and mixed in foods like casserole - he just likes his vegetables cooked in isolation and not in things, so Christmas dinner is a good option. He didn't eat the Christmas pudding but I had a chocolate one for him. He hates nuts, dates, mince pies.

YouTheCat Thu 25-Dec-14 19:58:25

My kids do but they are nearly 20. grin

I always used to tell ds that the roast parsnips were chips so he'd eat them.

IHaveBrilloHair Thu 25-Dec-14 19:59:05

Yep, always has.

HelenaJustina Thu 25-Dec-14 20:00:04

My 4 (aged 18months to 7yrs) all ate what we put in front of them. But the veg was child friendly... Peas, sweetcorn, carrots, roast parsnips, roast potatoes, mashed potatoes, turkey, pigs in blankets. They didn't have stuffing or cranberry sauce. And only DC1 tried DH's veggie main which she really liked.
As someone said above, roast dinners are one of the meals that everyone eats!

LuckyCharms Thu 25-Dec-14 20:01:30

My DD is very fussy but a very basic roast dinner is one meal she will eat - she had turkey, roast potatoes, carrots and pigs in blankets.

My 11 month old had everything apart from gravy and stuffing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now