Talk

Advanced search

To expect to get flowers delivered Boxing Day?

(18 Posts)
Chickenandpenguin Thu 25-Dec-14 10:17:46

It's a bit of a cheat thread sorry as not really AIBU but I need the traffic!
A good friend has just gone into hospital, two days ago, and will be in until approx 27th dec. Does anyone know of an online flower company that delivers boxing day?! Or even the 27th but I risk her not being there. I've googled but can't find anywhere sad

ilovesooty Thu 25-Dec-14 10:20:51

Have you checked that the hospital allows flowers?

Hope your friend recovers soon.

Fullpleatherjacket Thu 25-Dec-14 10:21:17

Don't know about the delivery but the hospital may not allow flowers so worth checking first.

How about a delivery once she's home?

Chickenandpenguin Thu 25-Dec-14 10:21:54

Ah no, do they not generally? I've never had anything delivered to s hospital before...

Greydog Thu 25-Dec-14 10:23:23

I think you'll find that you can't have flowers is hospitals any more. No idea why. probably laden with germs.

ilovesooty Thu 25-Dec-14 10:24:33

My local hospital doesn't allow them because of allergies I believe.

Redtartanshoes Thu 25-Dec-14 10:25:03

It's also got to do with the time it takes nursing staff to get vases/top up with water/dispose when dead... Ob if everyone on a ward has flowers it would take ages to sort out. Sad but true

pinkbear82 Thu 25-Dec-14 10:26:23

Think its to do with allergies etc. A nice bunch for when she is home will probably be suitable.
I'd say a fruit hamper or similar if sending to the hospital, but guessing delivery on that would be just as hard.

MrsLindor Thu 25-Dec-14 10:29:12

There may be a gift shop in the hospital itself, probably the best bet if it's open.

canyou Thu 25-Dec-14 11:30:57

No flowers in hosp because the water they stand in is a breathing ground for bacteria according to our local hospital -- correct cleaning would help contain bacteria-- hmm

Chickenandpenguin Thu 25-Dec-14 13:11:49

Thanks all, totally right on the flowers. She's a few hours away so can't visit the gift shop. Think flowers on her return prob best though I'm going to investigate hampers and chocolates smile
Merry Xmas by the way!

itsmeitscathy Thu 25-Dec-14 13:19:29

It's to do with the germs in the water or soul depending on if it's plant or flowers. Most hospitals no longer allow.

itsmeitscathy Thu 25-Dec-14 13:20:17

Soil!

It's not about not cleaning it - it makes total sense.

pennefab Thu 25-Dec-14 15:47:04

Yes - flowers once home best. Can't always manage to take flowers home once leave hospital.

A call - or even message that you called and was thinking of friend - much more wanted while in hospital.

Speaking from multiple experiences.

HappenstanceMarmite Thu 25-Dec-14 16:23:06

No flowers in hosp because the water they stand in is a breathing ground for bacteria according to our local hospital -- correct cleaning would help contain bacteria-- hmm

Yes because those slack nurses haven't got enough to do have they? hmm

paxtecum Thu 25-Dec-14 17:44:58

Flowers make me sneeze, give me a sore throat, streaming eyes and a tight chest.
I'm glad they are banned.

NoLongerTheSeasonToBeJolly Thu 25-Dec-14 17:52:15

No flowers in hosp because the water they stand in is a breathing ground for bacteria according to our local hospital -- correct cleaning would help contain bacteria--

Bleach in the water would help but I don't think the flowers would last very long after such treatment.

Most acute hospitals do not allow flowers in stagnant water.

canyou Thu 25-Dec-14 23:14:47

Nolonger I put bleach and sugar into fresh cut flowers.They seem to last and water does not get scummy. My Nana told me to do that grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now