Talk

Advanced search

to ask again about ham in the slow cooker

(5 Posts)
lemisscared Wed 24-Dec-14 20:22:31

i started a thread last week and have lost it.

i bought a cheapo gammon "joint" from tesco. one of those reformed things.

was planning on cooking in coke. how much coke do i need use? do i cover it or just the bottom of the pan thing? How long will it need and low or high??

BarbarianMum Wed 24-Dec-14 20:26:58

In a slow cooker, id cover to 3/4 of the way up the joint and turn halfway through. Id put it in low in the evening then take out and drain in the morning. Then slice and serve cold or trim fat, stud w cloves, brush w treacle and give it a quick roast before serving.

HTH

MrsDarylDixon Wed 24-Dec-14 20:27:14

How much does your gammon weigh?

SirChenjin Wed 24-Dec-14 20:31:27

I would cook it on low for about 6/8 hours - but suggest you do the first half with no coke as the ham will release loads of water in the cooking and you'll just end up with watery coke. Cook for 3/4 hours, drain then pour over the coke (about a couple of litres), and return to cooker.

There's a really good FB group called Slow Cooked Wonders with some really great recipes if you're looking for future inspiration smile

chocoshopoholic Wed 24-Dec-14 20:35:00

I made this yesterday, was lovely. did the 'boil' part in the slow cooker on high for 3.5ish hours. I had the 2.2kg version from tesco.

www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2806663/cola-ham-with-maple-and-mustard-glaze

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now