Talk

Advanced search

To be still pissed off about secret santa present?

(52 Posts)
IFuckingHateWhiteWine Wed 24-Dec-14 19:22:38

At work last week we all took home our secret santa present. Mine was a bottle of white wine...this would be nice except I fucking hate white wine and don't drink it. I only drink red wine.

So now I have bottle of wine that I can't do anything with and I really could do with a glass of wine right now. Everyone else all got lovely presents and they all loved them. I also put lots of thought into my secret santa to make sure I got them a nice gift.

I think I have a vague idea of who it is that gave me it but I have no idea whether I want to ask him and tell him in case he gets me next year.

What would you do?

Galvanized Wed 24-Dec-14 19:25:11

Is this lighthearted or serious? If lighthearted then I feel your pain, I wish I had a glass of red in my hands right now.

If serious then YABU, secret Santa gifts aren't ever good and you shouldn't take them personally, they are all bought last minute.

PotteringAlong Wed 24-Dec-14 19:25:19

I'd read that back as if it was another poster, get a grip, forget all about it and have a lovely Christmas.

PhaedraIsMyName Wed 24-Dec-14 19:26:56

Nothing. In the list of things worth fretting about what one got in the work Secret Santa really doesn't feature.

Do you really not know a single white wine drinker to whom you could pass it on or take it to a party? Failing that try cooking with it.

neme Wed 24-Dec-14 19:28:14

YABVU. If you wanted wine tonight you should have bought some. Secret Santas are an inexpensive bit of fun. So he got it wrong....move on.

usefully Wed 24-Dec-14 19:28:50

Get over it.

YABU Just forget about it and enjoy your Christmas

dwarfrabbit Wed 24-Dec-14 19:31:21

put it in your gravy tomorrow. put the rest in a turkey risotto in a couple of days' time. problem solved. Don't approach anyone about the bottle of wine at work - you will look petty and insecure.

vienna1981 Wed 24-Dec-14 19:31:46

If you're that desperate you'll drink it, whatever the colour.

But don't be bitter please. All the best.wink

PenguinsandtheTantrumofDoom Wed 24-Dec-14 19:32:34

Are you sure he would know you don't like white? Seems a very small thing to stress about.

ThereIsAPartridgeInTheKitchen Wed 24-Dec-14 19:32:50

If you don't want it, I'll have it smile

OOAOML Wed 24-Dec-14 19:33:23

My boss gave me a bottle of red this year, same as last year. I drink white. I said thank you because it was nice to get a present (he gave me chocolates for the kids as wellsmile ) and I will either cook with it or give it away (possibly to the next school 'bring a bottle' tombola).
Secret Santa presents are quite often not what you would buy yourself. Not much point getting angry unless you were given something offensive though.

StillStayingClassySanDiego Wed 24-Dec-14 19:42:46

It's Secret Santa, it's a lottery who gets what isnt it?

Do nothing.

EElisavetaofJingleBellsornia Wed 24-Dec-14 19:50:43

I would get over it. I've never had a good Secret Santa present, it would be so rude to complain to yhe giver!

CaffeLatteIceCream Wed 24-Dec-14 19:52:07

Good grief. You're "pissed off" over a perfectly nice secret santa?

Get over yourself...and buy your own wine if you're that desperate.

Jeez.

soverylucky Wed 24-Dec-14 19:52:50

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TheFourthLobster Wed 24-Dec-14 19:56:26

YABU. Keep it for a gift for somebody else another time. Count yourself lucky you got a secret santa gift - I bought a gift and didn't receive one myself because the person buying mine was "too busy, sorry"

MrsLindor Wed 24-Dec-14 19:56:31

We put a few ideas on our name tag before it goes in the draw in case the secret santa doesn't have a clue.

dragdownthemoon Wed 24-Dec-14 20:03:46

One year we did a secret Santa with friends. Everyone else got a lovely thoughtful gift, my DH got an offensive "joke" present which would have been highly inappropriate to open in front of our son (who was supposed to be there, but had another party last minute so wasn't), everyone laughed and it made me so very angry, but we smiled and left soon after and the "present" went in the bin. If only it had been a bottle of wine!
Last year my sister got a santa fancy dress outfit. The present limit had been £15, everyone else got proper nice gifts!

So it could be worse, OP ;)

sonjadog Wed 24-Dec-14 20:09:28

What was it?

CPtart Wed 24-Dec-14 20:13:59

I've been given two bottles of red this year. I drink white but I was thrilled to receive them anyway in appreciation of my work. They'll probably be re gifted.
In the light of whats happened in Glasgow this week you are being ridiculous.
Merry Christmas.

ShadowKat Wed 24-Dec-14 20:14:56

Unless they knew you hate white wine YABU. And they probably didn't know. It's hardly an offensive present.

I would put the white wine to one side until you find someone else to give it to, and then find something else to drink.

thatstoast Wed 24-Dec-14 20:16:20

We put a few ideas on our name tag before it goes in the draw in case the secret santa doesn't have a clue.

This is genius!

I think a bottle of wine is a suitable "I don't know you at all" gift. I had one last year after 3 months in the job. I was 8 months pregnant but it didn't bother me. I just passed it on to someone who would enjoy it.

UpSheFlew Wed 24-Dec-14 20:16:36

Yup, YA indeed BU.

silveroldie2 Wed 24-Dec-14 20:16:55

Get over it, grow up, buy your own red wine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now