Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To feel a bit miffed that dp hasn't bought me a present

(38 Posts)
Allingoodfaith Wed 24-Dec-14 15:34:01

I know I probably am.

I've recently became a SAHM at my request. We have no other income apart from dp wage. I have access to all bank accounts

So this year he has bought everything and spent a fortune on my family and even given my dd1 (19) sum of money he is not her df.

He recently paid to have my hair done, bought me new hair straighteners, new clothes and is booking our holiday abroad in a couple of days.

We said we wouldn't buy each other gifts - at my suggestion. If I'd wanted something he would have bought it.

I've bought him a little present of dd2 . I've just found out he actually hasn't bought me a present, not even of dd2.

I won't have nothing to open on Xmas day sad

I know I'm being pathetic <<awaits MN collective slap >>

TheNewWitchOfSWL Wed 24-Dec-14 15:35:34

Yep.

Wombat22 Wed 24-Dec-14 15:35:34

I hope he surprises you with a little something fsmile

LuckyLopez Wed 24-Dec-14 15:36:45

Is this a reverse?

Of course yabu.

daisychain01 Wed 24-Dec-14 15:37:02

Fingers crossed something appears under the Christmas tree for you. fsmile

daisychain01 Wed 24-Dec-14 15:37:39

Hey Wombat22, nice x-post!

SpringBreaker Wed 24-Dec-14 15:38:02

"He recently paid to have my hair done, bought me new hair straighteners, new clothes and is booking our holiday abroad in a couple of days."

I think you need to grow up and be grateful for what he has already given you.

You sound incredibly spoilt.

I wont have any presents to open, at any time. We are too skint to buy each other a present this year. But I am an adult, and when we have got some money we will treat each other. It really isnt a big deal.

onthematleavecountdown Wed 24-Dec-14 15:38:16

He's just paid for you hair, straighteners clothes and holiday and yet your grumbling you don't have something to open? This is never minding the fact that you agreed not to buy each other presents!!!

Get a grip. He sounds incredibly generous, be more grateful for what you have.

Cantbelievethisishappening Wed 24-Dec-14 15:38:56

YANBU. It's always lovely to have something to open. Something might appear smile

googoodolly Wed 24-Dec-14 15:39:21

Why do people agree not to do presents, then get pissed off when they don't get presents?!

YABU.

TheWitTank Wed 24-Dec-14 15:39:26

Yes, sorry op, you are being silly.

Singleandproud Wed 24-Dec-14 15:39:51

My mum never has much to open at Christmas because she would prefer similar gifts to you (ie hair dressers) or money towards something expensive but practical.
How old is DD2? Wouldn't she have made you something if she didn't buy it.

I'm a single parent and my parents brought me a new fridgefreezer when mine broke in the summer but this was a birthday/Xmas pressie, so I won't have much either.

It was your suggestion to not buy each other presents, so to be expected really and you have been treated recently,which is nice smile

Men don't always think of presents FROM the kids and when you said not to buy each other presents he probably put that under the same umbrella,because that's what it is really- buying something for each other.

It is sad to not have anything to open though so I hope he has got something little for you. I buy myself a couple of pressies every year so ds sees Santa visits me too!

Cantbelievethisishappening Wed 24-Dec-14 15:40:34

One 'Get a grip'.... really? hmm

Allingoodfaith Wed 24-Dec-14 15:41:34

Thank you I needed that.

I've given myself a slap. I am acting spoiled. I will put a smile on my face grin

He puts up with a lot does Dp grin

thornrose Wed 24-Dec-14 15:43:10

We said we wouldn't buy each other gifts - at my suggestion!

He did what you asked, I don't get it! confused

Wombat22 Wed 24-Dec-14 15:44:09

Just me and you then Daisy fgrin

thornrose Wed 24-Dec-14 15:44:47

Whoops, sorry, I missed the bit where you hoped he'd get you a present from your dd2. blush

Allingoodfaith Wed 24-Dec-14 15:45:16

wombat fingers crossed wink

MaryWestmacott Wed 24-Dec-14 15:47:26

Ah, the old "I'm going to say let's not buy gifts but really I mean lets buy each other surprise gifts and you're supposed to work that out for yourself."

He's a bloke, most are rather straight forward, you say "let's do x" he'll do x. You say "let's not bother with Y" and he'll assume he's not bothering with Y. Not that you are just saying that to give him the opportunity to do something more special...

You said no gifts, you'll be getting no gifts. FWIW, we are doing gifts, even though we're on 1 wage, but DH is wrapping a pair of boots I bought a while ago and haven't worn, and he's getting new headphones that he asked me to add to the amazon order of things for the DCs. I did, however, remind him I was buying him a gift from the children so he needed to do the same, which involves talking to the 4 year old about what would mummy like... (I'm pretty sure i've got my favourite chocolates, DS told me Daddy took him to the 'posh' chocolate shop in our town grin )

Allingoodfaith Wed 24-Dec-14 15:49:14

Oooh mary what's the posh chocolate shop?

MaryWestmacott Wed 24-Dec-14 17:11:11

the 'posh' chocolate shop is a little independent hand made chocolate shop that sells very expensive delicious little chocolates.

mommy2ash Wed 24-Dec-14 17:20:02

yabu I'm a single parent and every year I ask members of my family to take her to a shop to pick something for me and obviously I would pay. them always claim they are too busy or forgot but then it's my poor dd who is upset. this year she wrapped some of her own toys so I can open something even if it's not anything i can use. that's good enough for me.

she had picked out a little Angel pin for your coat in the pound shop weeks ago but didn't want me with her when she got it so I bought one and will leave a note from Santa to say it's a present from her to me.

you initiated the no present thing, he has been generous already and with your dd also. enjoy Christmas with your family not for what you can make out of it

ChippyTuesday Wed 24-Dec-14 17:20:22

Will you not receive a present from dd1?

cricketpitch Wed 24-Dec-14 17:30:13

Wow. YABU.
You are very lucky. Enjoy the day with your lovely DH and children

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now