Talk

Advanced search

WIBU to ditch the prunes?

(18 Posts)
idiuntno57 Wed 24-Dec-14 10:53:41

Seemed like a really good idea after weeks of sifting through Xmas food mags - stuffing with prunes soaked in cinzano, celery and sausage to complement my Lidl turkey.

Having soaked the prunes I am not so sure. MIL coming and she is averse to anything with even the slightest wiff of 'forrin'. This includes such dishes as smoked salmon, chilli con carne and french cheese. Should I just ditch the prunes and use a packet of Paxo?

WWYD mumsnet peeps?

FryOneFatManic Wed 24-Dec-14 10:59:24

Make life easy for yourself, use the paxo grin

Nomama Wed 24-Dec-14 11:00:21

Make both. Enjoy smile

EmilyAlice Wed 24-Dec-14 11:02:30

Make both and stuff one up each end. grin

idiuntno57 Wed 24-Dec-14 11:11:38

of my MIL EmilyAlice ?

tempting thought

EmilyAlice Wed 24-Dec-14 11:12:36

Crossed my mind. But I am a MiL.....

idiuntno57 Wed 24-Dec-14 11:14:46

ha EmilyAlice but not mine

I am sure you would eat a prune soaked in Cinzano.

idiuntno57 Wed 24-Dec-14 11:16:53

I would eat pretty much anything soaked in Cinzano at this point in the pre Xmas stressfest that is Christmas Eve

EmilyAlice Wed 24-Dec-14 11:18:56

I love prunes and can't stand people who are fussy about forrin food. Drives me mad living here in France where they are sooo conservative. It does give us first dibs on all the foreign food and wine in Lidl though. We did meet an expat Italian by the shelves at 830 on the first day of Italian week, but he didn't want the Prosecco fortunately, so we didn't come to blows.

idiuntno57 Wed 24-Dec-14 11:25:35

you are making me smile thinking that my MIL and French i.e. forrin people have something in common. She would be absolutely outraged.

Looking forward to her tirade on 'immigrants' after a couple of sips of sherry tomorrow.

All this is making me think that I will stick with the prunes just to provide something substantial for her to rile at. Might steer the convo away from UKIP territory for once.

EmilyAlice Wed 24-Dec-14 11:32:57

That must be awful. I think I would say, "I was brought up to believe that the discussion of politics, religion or money at the dinner table is terribly vulgar".
My MiL didn't exactly share our political views but she knew better than to talk about it.
Or you could talk about Monsieur Farage in a vair French accent. grin

Saymwa Wed 24-Dec-14 11:55:37

Same as EmilyAlice and wear blue and white striped t-shirt whilst preparing - perhaps even go as far as sticking a beret on your head wink.

Hatespiders Wed 24-Dec-14 12:02:26

Tell her prunes are very good for the bowels and she'll have no problems with constipation over the Christmas period. Tell her this at the table. grin

EmilyAlice Wed 24-Dec-14 13:01:07

Or you could send her here for political re-education. We are having roast partridge with garlic potatoes and sprouts with pine nuts and sultanas followed by physalis dipped in chocolate, cheese and grapes.
Would that be traditional enough?
Like the striped jumper and beret idea. Maybe a necklace of onions?

Tobyjugg Wed 24-Dec-14 13:13:53

Tell her the prunes thing is an olde English recepit you got from Nigella/Two Fat Ladies/De;ia Smith (whichever one she'll go for basically). If she asks about the booze say it's Plymouth Gin/Irish Whiskey/Scotch (depending on nationality).

Failing that, use my Mum's response to all food complaints "Shut up and eat it or next time you'll be cooking it!"

Tobyjugg Wed 24-Dec-14 13:14:37

*Delia (obviously)

Tobyjugg Wed 24-Dec-14 13:16:19

physalis dipped in chocolate

Now there's an idea!

EmilyAlice Wed 24-Dec-14 13:47:06

Well we are low(ish) carbing so have ditched pudding, cakes and mince pies. It is a "wave to the children and grandchildren on Skype" year so we have completely reinvented our Christmas.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now