Talk

Advanced search

to think we're screwed? Can anyone think of a solution?

(42 Posts)
owlborn Wed 24-Dec-14 09:10:32

DH's salary hasn't gone into his account today. He started a new job in November so this should have been six weeks salary. And it's just not gone in.

If I'd known in advance that he wasn't going to be paid we'd have been OK but I thought he was about to get a fairly big pay packet (2.5k +) and so I've not been as careful as I should have been - most of my salary (I get paid much earlier in the month) has gone on Christmas and short term loans to DH which we thought he'd be able to get back to me when he got paid.

Now it's Christmas Eve and I have £50 in my bank balance and he has nothing. The payroll department from his company have gone home for Christmas and won't be back until 29th.

We have credit cards but no savings - he was unemployed for a year before he got this job and it depleted us quite badly. Could my bills go out via dd over the Christmas period? Are we about to have things bouncing?

And is there any way anyone can think of to resolve this? He's the most senior manager in work today (skeleton staff due to holidays) so he thinks there isn't anyone he can call.

We should be able to meet most of our Christmas obligations due to credit card but that is making me feel a little sick as we've had awful credit card debt in the past and only finished paying it off last year and now we're falling back into bad ways again.

Please someone tell me I'm being U and this will be OK?

Nabootique Wed 24-Dec-14 09:13:12

That's the second thread like this I've seen in as many days! It's outrageous! I don't think you'll have things bouncing. Direct debits should come out and it could make you overdrawn, incurring charges. Maybe give the bank a call? They might be able to arrange an emergency overdraft.

simbacatlivesagain Wed 24-Dec-14 09:13:53

Call the bank and explain and they will extend your overdraft- they will do a credit check though. We had a payment not arrived and upped ours by £7k on the phone in 10 minutes. Then get his work to foot any costs incurred (they should do this if a decent company).

Bowlersarm Wed 24-Dec-14 09:14:35

It will be ok because you know the money will be coming in.

You could go through last months bank statement to see which, if any, direct debits are still due out.

Use the credit cards but pay back immediately you know your Dhs salary is in his account.

LIZS Wed 24-Dec-14 09:15:56

Is it only him or others too ? Can he check with the bank if the payment has yet to clear ? tbh think I'd be calling someone senior at home. Is this a viable business ?

LadySybilLikesSloeGin Wed 24-Dec-14 09:16:09

Call your bank and ask if there's any direct debits due out, if so, cancel them. They may be able to organise an emergency overdraft, as Nabootique says, but it could help to see them in person and take a copy of his contract so they know that there will be money going in.

cheifbrody Wed 24-Dec-14 09:16:27

Ring the bank... there maybe payment waiting to go in....

I have had this in the past and the payment went in about 10.30......

The bank should know if its pending.

FoxSticks Wed 24-Dec-14 09:18:01

Payroll may not be there but have you tried HR? They may be able to sort something if the payroll manager has remote access.

FunkyBoldRibena Wed 24-Dec-14 09:18:34

Do any of the Salary staff leave their mobile numbers? Is there an external payroll company that make the payments that can be called? Can he contact his manager to find out why payment hasn't been made?

I agree with sorting out an overdraft to cover you. But also, just make sure the bills between now and going back are covered. Also, call the bank to see if there is a payment on it's way to you [sometimes it doesn't show but they can see it].

LittleDonkeyLeftie Wed 24-Dec-14 09:18:51

Definitely call the bank and ask for a temporary overdraft. Once you explain they should be fine.

Also, get DH to call anyone he can think of today to see if anything can be done.

Don't worry about using the credit cards - they are there for emergencies and that is what this is.

Dragonfly71 Wed 24-Dec-14 09:20:16

I would ring the company director at home! Not being flippant, that would make me really angry!

MimiSunshine Wed 24-Dec-14 09:22:08

He needs to start hassling people, yes it's Christmas Eve, yes they've all finished but tough.
He must have a manager above him, can he find a way to contact them? Someone from payroll will have to come back in and authorise an immediate / emergency bacs payment, those people may be put out but I doubt they sit back and accept none payment.

Call the bank and see if it's been paid but not come through then ask about an overdraft until he gets paid.

Aussiemum78 Wed 24-Dec-14 09:24:09

Payments can take longer to process on Christmas eve because of the extra volume of payments before holidays...it might be in tonight?

Aussiemum78 Wed 24-Dec-14 09:26:00

I'd be surprised if payroll hasn't released the funds before they finished up, only other possibility is that someone forgot to add new employees.

x2boys Wed 24-Dec-14 09:28:21

I.have had this a few times once I got paid less than £800 pounds fory Xmas wage I was expecting about £2000 I demanded it from payroll on the 27th they wanted to pay me my back pay at the end of january and were concerned as it would cost them to pay me ! I have also only just received pay enhancements ( for unsocial hours) that should have been paid in august September ,October and November in last weeks wage ! I don't work for a small company by the way I work for the NHS !!

owlborn Wed 24-Dec-14 09:30:47

I've asked him to call the bank and check and see if something is pending and will call the bank and ask about an overdraft but I'm worried they will see how we've depleted our funds in the last year and just say "no".

I've also checked. I've got £300 of direct debits going out between 24th and 28th (if things go out of their normal day). Trying to cancel now.

comeagainforbigfudge Wed 24-Dec-14 09:31:29

Get DH to phone his manager. He's there for a reason. He can at least get an email sent as urgent to payroll team so it's dealt with ASAP once they back.

Also get the overdraft sorted.

Also get DH to phone his bank (unless it's joint account!) Then when on phone ask if anything due in is pending. Sometimes monies that are due in at say midnight don't turn up til later in day. A few of my colleagues have had this happen on payday. Can not remember which bank though!

skiingcat Wed 24-Dec-14 09:34:56

Phone hr or finance in general they should be able to get in touch with someone. As a new start there may have been an oversight between hr and payroll. They should be able to at least do a same day payment.

elfofftheshelf Wed 24-Dec-14 09:35:07

Payroll may not be in but someone in Finance should be able to arrange a direct transfer even if it's just an advance (of the payroll) of a few hundred pounds to tide you over until they can rectify on 29th. I would push for this. No half decent company would want this to happen to an employee on any month never mind at Christmas. I'm sure they will oblige.

softlysoftly Wed 24-Dec-14 09:36:09

We had this last month. DH new job since October no pay until December and that was only because we pushed now they haven't done December's payroll angry HUGE national company too so no excuse. Luckily I got my maternity pay.

I would -

A - call someone senior in charge of payroll to call one of the buggers back in to do an emergency BACS.

B - live from the CC but instantly pay it all back when pay comes in and really don't worry about doing it you would be spending that money anyway.

C - try and get an emergency overdraft or failing that Cancel all DDS that will come out before 31st and contact the company's involved. If necessary make this month's payment by cc

snowaccidentprone Wed 24-Dec-14 09:38:37

Dh works for a small organisation.

His salary normally goes in between 10.30 and 12am, so there is still time.

It's a bit crap though.

londonrach Wed 24-Dec-14 09:42:47

Talk to bank and get an overdraft if you can.

Picturesinthefirelight Wed 24-Dec-14 09:48:59

I process payroll for a small company.

We actually set ours to go in a day early (yesterday) we have to fax the bank by 3.00pm two days beforehand & the payments go in by 3.00pm on the payment day - so there is time yet.

The sheer volume of extra payments at the banks may be slowing things down.

owlborn Wed 24-Dec-14 09:51:42

Apparently he's getting paid by close of business today. So not a disaster any more, but rather stressful.

londonrach Wed 24-Dec-14 09:52:23

Owl i hope you have a stress free day tomorrow xxxx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now