Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To want to know why turkey crown is more expensive

(21 Posts)
DirtyDancing Tue 23-Dec-14 22:50:37

Than a whole turkey?

It probably involves an extra process for the manufacturer removing the legs.. But they can use them/ sell them for burgers/ cat food etc. So why does it cost more?!

Gileswithachainsaw Tue 23-Dec-14 22:53:44

Because it's convenient.

your paying for the privilege of not having to perform surgery to fit it in the oven.

plus they won't be paid much from.pet food companies compared to what ye weight of the bones and extras would have sold for attached to the crown

piggychops Tue 23-Dec-14 22:56:44

The breast meat is white meat and higher value than the brown meat on the legs.

daisychain01 Wed 24-Dec-14 00:03:20

It's a bit like sticking a load of fillet steaks together grin more expensive but tasty and convenient

Rosieposy4 Wed 24-Dec-14 00:07:05

It's not rocket science, you are getting the most desired ( generally), tasty part, with no wastage in the form of bones. Of course it will be more expensive confused

Pancakeflipper Wed 24-Dec-14 00:10:40

You are not paying for inedible legs and wings. And it easier to stick in your fridge. And you actually eat every bit.

nic013 Wed 24-Dec-14 00:11:29

But the leg meat is the tastiest bit.

nic013 Wed 24-Dec-14 00:13:57

And the wings can be roasted with veg to make the gravy.

BackforGood Wed 24-Dec-14 00:18:05

Because you are paying for all the higher quality white meat - no bones, no hassle, just purely a lump of something you are going to eat all of.

SavoyCabbage Wed 24-Dec-14 00:18:07

I'm the only one in my whole family who will eat the white meat.

momb Wed 24-Dec-14 00:23:30

Generally the breast meat is more expensive (think of the cost per pound for turkey escalopes vs turkey legs) plus you are paying for the time/effort it takes to prepare the crown.
You can feed everyyone really cheaply if you go for turkey drumsticks instead: 2 will feed about 8 people with trimmings and only cost you a fiver!

CakeSnow Wed 24-Dec-14 00:31:06

Darker Leg meat is by far the tastiest IMHO

iwantaginsoakedXmas Wed 24-Dec-14 00:38:43

Compare it to buying fish fillets or a whole fish.

Lb per £ it's better value for money. You aren't paying for bones. Just the bits you are going to eat.

fredfredgeorgejnr Wed 24-Dec-14 07:55:34

Turkey Twizzlers would be even cheaper I think.

OnIlkleyMoorBahTwat Wed 24-Dec-14 07:58:55

It's the same as buying chicken breasts. 2 chicken breasts costs nearly the same as a whole chicken for about half the meat. You're paying for the convenience of not having to butcher it yourself.

In either case you could buy the whole bird and chop it up yourself and use the legs and thighs for casseroles etc.

tobysmum77 Wed 24-Dec-14 08:00:39

I love the leg meat. mil buys Turkey crowns it makes me angry .

Gawd knows op but buy a proper Turkey.

NCIS Wed 24-Dec-14 08:22:58

I bought a whole turkey and then my neighbour, who's a butcher, boned and rolled it for me so I get the brown meat as well but it's easier to carve. Win win.

Clawdy Wed 24-Dec-14 08:42:56

Yes .the boned rolled ones are definitely the way to go, but I left it too late to get one from our butcherfsad

NCIS Wed 24-Dec-14 14:48:33

You need a lovely neighbour like mine. smile

LadySybilLikesSloeGin Wed 24-Dec-14 14:51:40

Local Co-op is selling battery farmed non-organic chickens for a tenner! They do have a few strips of bacon on the top though, but it's like Wedding, just mention the word and everything goes up in price hmm The are charging you more because they can and because you'll pay it.

Pico2 Wed 24-Dec-14 14:52:27

Do you mean that a crown cut off a 10lb turkey costs more than a 10lb turkey? Or that a 10lb crown costs more than a 10lb turkey?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now