Talk

Advanced search

to feel upset by this incredibly generous gift

(10 Posts)
wellysrule Tue 23-Dec-14 19:23:12

I have just been given a card with £100 in it, and all I can do is cry...

It is from someone, now a friend (not close as we've not been to each others houses and maybe meet for coffee once a month, also we are at different stages in life), whom I got to know when I worked at a local cafe. I didn't realise they were going through a traumatic time health wise and just chatted to them about their interests and stuff. They have since said that this really helped them through.

They have recently re-established a church nearby and I have gone along to a couple of events and supported them although I have no religion.

I guess Im a bit embarrassed that they saw a need for it, embarrassed by the amount, embarrassed that I have given them nothing in return.

It is a lot of money and they obviously wanted to give it to me (and the children), and it is from the good of their hearts. I think I'm being silly to be upset by it, aren't I?

What do you think?

Wombat22 Tue 23-Dec-14 19:25:04

I think it was lovely of them. They must have found your support very helpful so enjoy it. Merry Christmas fsmile

RandomMess Tue 23-Dec-14 19:25:12

I think you are perhaps deeply touched and that is emotional. It sounds like you have given far more to them than you realise.

MehsMum Tue 23-Dec-14 19:27:25

They sound very generous and kind - and are responding to your generosity and kindness.
Maybe you could pop round with a bunch of flowers or some chocolates, so they know their gift was appreciated.

notagainffffffffs Tue 23-Dec-14 19:29:26

Agree with randommess. Why not pop round with some nice biscuits or something? They obviously are very grateful to you

QTPie Tue 23-Dec-14 19:30:42

It sounds like a real gift from the heart - what a lovely person they are and what a lovely person you must be to be given such a gift.

Accept in the same vein that it was given.

QTPie Tue 23-Dec-14 19:31:46

Agree with popping around with a very small token gift: they aren't looking for you to reciprocate, but it would be a nice gesture.

Cooki3Monst3r Tue 23-Dec-14 19:31:51

They clearly believe you have given them plenty back in return already. More than you obviously realise. I would graciously accept the gift for what it is, a very kind-hearted gesture.

Fuckmath Tue 23-Dec-14 19:33:42

I would definitely pop round with something and just take it in the spirit it's given, knowing that obviously your friendship and support has meant something

wellysrule Tue 23-Dec-14 19:42:23

thank you all for responding - I know I'm being daft but wow! what a gift - they would be horrified if they thought I'd been upset by it so shall make them something and take them photos of the events kids and I have been to which they funded.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now