Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to be thinking about bunking off?

(12 Posts)
MrsBertMacklin Tue 23-Dec-14 09:36:25

I've finished all work I possibly can, anything else to do relies on input from colleagues who are already on leave.

Every single director and manager is now gone.

I can't help any remaining colleagues with their work. They all have very different jobs, eg accounts reporting, procurement.

Can't even pick up phones, even if they rang, we had 2 calls yesterday.

AIBU to think about 'working from home' today?

ShadowKat Tue 23-Dec-14 09:41:25

Is there really nothing at all you could do?

Not even filing or tidying the office or doing some background reading on industry developments or work that you might be doing in the New Year?

If you're being paid to be at work then ethically, you should be trying to do something work related.

SoonToBeMrsB Tue 23-Dec-14 09:41:26

I'd be off like a shot!

PumpkinsMummy Tue 23-Dec-14 09:41:37

Not at all, if you are allowed to work from home then it would be much more sensible to do so. However, don't be surprised if you are asked to sort paperwork, tidy the stationery cupboard, clean your workspace or any other jobs that managers suddenly deem is in your job description when it is quiet. Can you tell I speak from experience?!

wishmiplass Tue 23-Dec-14 09:42:23

Go for it. I'm sending my support home early - she's done all she can for the day. Pointless keeping her here. Can you contact/email someone to get authorisation? just to cover your arse

wishmiplass Tue 23-Dec-14 09:43:43

I, of course, will stay at the office to man phone and finish off a report polishes halo x

londonrach Tue 23-Dec-14 09:44:10

When i worked in an office this time was very useful and used for tiding everything and going through the filing cabinet destroying out of date paperwork. However how a days i bet they dont have filing cabinets so it be tidying up your hard drive.

OneDayWhenIGrowUp Tue 23-Dec-14 09:45:13

Go for it.

I'm working all day today, but the middle of the day have 4 hours with nothing booked in so I'm going to be go home and be on call for that.

Normally I agree with the "find stuff to do" mindset and would start deep cleaning/sorting etc but.....It's Xmas eve eve...!

InanimateCarbonRod Tue 23-Dec-14 09:45:15

I'm working from home today. <read Mumsnetting and wrapping presents> Like you all my colleagues are already on leave and I've nothing much to do. My company are so laid back they are horizontal anyway and nobody checks up on anybody. If you're able to work from home then do it.

MrsBertMacklin Tue 23-Dec-14 09:46:33

I do have a pile of documents in my bottom drawer that need shredding. Except the shredder is in the post room and that was locked yesterday when office manager went home confused

NatJon Tue 23-Dec-14 11:25:55

In my work they make us lowly employees scrub the staff toilets when there's nothing to do hmm I work in a nursery, they have a cleaner and still make us nursery assistants do it as we are "bottom of the rank".

IAmLiftzilla Tue 23-Dec-14 12:56:16

I'm at my desk reading mums net today but 'working from home' tomorrow for similar reasons

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now