Talk

Advanced search

to feel a bit sorry for Russian women who have to use beetroot as lipstick

(35 Posts)
twoopsie Tue 23-Dec-14 08:12:41

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/use-beetroot-for-lipstick-but-men-like-the-natural-look-senator-advises-russian-women-9939466.html

I'm a lippy queen and very rarely leave the house without it. While dh thought this story was stupid, I think actually its an issue that would adversely affect millions and shows how sexist Russian men are.

Toadinthehole Tue 23-Dec-14 08:17:59

Wouldn't it taste nicer than normal lipstick?

ApocalypseThen Tue 23-Dec-14 08:20:36

How sorry is 'a bit'?

ptumbi Tue 23-Dec-14 08:21:52

I never wear lipstick. CAn;t stand the stickiness, or the fake-colour (My lips are red anyway)

It's not essential.

twoopsie Tue 23-Dec-14 08:26:07

I say a bit, as I don't think its a non story and to avoid being flamed by the predictable going on about people are dieing / starving.

OddBoots Tue 23-Dec-14 08:30:49

On first glance the lipstick bit is a bit petty and unimportant but as a symbol of how their lives have been thrown about in ways they couldn't have imagined it is sad.

londonrach Tue 23-Dec-14 08:38:27

(Makes note must buy my first lipstick poundland ones are good i read)

chantico Tue 23-Dec-14 08:44:28

The advice is to use it instead of imported lipstick, and to wear Russian-produced clothes and make up.

Some categories of imported clothes have already been banned, and other imported goods are vanishing.

There is going to be far more for Russians to worry about that beetroot for lipstick (same spirit as browning legs with gravy and pencilling on seams, as done during wartinpme rationing) if their economic crash is as bad as some forecasts.

FishCanFly Tue 23-Dec-14 08:47:56

That sort of thing is a total nonsense and not much to do with reality, just like "they eat dogs in China"

tilliebob Tue 23-Dec-14 08:49:14

I can think of essential items I'd rather have than lipstick. I think my only one must be about 5 years old!

ProbYou Tue 23-Dec-14 08:51:07

What ingredients are in your lipstick? Maybe they feel sorry for you.

MinceSpy Tue 23-Dec-14 08:52:18

Why is it sexist?

Blondebiker4685 Tue 23-Dec-14 08:53:50

Well at least it's not tested on animals, locally sourced, biodegradeable, chemical free

DurhamDurham Tue 23-Dec-14 09:10:12

I wear lipstick daily, I feel better wearing it but I really think in the grand scheme of things that this is a non-story........there are women all over the world who cannot or choose not to wear lipstick.

Purplepixiedust Tue 23-Dec-14 09:12:30

I don't wear lippy daily, just when going out and then because its the done thing.

TrojanWhore Tue 23-Dec-14 09:16:46

What is sexist is the Independent's decision to run a story about how certain imported goods are becoming hard to buy in Russia (eg Apple, IKEA, clothes mentioned in article) under a picture of some nice reddened female lips because someone mentioned non-manufactured alternatives to cosmetics.

It's clearly not just the tabloids who think their readers like to see images of pouting women on tangentially or unrelated stories.

DoJo Tue 23-Dec-14 09:38:25

I feel more sorry for the people who will struggle to buy more essential items in the wake of the economic crisis.

twoopsie Tue 23-Dec-14 13:45:29

Tbh aren't Russia pretty safe for the essentials? Cuba managed OK right

OfficerVanHarkTheHeraldAngels Tue 23-Dec-14 13:48:00

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

StillStayingClassySanDiego Tue 23-Dec-14 13:49:08

twoopsie you do start some interesting threads, I must say. fwink

ShatterResistant Tue 23-Dec-14 13:53:13

I'm with your DH. It's a very silly story, with no basis in the lives of actual Russian women. I wouldn't waste any more time thinking about it, if I was you.

simbacatlivesagain Tue 23-Dec-14 13:54:33

it has had a significant economic impact on some of the UK fish market as they lost there market overnight as they shipped to Russia

JamaicanMeEatMincePies Tue 23-Dec-14 14:44:14

Um I make my own lipstick and I use beetroot powder to colour it, not sure what's wrong with that? Its an excellent natural colourant. confused

twoopsie Wed 24-Dec-14 07:21:07

Probably a good colour for food. But your lips? Isn't it just too purple?

Feminine Wed 24-Dec-14 08:04:16

Oh really...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now