Talk

Advanced search

Elton and David's wedding was not " child free" !

(55 Posts)
jamdonut Tue 23-Dec-14 08:00:46

Just thought I'd point it out -it was a posh do and there were several children there ,other than their two boys.

If they can do it,will others follow suit? I'm just glad to see it, children shouldn't be excluded from weddings, in my view.

eurochick Tue 23-Dec-14 08:02:04

Why do you need to point it out? Most weddings are not child free, posh or not!

ApocalypseThen Tue 23-Dec-14 08:02:47

Most people don't take their social cues from Elton John. Also, if you don't want to go to people's weddings, don't.

LokiBear Tue 23-Dec-14 08:11:53

I wasn't able to go as it clashed with my Christmas do. Glad to see I could have taken dd if I'd have gone though. I sent a nice bottle of champers though.

YonicSleighdriver Tue 23-Dec-14 08:13:31

People with vast amounts of cash can have more people to their wedding than those without?

Well, that is surprising.

TheWhispersOfTheGods Tue 23-Dec-14 08:13:39

They could probably afford to have anyone they wanted there! Budgets are not likely to have featured highly on their concerns, and i imagine they had children's entertainment etc laid on.

sleepwhenidie Tue 23-Dec-14 08:14:12

Umm, I suspect the cost of having free flowing childcare/entertainment and food/bums on seats weren't a concern in Elton and David's budget fconfused?

sleepwhenidie Tue 23-Dec-14 08:14:40

X post Whisper!

Gileswithachainsaw Tue 23-Dec-14 08:16:41

Maybe the people they know aren't teh type to get pissed at the bar while leaving everyone else to watch the or practically ferel children annoying guests?

or leaving them sprawled asleep across furniture because good forbid they go home and miss something.

TraceyTrickster Tue 23-Dec-14 08:29:08

I'd wager Elton and David were not saying ' bloody hell, we will have 15 kids all at xx per head- if we invite kids, you can't have your auntie and uncle and cousins. Your side of the family is huge anyway'.

Guess they went for the ' chuck another 1000 quid in the kitty' approach instead.

londonrach Tue 23-Dec-14 08:45:41

Next door i bet there was a team of nannies ready to take any restless child out. Im a firm believer its up to the bride and groom who gets invited to the wedding.

callamia Tue 23-Dec-14 08:51:04

Apocolypse, I'm totally going to start taking my social cues from Elton and David. This is a superb idea.

Purplepoodle Tue 23-Dec-14 08:52:28

They have a child of their own - that makes it different

19lottie82 Tue 23-Dec-14 08:53:13

If they can do it,will others follow suit? I'm just glad to see it, children shouldn't be excluded from weddings, in my view.

Yes, in YOUR view. So if you get married feel free to invite as many children. I got married last Summer and loved having everyone's kiddies there, BUT if people choose not too it's their own personal choice, it's THEIR wedding and in no way should they be made to feel bad about it.

LizzieMint Tue 23-Dec-14 08:54:50

We had a child-free wedding because we wanted a child-free wedding. What's the problem? Just because it's your view that children shouldn't be excluded doesn't mean everyone can or should share that view.

BauerTime Tue 23-Dec-14 08:57:53

That's about as relevant to anyone else as my Auntie Nora having children at her wedding. That one wasn't a posh do though, more church hall and sausage rolls. Everyone had to bring a bottle and an LP too, should we all start doing that?

KatieKaye Tue 23-Dec-14 08:59:10

Presumably, Elton and David had the sort of wedding they wanted.
And would probably encourage other couples to do what they wanted, rather than blindly following their "example".

I had a child free wedding because I got married young, was among the youngest in my generation and so none of my friends or relations had children.

WhoKnowsWhereTheMistletoes Tue 23-Dec-14 08:59:27

I prefer going to weddings without mine.

OddBoots Tue 23-Dec-14 08:59:51

Well for all the weddings you have you can invite children then.

wheresthelight Tue 23-Dec-14 09:00:18

some people just don't want kids running around or whinging through a ceremony when they have saved for years on order to have their perfect day.

it may not be your choice but it is some people and Yabvu to think you have any right to deny people a choice in one of the biggest days of their lives

Sparklingbrook Tue 23-Dec-14 09:01:36

Children should go to weddings as long as there is a guarantee they won't winge, whine and screech or cry through the service and the speeches.

timetoplay Tue 23-Dec-14 09:42:23

They had the wedding they wanted on the budget they chose as do every other couple. Why should people invite kids because they do? Im very curious how you came about that thinking. Do you think people look up to.them or that people are sheep who'll do what others do whether it suits them or not.

I just don't get it, you could also say ' they used x flowers, suits, vows hopefully others will chose to now.' Baffling!

ApocalypseThen Tue 23-Dec-14 09:54:22

I think the key here is "they expected me to abandon MY CHILD for their wedding! Well, I'm a love me have my child attend every event I'm invited to person so I declined on mine and my children's behalfs so they would know why I would come and be utterly shamed!"

Chippednailvarnish Tue 23-Dec-14 10:04:16

Just thought I'd point it out -it was a posh do and there were several children there ,other than their two boys

I'm laughing at the idea of Elton John, the Beckhams and Co being posh. It may well have been expensive, but it certainly wasn't posh.

RonaldMcDonald Tue 23-Dec-14 10:06:27

No they won't had children there unless they want to

Why would anyone care what someone else did at their wedding?

I hate children at weddings and all the bleating about not bringing them.
If you can't be separated from little Jimmy/Jemima for a wedding then don't go
Perfect solution

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now