Talk

Advanced search

About the "amazing" dad post on FB?

(48 Posts)
HonestLie Mon 22-Dec-14 21:32:09

I probably am but I don't really get it.

Noticed a lot of posts recently of compilation pictures

HonestLie Mon 22-Dec-14 21:35:42

... On FB of dads doing pretty normal things with their kids but it's all labelled things like "winning at parenting" and "best ever dads". Why not just being a normal loving dad. A lot of the comments seem to be along the lines of amazing dads how can women keep men away from their children etc etc.

It's maybe more the comments that bug me but I haven't ever seen pictures of a mum taking their children out to do normal/nice things and being labelled "amazing" for doing it. It's parenting confused

WorraLiberty Mon 22-Dec-14 21:37:29

Oh god I've seen it in reverse

I thought everyone had seen the sickly twee 'If Mums were paid' posts?

YANBU though, it's all a pile of wank.

Cantbelievethisishappening Mon 22-Dec-14 21:39:07

...on a par with 'hands on dad'. Those three little word give me the absolute rage.

Oh I know the ones, takes a pic doing something mundane with the kids and it's all comments about, parenting - your doing it right and way to go!

It's ridiculous, they could be the world's worst parent for all we know!

CaptainAnkles Mon 22-Dec-14 21:39:38

As a general rule, anything that tells you to 'share if you agree / know someone who.../ hate a disease' etc are irritating bollocks.

Tacanya Mon 22-Dec-14 21:39:46

I know, ridiculous!

I'm a single mother and I do it all like millions of other single mothers, but we're the collective pin upon which to hang all society's ills really. A dad does 1% of what I do every week, week in week out and he's a stand up guy. [puke]

ProbYou Mon 22-Dec-14 21:43:55

Tacanya, so true.

I am feeling the same way regarding the piles of presents all wrapped to perfection.

I rather a relaxed picture of children's faces when they have a gift they like or people around the dinner takle having fun. That is all just normal, there is no need for all this congraulatory rubbish.

HonestLie Mon 22-Dec-14 21:47:32

Glad it's not just me. Come to think of it I have seen the Mum equivalent in the "I'm not just a mum I'm a doctor, cleaner..." Posts. I was more just thinking of the pics. One of the pics was two toddlers with unplugged play station controls while Dad was playing FIFA (or similar). Didn't scream perfect parenting to me really. I'm not even criticising that just not sure why it's so amazing that this has been done (according to the post obviously)

HonestLie Mon 22-Dec-14 21:48:07

Ah yes, the masses of gifts pictures hmm

HonestLie Mon 22-Dec-14 21:50:49

Ah yes, the masses of gifts pictures hmm

ssd Mon 22-Dec-14 21:51:14

moral of the story, keep away from fb

pile, pile of shite

ProbYou Mon 22-Dec-14 21:53:03

Do these people think they are the only parents to spend time with thier own child, the only one parents to cook a Christmas meal, the only one to wrap presents and give them to their children?

Or do they spend no time with their children, never cook anything and normally give the children one gift wrapped in newspaper, so have to documnet what they actually do as it is so rare?

kim147 Mon 22-Dec-14 21:53:34

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

EvilTendency1 Mon 22-Dec-14 21:54:40

ssd

Spot on.

Trills Mon 22-Dec-14 21:55:56

People are boring and unoriginal.

HonestLie Mon 22-Dec-14 21:59:24

Yes SSD you're probably right.

spanky2 Mon 22-Dec-14 22:01:25

I would prefer to like my dad's a sh@t dad! I hate the I've cooked this... as well as my amazing dad/mum/family.

misskangaandroo2014 Mon 22-Dec-14 22:47:54

Oh I remember being tagged in one about single parents (when I was). With some gushing trite from someone who'd shared it. She barely gave me the time of day at the school gate. I couldn't help but think it was a weird thing to do. The 'share if you love your dd/ds/dp/etc etc' do give me extreme rage. I really REALLY must give up FB!

okeydonkey Mon 22-Dec-14 23:08:53

My Dsis's exP is soooo annoying at this. FB full of pics I'm doing this with the kids, look at me ive cooked them a roast, I've taken them to park. Etc etc.
I know the real dad that he is- doesn't pay maintenance, screams st Dsis on phone daily, is controlling of her still and would eat food in front of kids when they are saying they are hungry. A really shite dad, all in all. But he gets 50 likes and people saying you are such a good dad, drives me mad

Tacanya Mon 22-Dec-14 23:24:19

Yes, I'll stay off fb on christmas day, because I'll be happy and content with my family! until I see that somebody's else's better family and better day confused

BertieBotts Mon 22-Dec-14 23:27:19

The one which keeps coming up on my feed and annoying me is the one where the mum asks santa for 5 minutes' peace and he says no a unicorn is more realistic. FFS they do sleep sometimes! It's a relatively short time when they don't let you drink a cup of tea (and it's not the newborn period - plenty of long feeds to drink tea in then!)

Zippidydoodah Mon 22-Dec-14 23:32:21

I've had plenty of hot cups of tea (that feckin' old chestnut!!)

Yup, agreed, all a pile of utter wankstain.

BlackbirdOnTheWire Mon 22-Dec-14 23:48:03

Is it really a relatively short time? Please let me know when it's going to be over, I would LOVE a hot cup of tea! (But you're right, I had plenty when D 1 was a newborn...)

BlackbirdOnTheWire Mon 22-Dec-14 23:50:24

Also - when do they sleep? I've just been trying to get the 2yo back to sleep and I'd put money on him waking between 1 and 1.30, the 5yo was awake till 9 and then woke again at 11... They'll both wake between 5.30 and 6 and tomorrow will be hell.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now