Talk

Advanced search

To think lonliness isn't just for the elderly

(34 Posts)
RoastingYourChestnutsHurtsAlot Mon 22-Dec-14 18:45:42

So can I give you a nudge to swing by and see anyone you know who is on their own, not just this week, but maintain regular contact with them

A lot of focus at this time is in elderly and loneliness but it's something that affects all age groups - only younger people are less likely to talk about it

So pop by. Say hi. Have a cuppa. Just because they're Young doesn't mean they're not lonely

mytartanscarf Mon 22-Dec-14 18:47:26

Yes! I'm 32 and will be on my own.

Bunbaker Mon 22-Dec-14 18:48:54

DD is 14 and feels lonely a lot of the time because her boyfriend and some of her friends at school have dumped her.

MistressDeeCee Mon 22-Dec-14 18:56:43

I agree, there are a lot of lonely people out there. Modern life isn't all its cracked up to be..so many don't seem to look out for each other any more.

Bunbaker could you enrol your DD in a couple of out of school activities eg dance or drama or martial arts or anything else she may like? Where she'll meet new people in her age group? Teens tend to take things to heart she must be feeling awful

headdesk Mon 22-Dec-14 19:09:31

I'm working on Christmas day to take my mind off the fact I'll be lonely sad

ChristmasDawndonnaagain Mon 22-Dec-14 19:55:25

I spent a few Christmasses on my own between 19 and 23. It was horrible.
Good on you for reminding folk, Roasting

TheFourthLobster Mon 22-Dec-14 19:56:55

YABU, somebody posted on my FB about watching out for lonely elderly people at Xmas but they are not the only ones who are lonely. Obviously it's important that people look out for them but they don't have a monopoly on loneliness.

TheFourthLobster Mon 22-Dec-14 19:58:04

Sorry OP, I meant YANBU of course.

kim147 Mon 22-Dec-14 20:00:50

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Pensionerpeep Mon 22-Dec-14 20:01:08

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

RoastingYourChestnutsHurtsAlot Tue 23-Dec-14 09:18:26

Sorry to hear that tartanscarf and head

TheVioletTinsel Tue 23-Dec-14 09:46:04

Yanbu, good idea for a thread op

RoastingYourChestnutsHurtsAlot Tue 23-Dec-14 09:49:40

Thanks! I'm going to shamelessly bump it from time to time to remind folks!

RoastingYourChestnutsHurtsAlot Tue 23-Dec-14 15:51:08

Friendly festive reminder

KoalaDownUnder Tue 23-Dec-14 15:54:54

Yes, you are so right. Lots of people are terribly lonely, and age has little to do with it.

I'm off to see my sister and her family tomorrow, but I still feel really lonely inside. This time of year really gets to me. I'm 41 and am single with no children; sometimes I feel defined by my loneliness.

Bunbaker Tue 23-Dec-14 16:26:07

I have explored all avenues Mistress and she is not interested in any out of school activities.

MistressDeeCee Tue 23-Dec-14 21:19:07

Bunbaker thats a real shame because it would do her good to have another outlet and meet different people she could become friends with. Its a funny age tho, they do take things to heart. You'll just have to keep a good eye on her I suppose, which you must already be doing anyway, and fingers crossed she'll snap out of it..

ilovesooty Tue 23-Dec-14 21:47:39

7% of people will be spending Christmas alone this year. And there will be many who are not technically alone but are still lonely - not all of them elderly.

Bunbaker Wed 24-Dec-14 15:46:25

I agree Mistress, but she is being very stubborn and won't do anything she doesn't want to (except study and go to school).

haphazardbystarlight Wed 24-Dec-14 16:47:48

Agree ilovesooty

I'm dreading it a bit. DS has had his main present and isn't too bothered and dd is only a baby. But today has lasted an eternity.

Trenzalore Wed 24-Dec-14 18:23:36

Kim I agree. And Im the same with mn. (just changed nn again btw, Im a regular).

Greetings to all at Christmas.

SoleSource Wed 24-Dec-14 20:46:39

Yanbu

I would love to set up a regulate meeting place but no idea how to start. Meet up site I know about but community centre here closed.

I could advertise.

RoastingYourChestnutsHurtsAlot Wed 24-Dec-14 21:10:19

Same here sole and I'm worried about it seeming patronising too.

ThereIsAPartridgeInTheKitchen Wed 24-Dec-14 21:26:36

YANBU.

I'm only 23 but I get lonely a lot. I find it hard to relate to people and struggle to make friends anyways so I'm on my own a lot.

monkeymamma Wed 24-Dec-14 21:36:02

Yanbu - I remember being loneliest in my 20s and as a student.

Pensionerpeep you may be on to something there. I can't drive and I know all our neighbours and loads of people on our estate just from walking about with the buggy. I normally feel very down about not driving and give myself a lot of grief about it, so it's nice to see a positive side to it too!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now