Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to be worried about what the sonographer didn't tell us?

(13 Posts)
Yambabe Mon 22-Dec-14 18:22:55

Backstory: DH had a bad episode with kidney stones back in 2010. Since then, he has never been "right" although sporadic medical investigations since have shown no major problems.

Today, following more bouts of pain and discomfort recently and because of blood & urine tests coming back negative, he went for an ultrasound.

The sonographer was very nice and chatty. While he was on the table she scanned both his kidneys and told him there and then that there were no signs of stones, infection or scarring. I was a bit surprised that she was so upfront about it to be honest. She then scanned his bladder, and without saying anything else told him he would need to make an appointment to see his GP in a weeks time to discuss the report she was going to send.

I am now a little bit worried (although haven't said so to him) that there may be a problem there, as she could easily have said that his bladder looked OK too rather than going all quiet on him.

AIBU to think that she may have spotted something and I will now have to bite my nails til he sees the GP nest week?

Happyringo Mon 22-Dec-14 18:27:28

It's routine to be told to make an appointment to discuss the scan, please try not to worry too much (easy for me to say I know). Hope all turns out ok xx

bettyspaghetti33 Mon 22-Dec-14 18:29:00

Well sounds as if she possibly did spot something but was trying to be professional about it and let the doctor discuss it with you at the next appointment.

Can you not see your GP a little sooner if this is worrying you?

maddy68 Mon 22-Dec-14 19:33:57

Ma it's routine. They always make you an appointment to discuss the result's even if there is nothing there

WeeFreeKings Mon 22-Dec-14 19:36:13

Possibly. But as PPs have said perhaps it's routine to discuss any results? If the sonographer found nothing then your DH needs to discuss what else it might be I imagine?

Itsgoingtoreindeer Mon 22-Dec-14 19:39:44

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

itsmeitscathy Mon 22-Dec-14 21:36:20

Please try not to worry - that sounds completely normal.

Nerf Mon 22-Dec-14 21:41:02

Totes normal. Don't worry.

julieann42 Mon 22-Dec-14 22:37:41

My son had an ultrasound where they found something, they only said to us contact your GP in a couple of weeks for an appointment to discuss the report. My GP was on the phone to us by 10am the following morning. So if there is something they will sort you out sooner I'm sure, but being a nurse I know they always say, contact your GP to get the results.

Strawberyshortcake Tue 23-Dec-14 23:15:03

That's totally normal procedure. If anything was urgent, they would phone u straight away.

sharonthewaspandthewineywall Tue 23-Dec-14 23:18:20

Last time I had a scan the doctor rang me saying I needed to come in to discuss the report.
He then told me exactly what the sonographer did. It's routine

Yambabe Wed 24-Dec-14 00:44:46

Thanks everyone, I feel a bit better now.

I wasn't expecting to get results there and then, I knew he would have to make a follow-up with the GP to discuss.

I was just a bit surprised that she was so chatty for the first bit and reassured him that the scan showed no trace of stones, crystals, damage or infection in his kidneys tbh. Which is good of course!

I suppose maybe she realised she had possibly said too much already and that was why she went quiet when she was scanning his bladder?

Anyhow I'm going to just have some wine crack on with Christmas and see if he can get an early appointment next week. Fingers crossed!

peggyundercrackers Wed 24-Dec-14 00:55:18

As others have said sounds totally normal, it's the way they deliver results now. If there'd is anything seriously wrong they will call straight away.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now