Talk

Advanced search

To be getting stressed about this incident

(9 Posts)
Flowerydems Sun 21-Dec-14 23:28:00

Well, tonight my two DS (3,2) were having a little dance along with a DVD when all hell broke loose from downstairs. They must've dented their ceiling the way they were banging on it. I can understand that it was probably noisy from below, but we have really thick carpet and underlay and it was only half 5 at night. I went down and chapped on their door to let them know that we were sorry and that it was just the kids having a little boogie, but they then put the music up full blast to avoid my knocks and to fill my flat with shite music.
I understand that it was probably annoying but we put up with a lot of noise on a daily basis from them, including bouts of raging at each other (Police have been round twice) and thumping and roaring at all hours. All of which wakes up and scares the boys.
I'm beside myself thinking they're going to complain about us regardless if we've kept our mouths shut about their noise. I am setting up the films in the boys room after xmas when they get their little telly so they can boogie in there, and my eldest DS has a disability which means he's very heavy footed. So now I'm really worried that this is going to be a regular occurence and that I'm going to have two boys that are terrified to go running around in the flat as normal.I don't think I'm BU thinking they were out of line all things considered and that they could have at least answered their door but I'm sure you might be able to help me think of other ways to fix this if I'm wrong x

CocobearSqueeze Sun 21-Dec-14 23:34:25

It's hard living in an apartment building. My dd used to "jump" when she danced and DH would go on about how he felt sorry for the neighbours.
We are lucky they never ever complained. If they did I would understand as I would absolutely hate having someone jump up and down like that ... even at 5.30 pm.

Blondie1984 Sun 21-Dec-14 23:39:54

Maybe just let them cool off a bit and then go apologise again - it might have been they were too annoyed to speak to you at that moment - it may have been 5.30 but they might have been having a nap or trying to relax....it sounds like they are hardly angels though

ProcrastinaRemNunc Sun 21-Dec-14 23:48:05

Children dancing at 5.30, would be considered a reasonable and normal family noise. I doubt any complaint of theirs would get them anywhere! However, if they were playing music above a certain db (in response), that could be considered a nuisance noise. You have grounds for a complaint here, not them!

Mollymoofer Sun 21-Dec-14 23:58:33

Agree with Proscrastina's post. They've had the police around TWICE. You have children who're a bit noisy, presumably early evening. Your neighbours need to get a grip.

AlfAlf Mon 22-Dec-14 00:07:44

Children making a bit of noise playing in their own home at 5.30pm should not be a problem. Your neighbours sound like arseholes. Make official complaints whenever they make unreasonable noise.
YANBU to be stressed by it, it's not nice to live near arseholes sad
Hopefully they will move on soon.

PresidentTwonk Mon 22-Dec-14 01:00:52

If they can't stand a reasonable level of noise they shouldn't live in a flat! I live in a ground floor flat, if I'm sitting in silence reading I can hear muffled voices, walking, the dog running etc but I'd never complain, it's people living their life! I hear more noise from the street than the upstairs flat! They sound like a nightmare though if they've got the police round, won't open the door to you and blast music! I'm very glad I have (so far) only ever had nice neighbours!

CheeseBuster Mon 22-Dec-14 02:41:06

If they were bouncing and giggling then YANBU. If they were squeaking and throwing themselves all over the place then YABU. There is normal family noise and there is treating the living room like a playground.

Flowerydems Mon 22-Dec-14 10:54:16

Thanks for the input guys. I have decided that maybe the way my son was dancing with his problem with his feet could have been deemed unreasonable so I'm just going to keep dancing and roughness to a minimum in the sitting room (which is above theirs) as much as I can.
Playing in their room seems like it might be the best option. It's hard when it's a small flat but that's life until we can get a deposit together I guess smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now