Talk

Advanced search

To think that schools ought to have broken up for Christmas by now? (Lighthearted)

(36 Posts)
Taz1212 Sun 21-Dec-14 20:37:01

I am on holiday. DH is on holiday. DS is on holiday. DD still has school tomorrow and Tuesday! Why? I am in holiday mode and am paranoid that the alarm will go off tomorrow and I will wonder why I set it and go back to sleep. grin

Surely all sensible schools broke up no later than last Friday?

FourEyesGoodKingWenceslas Sun 21-Dec-14 20:38:41

I weep for those teachers. I really do.

Foxy800 Sun 21-Dec-14 20:45:14

Cor where is that school? All the ones I know have already broken up.x

unlucky83 Sun 21-Dec-14 20:48:18

We live on the border of two areas...our schools broke up on Fri ...
Schools over the border are open till Tuesday...(then again we go back straight after new year and they get a bit longer...)
But the people I really feel for are teachers with children who live on this side of the border who work on the other side. I know one family with 3 DCs, both teachers, both working till Tuesday. Luckily they have family around as all the local CMs etc in our area have also broken up for Christmas now...

Taz1212 Sun 21-Dec-14 20:48:33

I am happy to name and shame West Lothian Council (Scotland). grin

DH has just volunteered to take on the responsibility of remembering to get DD to school tomorrow and Tuesday. I will need to remember to collect her! grin

BrightestAndBest Sun 21-Dec-14 20:54:27

I'm not on holiday until end of Wednesday - meanwhile DD & DS have been on holiday since 12 Dec...

Sickofthesnow Sun 21-Dec-14 20:58:13

Normally our lot finish on the 23rd (West Dunbartonshire) but this year they finished on the 19th.

ilovepowerhoop Sun 21-Dec-14 21:03:33

mine finish up on Tuesday too (North Lanarkshire) but my sister's kids finished up last Friday (South Lanarkshire)

SetPhasersTaeMalkie Sun 21-Dec-14 21:06:37

Tuesday here as well. DS is devastated. grin

Gaia81 Sun 21-Dec-14 21:07:50

YABU.

Far better to break up later and go back later. A full 5 days of waiting for Christmas Day at primary age is agony.

Dipankrispaneven Sun 21-Dec-14 21:09:56

Wow, don't Scottish schools go back in August? How long is the term altogether?

Sipsmith Sun 21-Dec-14 21:12:26

DS finished a week ago!

PiperIsTerrysChoclateOrange Sun 21-Dec-14 21:13:01

DC both broke up Friday.

I'm exchusted and looking forward to a lazy morning. I don't break up from work but it's my day off tomorrow until Boxing Day so looking forward to the last day of peace until the festive season begins.

Taz1212 Sun 21-Dec-14 21:13:09

But Gaia81, DS(12 and at school in a different area) has been off since last Wed afternoon. DD would much rather be off with the rest of us and go back when her brother does on the 6th, rather than the 8th- honestly! grin

Fabulous46 Sun 21-Dec-14 21:15:00

They went back on 19th August then had the October break as well as 3 service days at the end of November in my area. The terms aren't terribly long.

ilovepowerhoop Sun 21-Dec-14 21:18:14

ours go back on the 5th January same as my sister's who broke up earlier

Ours went back in August, were off for a long weekend in September, had a week off in October and had an inservice day in November

AlpacaLypse Sun 21-Dec-14 21:18:46

Goodness, mine are exhausted and have spent most of the weekend sleeping (England, went back September 4th, had 11 days altogether including weekends at end of October, broke up on Friday afternoon)!

How long is the Scottish October break?

thefirstmrsrochester Sun 21-Dec-14 21:19:17

We are North Lanarkshire also and my kids are utterly disgusted to be in till Tuesday. I'm happy for two extra days to get on with christmas prep without them under my feet. Quite a lot of the high school kids take the last day of term off anyway, I'd imagine there will be a lot who won't be in this week.

ilovepowerhoop Sun 21-Dec-14 21:23:37

We only get 1 week in October here but some areas seem to get 2 weeks

JennyBlueWren Sun 21-Dec-14 21:24:20

We have four terms in the year. August to October with a 2 week "Tattie Holiday" then October to December. We don't normally have a half-term although children may get a "mid-term break" with perhaps a day off for teachers and an inservice day or two.

We broke up on Friday but depending on when Christmas falls in the week we might break up closer to Christmas Eve -has been 23rd before. I don't really mind so long as we get the time afterwards instead.

Taz1212 Sun 21-Dec-14 21:27:08

We get one week in October as well. Of course DS had one week and then DD had the following week which was also difficult to remember but at least I wasn't in holiday mode then. I'm in holiday mode now. Stamps feet

Whitewhine Sun 21-Dec-14 21:27:36

West Lothian here too - waves to Taz. I don't mind too much though as I'm working mon/tues and it has just forced me to be uber organised! I braved the shopping hell that is Almondvale/McArthur Glen this morning. All done smug.

Taz1212 Sun 21-Dec-14 21:30:33

Oh God, whitewine brave you! I did Sainsbury's and Morrison's today- did not get near the centre but have booked my slot for 7:00AM on Tuesday to pick up my Turkey from M&S. I'm figuring I should be able to get parked at 7:00AM!

Whitewhine Sun 21-Dec-14 21:34:06

Yeah, you'll be fine - just use the wee multi-storey car park at the back! My plan is to wing it with the M&S order and attempt the Gyle on Tuesday Eve.... Surely there will be some food left on the shelves???

Linnet Sun 21-Dec-14 21:39:55

I'm in Perth and Kinross and our schools finished on Friday and go back January 5th.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now