Talk

Advanced search

Too resign over this

(44 Posts)
natureplantar101 Sun 21-Dec-14 11:54:06

So yesterday I got my christmas rota at work and I only have 23rd and 25th off then at work all weekangry angry my boss had promised me 4 days off 23rd- 27th but looking at his rota he has taken my holidays for himself and hes off for 7 days this isn't the first time he has done something like this 2 months ago he refused to let me book 2 weeks holiday off even though I was entitled to them and asked well im advance of when I wanted them WWYD

ilovesooty Sun 21-Dec-14 11:56:36

Do you have a union rep or HR department to discuss this with?

We're your holiday requests in writing?

Do you need the job or can you afford just to resign?

edamsavestheday Sun 21-Dec-14 11:58:05

Can you find another job easily? That does sound shit.

BallsforEarings Sun 21-Dec-14 11:58:12

Wow nature - I am hearing this more and more often it's horrible!

What does it say in your contract? Also can you afford to hand in your notice?

Would you be able to talk to him about this and express your feelings about him denying your holiday entitlement even with due notice?

Happy36 Sun 21-Dec-14 11:59:23

You are fully entitled to feel pissed off and enraged but I urge you not to resign over this. In future make holiday requests in writing and ask for the confirmation in writing too. Can you discuss this

Happy36 Sun 21-Dec-14 12:01:34

with your boss and try to reach a compromise? Alternatively, speak to HR, union rep. or your boss' boss. But play the long game, think of your job and professional reputation. Good luck.

daisychain01 Sun 21-Dec-14 12:01:48

Hi nature, I definitely would not resign over this. Protect your employment, you should not be forced to walk out and have the problem of seeking new employment, even though you must be completely hacked off by your boss' unfairness re holidays.

I would suggest a calm and honest conversation, make it constructive and concise:

Please could we have a moment to talk about this year's rota?
I'm disappointed that I only have 23 and 25th off as I believe we had a discussion about my leave a few weeks ago and I was user the impression you agreed to me having x y and z days off.
Just wondering whether you have forgotten when you drew up this rota.
Any chance I can have x y and z days off please, (as I have family coming over and it would be lovely to spend time with them over Christmas)

... Or words to that effect

Using words like "disappointed" and "I wonder whether..." Just take the rough edge off and shows him you can deal with it professionally despite being royally pissed off by the old selfish arse

Chocolateteacake Sun 21-Dec-14 12:02:12

If you resign you would need to work notice anyway. Have you anything in writing about agreeing holidays?

daisychain01 Sun 21-Dec-14 12:03:04

Sorry

under the impression...

ClashCityRocker Sun 21-Dec-14 12:05:32

If you resign you will need to work a notice period, so will probably be working the days anyway.

Given that, you will only be in a worse situation - still working over christmas with no job in January.

I would do as daisy suggests.

And if you still want to go in the new year, look for a new job and leave on good terms with a decent reference.

pressone Sun 21-Dec-14 12:09:46

In my job - (shift work that needs to cover 24/7 365 days a year) the bosses shift allowance doesn't include as many bank holiday days as the staffs does, therefore there will be fewer of us in. This is because we need to do the operational part of our job on bank holidays, but not the admin part. The staff don't know about our pay (and don't care to listen to explanations) so just think we are being entitled and superior when fewer of us appear on Christmas Day/Boxing Day than would on any other Thursday or Friday

Is it possible that your firm works the same way, or are you a very small firm and the boss thinks he is entitled to perks as he often works at home to keep the business afloat/has worked long hard hours over the years to build up the business/has taken a pay cut so his staff don't have to/is an arse? (One of these things is different from the other ones.....)

natureplantar101 Sun 21-Dec-14 14:35:12

I'm 21 0 hr contract HQ for the restaraunt probably wouldn't even listen to me the regional manager just ignores our complaints yes I can afford to lose the job but DP wants me to stick it out till summer so it looks good on my CV

ClashCityRocker Sun 21-Dec-14 14:36:45

If it's a 0 hour contract, aren't you entitled to refuse to work? I thought that was the point of them.

ilovesooty Sun 21-Dec-14 14:41:40

If there's a regional manager there'll be an HR department. Did you put requests in writing?

natureplantar101 Sun 21-Dec-14 14:41:54

I dont think so when I agreed to the job I was told holidays had to be given in notice 2 weeks or more in advance nothing about putting it in writingsad I feel trapped all the time never sure when I'll get work or how long it will be for it could be a week of 9hr shifts over and over and then nothing for 2 weeks then 2 4 hr shifts I have been applying for other jobs but not had any luck so far I'm sure I'm not the only 20 something in this situation

lastnightiwenttomanderley Sun 21-Dec-14 14:46:09

Do you have a formal contract? Whilst they may have told you that holidays need to be requested in advance, if you're on a 0hr contract then it works both ways. They don't have to give you any hours but equally you don;t have to accept them. They'd also be on a sticky wicket if they tried to get rid of you because of it , as you're not in breach of contract. They could. however, make your life difficult and stop giving you hours in the future.

WHat happens in the summer?

natureplantar101 Sun 21-Dec-14 14:48:33

I quit in the summer as I'll have been there a yr DP said it will look good on my CV that is stuck it out it its says I was just there for 4 months like it would if I quit now it will look bad it's my first job too

lastnightiwenttomanderley Sun 21-Dec-14 14:52:04

I can sort of see your DPs point but at the same time, if it's your first job, what happens if you just leave it off CVs in the future?

Any new job you go for now will surely understand 'I was looking for something more secure than a 0hrs contract' as a reason for wanting to move and then, once you've got a job with considerate management on board you will be much better placed.

As PPs have said, was any of the conversation in writing?

If your regional manager is ignoring staff grievances then I would go higher up. An organisation of this size should have a mechanism for doing that?

BrowersBlues Sun 21-Dec-14 14:53:42

Nature, I am a bit out of touch with the system but is it still the case that if you resign from a job you can't get benefits. I don't know how it works with zero contract hours but it would be worth finding out.

Otherwise it just might be a terrible misfortune that you have come down with the flu and cannot make it to work over the holidays.

AppleAndBlackberry Sun 21-Dec-14 14:57:09

In my opinion it doesn't matter too much how long you've been there, but long gaps in your CV when you weren't working are not great. If I were you I would start job hunting in the new year and resign when you have something else to go to.

SacreBlue Sun 21-Dec-14 14:59:31

I really feel for you, zero hours contracts can be horrendous if the company choose to abuse them <and I wonder why they are available legally if so open to abuse>

Get everything, and put everything, in writing. It doesn't protect you as such but it does stop 'I said, they said' stuff if you have proof of what was said/agreed.

A colleagues daughter once worked an entire summer for a restaurant on her break from uni - only to not be paid at all as they denied she had ever worked there! Mediation led to the company admitting she had worked there but only agreeing to pay half the time.

As it stands the girl has still not been paid anything for a whole summers work. It is hard to stand up and insist on written agreements - and some companies may try to avoid this - but ime verbal 'trust' agreements only ever protect the scammers - employers or employees - trying to jack the system.

WeAreEternal Sun 21-Dec-14 15:21:38

Don't quit, but on the 24th complain all shift about feeing ill and make a few quick dashes to the loo making sure people notice.

Then on the 26th call in sick and say you spent all of Christmas Day in the loo and in bed, and you couldn't possibly make it to work.

On the 28th say you are feeling just about well enough to come in.

That's what I would do in your position.

Bulbasaur Sun 21-Dec-14 15:25:56

DH has an entire resume full of jobs he's never been at more than a year. He just bounces between jobs all the time.

The advantage for him is that he can say he has experience in many areas, which he does. So when he gets hired it's barely any training, so he has an easier time finding jobs.

If it's your first job, I'd just quit and start over. Find a new "first job" to start at. Just don't mention it on your resume. But if it's a min wage job, it's very reasonable to say you left looking for better opportunities.

mushypeasontoast Sun 21-Dec-14 15:27:11

So you are on a zero hours contract to build up your employability.

Personally, if I was in your shoes and didnt need the money so could take the hit of less hours after Christmas, I would tell them I was unavailable for those shifts.

I would not resign, that route will bring problems, however even if they give you zero hours for a while, technically this will still show as in employment.

It also gives you a good reason to look for another job.

natureplantar101 Mon 22-Dec-14 05:43:08

I have spoke to DP and im going to do the hours my boss has asked and go part time after christmas and look for a better job

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now