Talk

Advanced search

To think that Jamie Oliver lives in a parallel universe?

(171 Posts)
iamthenewgirl Sun 21-Dec-14 09:25:54

Have watched a few of his programmes over the last few days and I cannot help but think wtf?!

Every dish he makes seems to feed about 100 people. He's cooking a chicken kebab about the size of my leg at the moment. Shiny happy children gorging on massive pieces of chocolate cake. His perfect bloody house and his opinions on how we should all be shopping daily from the food market... hmm

FoxSticks Sun 21-Dec-14 09:28:58

It is a parallel universe but then aren't all the cooking programmes a bit like that? I'd be quite happy to live in Jamie or Nigella land.

CrockedPot Sun 21-Dec-14 09:29:19

YANBU?..in one of his books he recommends you 'ask the veg boy' to check the aubergines are fresh...Last time I checked they don't have those in Aldi.

Can't help but like his food though.

Tryharder Sun 21-Dec-14 09:30:05

But there are people who live like that..
wealthy people

Bowlersarm Sun 21-Dec-14 09:31:11

I don't care, I love his parallel universe. It's all happy and twinkly.

FoxSticks Sun 21-Dec-14 09:33:02

I'm particularly envious of his outdoor oven. Imagine how smoky and tasty the food would be.

MrsGeorgeMichael Sun 21-Dec-14 09:33:15

in my wee bubble thats how i live smile
imagine even getting to make a meal without someone needing me for something (that is my excuse why i burn things!)

springlamb Sun 21-Dec-14 09:34:24

Nigella done up to the nines sticking her poussins into a roasting tin.
Me in my vintage 2001 BHS nightie and the old bed jacket my sister passed onto me, smeary glasses and hair like a banshee chucking a roast in the bag chook into my filthy (well seasoned) oven.

Minion Sun 21-Dec-14 09:35:07

The man must spend a small countries gdp on olive oil alone.

BalloonSlayer Sun 21-Dec-14 09:35:28

I am not at all envious of his parallel universe where you can punish your child by rubbing a super hot chilli all over her apple because she disrespected you.

mrsbee2be Sun 21-Dec-14 09:36:05

He's a nobber, & I hope it pisses it down unexpectedly when he next uses his outdoor oven.... I may just be jealous of his twinkly life

DandyHighwayman Sun 21-Dec-14 09:37:57

Haha yes MrsGM

Egg custard reaching Critical Mass? Cue a tug at elbow, "Mama Charlie's got his head stuck in the potty"

Thank gawd mine are older now, phew!

Eastpoint Sun 21-Dec-14 09:38:11

We have 3 different market stalls selling veg on our high street as well as greengrocers & supermarkets - if I wanted to ask them I could but I suspect they'd just lie & say they were fresh regardless.

I am full of admiration for Jamie - he works hard and has achieved a huge amount. I haven't heard any nasty rumours or gossip about him, he seems fab to me (& we'd go round to his house for a meal anytime).

Tinkerball Sun 21-Dec-14 09:38:36

Spring lamb fgrin

I just love how all glam she is, especially when she is baking. I however look as red as a beetroot and as if I've done a gym workout combined with an explosion in an icing sugar factory when I've made a cake!

FoxSticks Sun 21-Dec-14 09:39:17

I haven't seen that on the lovely sparkly Christmas shows though balloon. I must have missed that episode.

Springlamb, nigella is quite often seen raiding the fridge in her dressing gown so it sounds like you are pretty much there grin

Hatespiders Sun 21-Dec-14 09:40:15

My dh is fascinated by him. He says he talks as if his mouth is full of food. (It probably is!)
I think he's an endearing character. But the last time I watched, he had an entire fillet of beef in front of him and was doing something amazing with it. An entire, long fillet of beef. Our supermarket doesn't even stock beef fillet. That's for Rich People.

ClashCityRocker Sun 21-Dec-14 09:42:38

He gets on my norks.

Especially when he does these 'cheap' meals and you only need a few items from your store-cupboard and goes on to list about ten items that nobody would have in their store cupboard unless they were preparing for a nuclear crisis, or were really really in to cooking.

Plus, he's somewhat on the podgy side himself for someone who bleats on about healthy eating...

fivefoottwowitheyesofblue Sun 21-Dec-14 09:43:59

balloon surely not shock please elaborate.

123Jump Sun 21-Dec-14 09:44:02

I think he is brilliant!

Nomama Sun 21-Dec-14 09:46:53

To be (boringly) fair, he does do books and programmes, charities and fund raising, for all sorts of people.

He isn't stupid, the middle class haute cuisine aspirants will pay a fortune for stuff with his name on... those with less cash will get his ideas for free.... some in need will get training, a career....

Think of him what you will but, despite his personal wealth he does seem to be a reasonably pleasant, altruistic bloke!

I too would like to spend some time in his universe.... maybe I will on Christmas day... just that one day smile

Ubik1 Sun 21-Dec-14 09:47:50

We use his recipes. But I agree it is another world on his TV programme. I loved the school dinners thing but the one about economy cooking when he was buying a entire salmon...you do realise that his world is very different to yours.

Ubik1 Sun 21-Dec-14 09:50:13

Nigella is now parodying herself poncing around Venice. I do like her though.

NewEraNewMindset Sun 21-Dec-14 09:50:46

I too read the article today about him rubbing chilli into an apple to punish his daughter. I did raise my eyebrows but then I also get mighty pissed off with people who don't discipline their kids and let them ruin shopping and eating experiences when I go out.

I like him. We are doing his slow roasted lamb shoulder for Christmas dinner grin

limitedperiodonly Sun 21-Dec-14 09:51:14

He's confessed a shameful secret addiction to the Mail On Sunday today.

Crackhead? Alcoholic? Kitten-drowner?

No, he's a workaholic insomniac.

Because everyone knows that's disgraceful thing to admit to and wouldn't for one moment enhance your reputation as an all-round top bloke. Least of all St Jamie of Oliver.

Cunt.

SirNoel Sun 21-Dec-14 09:52:25

I think he's a plonker but I do believe his heart is in the right place.

And I really like his food

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now