Talk

Advanced search

To ask which mumsnetters will be emigrating next year?

(17 Posts)
Primafacie Sun 21-Dec-14 01:01:04

Seriously (in a light hearted way smile).

The AIBU board is plastered with PILs stories this time of year. Most of which would be avoided if suitable distance was put between the protagonists.

My family is in North America; DH's is in Asia. Christmas this year is just us and the kids. It is so peaceful! I would definitely recommend it to a friend. grin

Yes, emigrating is hard on many levels, but also much easier on others.

So, go on, make your NY resolutions now. Who is emigrating in 2015, and where to?

wobblyweebles Sun 21-Dec-14 04:14:56

I know what you mean. We emigrated 7 years ago and Christmas is so uncomplicated now. Occasionally some in-laws come to stay, but mostly it's just us. We just do whatever we feel like doing.

HicDraconis Sun 21-Dec-14 04:33:24

We did it 5 years ago, to NZ. Back in the UK for Christmas this year for the first time but hoping to bring my new found Kiwi laid back attitude to it in the midst of the in law angst smile

I am already looking forward to Christmas back home next year!

BlueDash Sun 21-Dec-14 05:01:15

I am an immigrant and both my in-laws and parents are on different continents (and different continents to each other). Christmas is low stress and not lonely as we see them at other times of the year. I can recommend it too!

toomuchtooold Sun 21-Dec-14 07:00:59

We emigrated to DH's home country about two weeks ago, but luckily the PILs retired abroad a few years ago so we are still safe!

madchocolatemum48 Sun 21-Dec-14 08:34:39

Totally agree. We have been abroad for 5 years. This year,as always, we will be in pajamas all day, watching movies while the kids play with their toys. No pressure or expectation whatsoever.
Pure bliss really

CaulkheadUpNorth Sun 21-Dec-14 08:39:58

I live 300 miles from mine, but the journey involves a ferry so it feels like I've emigrated.

Are you making a spreadsheet?

bigbluestars Sun 21-Dec-14 08:43:23

Uncomplicated, but shit for those left behind. Like a death in the family. Glad you find it bliss.

Bowlersarm Sun 21-Dec-14 08:46:27

I love the idea of emigrating but we've missed the boat on that one, too old.

What I'm hoping for is that my teen DSes will each end up in a different country so dh and I can spend our retirement visiting them all. We'll have a lovely time floating around the world; the (theoretical) dils won't hate us because we don't live on their doorstep and our Dgc will idolise us because they only see us at certain times of the year and we spoil them. Oh yes, I have it all planned out.

<in the real world, the DSes will never move further away than the home counties like DH and I confused fgrin>

Bowlersarm Sun 21-Dec-14 08:47:19

Ouch, bigbluestars.

PossumPoo Sun 21-Dec-14 09:28:22

bigblue a bit dramatic isnt, because emigration doesn't = death hmm

can understand perhaps why your family emigrated

Primafacie Sun 21-Dec-14 09:33:14

Bigblue confused

Alligatorpie Sun 21-Dec-14 09:33:36

We've been overseas for 4 years and on different continents to both our parents, and this is the last time we will come home for Xmas. Yesterday we travelled for 28 hours to get to my dm's, I am wide awake with 2 year old dd2 and it is 1:30 am.
Next year we are going someone hot and in a similar time zone. Can't wait!

NightFallsFast Sun 21-Dec-14 09:50:25

Like a death in the family?

May be if that person has chosen to cut off all contact (which they could do with or without emigrating) it could feel like that.

However lots of us who have emigrated keep regular contact with our families. I visit 2-3 times a year and am in at least twice weekly contact with my family.

BlinkAndMiss Sun 21-Dec-14 09:50:25

I think it's quite sad that so many people enjoy being away from their families at Christmas. It's a shame that so many families are full of PITAs who drive others away but also sad that it's the people who haven't done anything wrong miss out. It can't be easy, I do understand what Bigblue is saying.

PossumPoo Sun 21-Dec-14 10:06:18

Exactly night, l speak to my DM far more every week because of the time difference its more convenient for both if us.

blink it's not a case of people doing anything wrong or right though, emigration isn't about punishing those left behind. Why would you even think that?

LadyCassandra Sun 21-Dec-14 10:16:33

We have family all over the UK and DH used to work in an industry that had only 2 days off over Christmas. Both of our families would demand to see us during those two days and we would spend most of our time on the motorway. Christmas here for us is uncomplicated, undemanding and guilt free (to a point!). We do exactly what works for us as a family unit. Its sad that we are far away from our families, and we do miss them, but living here is better for our family all year round, not just at Christmas.
This story may out me! We once drove at midnight Xmas Eve to DHs family, spent Xmas Lunch with them, then drove 3 hours in the snow that afternoon to arrive at my family, with huge bags of presents, to be SHUSSSSSHED at the door because we interrupted Eastenders! shock angry

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now