Talk

Advanced search

To want to burst into tears.....

(18 Posts)
Panicmode1 Sat 20-Dec-14 16:57:05

My four children, my husband and myself have had a flu ridden house since a week last Wednesday.....I have been nursing children for 10 days and my husband and myself for the past 3......the last child only went down with it on Friday so that's probably another 3 days.

I have missed two nativities, 3 Christmas parties, had to postpone seeing my family until the new year and I am shattered and just want to burst into tears that the Christmas hols have been ruined.....

AIBU or just totally self indulgent?

JoanHickson Sat 20-Dec-14 16:58:57

As someone recovering with a flu ridden house I feel your pain. Have a nice hot lemon and honey.

PonderousTortoise Sat 20-Dec-14 17:00:07

Of course yanbu. Have a good cry, then a brew. So tough when you are doing all the looking after, and it is sad to miss planned things

Hope you're feeling better by Xmas to enjoy the day itself

Rivercam Sat 20-Dec-14 17:02:43

Hope you are all on the road to recovery, and no, you are not being self-indulgent. We have all been poorly as well, and have only just got around to,putting some decorations up!

The christmas holidays have only just began. There's still plenty of time to have family fun

Gawjushun Sat 20-Dec-14 17:06:23

Poor things. I've also had the flu followed by a shitty chest infection, so all my sympathies go to you. Hopefully you'll be able to enjoy the period between Xmas and the new year. Maybe plan something special for mid January to make up for it?

honeyistoosweet Sat 20-Dec-14 17:07:10

I am a single mum to a 2 year old DS. He has had it, I am currently lying in bed fever 103. Nightmare. He missed his first nursery Christmas nativity and his Santa Claus visit. I've missed my one and only night out. I feel miserable as sin! We've done nothing, seen no one and I have not a single other person to bitch to ;) So absolutely YANBU

Panicmode1 Sat 20-Dec-14 17:10:14

Thank you everyone and sorry to hear everyone else has been ill too. Wishing everyone back to health for Christmas!

We are actually collecting our new puppy on New Years Eve, so 2015 will start in a rather (hectic) but exciting manner!

machair Sat 20-Dec-14 17:10:55

Definitely yanbu. These things happen, not worth beating yourself up over it. Hope you will all be better by Christmas

Andrewofgg Sat 20-Dec-14 18:10:14

Put a whisky in the hot lemon and honey. In fact why bother with the lemon and the honey?

londonrach Sat 20-Dec-14 18:19:14

Like andrew. Try some buttercup syrup. Hot honey and lemon and as much sleep as you get can. Try and clean your telephone, door handles and light switches to stop you coming down again with it. Get well soon. Xxxxx

frankie001 Sat 20-Dec-14 19:48:40

Know the feeling, have missed 3 parties, one of which is going on right now.

Bailey101 Sat 20-Dec-14 20:28:32

That sounds horrific. I've had flu twice, and I was so ill I could barely move let alone look after sick children! If anyone gets to feel sorry for themselves it's you and your dh. I hope you feel better in time for Christmas and getting your new puppy smile

greenfolder Sat 20-Dec-14 20:43:02

its not Christmas yet though. Last year i had unexpected surgery and had to miss a shed load; gave away panto tickets, missed little ones nativity, the first christmas party at work for years etc etc. i did feel a bit miserable and sorry for myself.

however, it was a lovely actual christmas.

CombineBananaFister Sat 20-Dec-14 20:47:14

I don't think YABU. It's not unreasonable to hope for a lovely xmas with a few small pleasures (Nativity/santa visit/healthy children) it's not like you're having a meltdown because your 'perfect unrealistic' xmas has been spoiled.

Try not to put too much emphasis on iy though and make the the best of it when you're all better - a new puppy does sound exciting and there's time to have a fab time yet grin

Footlight Sat 20-Dec-14 20:48:41

yanbu. kids have had it here and I am force feeding myself and dh with onions, garlic, ginger and manuka honey to try to stave it off. I just know I'm going to go down with it on xmas eve.

You still have four days to get over it though, flowers and mulled wine for you.

Blanketontheground Sat 20-Dec-14 20:53:45

Our house has been the same and I swear I've never felt so bloody miserable. I can't wait for the day I feel well again. The only positive is I've hardly ate a thing over the past week so I will fit into my black dress (I'll be wearing it to bed mind as that's the only place I'm fit for). Get well soon.

Happyringo Sat 20-Dec-14 20:55:10

We've had norovirus here, first DD1 then DD2 then me then DH. We've all been terrible and the house has been littered with various vomit splattered towels and bedding and the only loo has been in constant demand. I've had to phone in sick to work and as I'm agency I won't get paid. It's been a hellish week! Finally coming out of the other side now...oh and it's my birthday tomorrow, which I've just postponed! So you are definitely NBU! Hope you're all better soon!

ghostyslovesheep Sat 20-Dec-14 20:59:49

yep puke here as well - DD2 missed her last ever Nativity which she was distraught about

cry - then have a warm bath and some wine

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now