Talk

Advanced search

Excuse me *please*

(43 Posts)
Lurkingintheshadows Sat 20-Dec-14 14:38:48

AIBU to find it rude when people just say "excuse me" without adding a "please" on the end? I am hearing it so much now, and I just find it rude.

ticktactoegivemeago Sat 20-Dec-14 14:52:48

Depends, everyday I get off the bus as the same people stand in my way. It's hard to be polite when they don't want to move. I have a buggy with a very nearly 1 year old in and I'm 8 months pregnant so I do actually need them to move rather than shuffle over a bit. By the end of the week I forget to be so polite.

MildDrPepperAddiction Sat 20-Dec-14 15:03:22

It's better than them just shoving past you and saying nothing.

Trills Sat 20-Dec-14 15:05:09

YABU.

"Excuse me" is a polite request in itself.

WeAllHaveWings Sat 20-Dec-14 15:06:52

I must be rude then. I generally say excuse me and then thank you afterwards. I do think excuse me is enough and certainly isn't rude!

Nancy66 Sat 20-Dec-14 15:07:08

I think in MN world you're probably then expected to follow it up with a thank you note - hand written, not typed.

PurpleSwift Sat 20-Dec-14 15:10:04

I thought "excuse me" was polite in itself? A polite way of saying "move" or "get out of my way".

Fluffyears Sat 20-Dec-14 15:10:20

Why should I plead with idiots to get out my way. 'Excuse me' is polite enough x

LongDistanceLove Sat 20-Dec-14 15:12:58

Excuse me is polite. Better than Oi, or move, or get out of my fucking way.

YABU

ArsenicStew Sat 20-Dec-14 15:13:20

Agree with PPs - "excuse me" is perfectly polite.

mrspottasbubble Sat 20-Dec-14 15:14:07

Excuse me please sounds wrong

avocadotoast Sat 20-Dec-14 15:14:20

I tend to go for an "excuse me please" and then "EXCUSE ME" really loud if people don't shift. I think usually it's only the second they hear. I don't see it as rude wink

helenthemadex Sat 20-Dec-14 15:16:43

excuse me is polite enough, I usually follow with thank you when they have moved

CleverPlansAndSecretTricks Sat 20-Dec-14 15:18:01

grin Nancy

I always thought it was polite in itself. I think it's more about the tone of voice. A gentle friendly "excuse me" is much better than a clipped abrupt how dare you be in my way "excuse me please".

Last summer I said a very polite gentle "excuse me" to a couple standing like a pair of lemons in the middle of a tiny cafe in edinburgh, and the woman gave me a death stare and said "please!" I thought that was shockingly rude.

molyholy Sat 20-Dec-14 15:18:26

Nancy66
Just had a lol at your comment

BalloonSlayer Sat 20-Dec-14 15:21:40

I always think "excuse me" means "so sorry for inconveniencing you but I need to get past." and "excuse me please" means "how fucking dare you be in my way - but I am determined to be polite about it."

confused

I guess I must somehow think that if you feel you need to add the please on the end of what is quite a meek request anyway you are being really PA.

FryOneFatManic Sat 20-Dec-14 15:29:48

My mum has always insisted that "Excuse me" is the polite request, there's no need to add "please"

LegoSuperstar Sat 20-Dec-14 15:34:33

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

fuzzywuzzy Sat 20-Dec-14 15:37:37

I remember getting this, was early pregnant and suffering godawful sickness.
One morning I had to jump off the bus urgently as I was about to throw up. Gasped 'excuse me' through gritted teeth most people moved except for one woman who said 'excuse me PLEASE', by that point I had to absolutely throw up and managed to mercifully get off the bus.

Ever since I think people who want to add a 'please' after excuse me are idiots.

HeraldAngelSinging Sat 20-Dec-14 15:42:07

If you ask for something, one should say, "Please" as well. Your "Excuse me" is a request - you are asking - for someone to move (in this particular scenario) so should be followed by a 'please' and a naice 'thank you' when you have received it.

Lurkingintheshadows Sat 20-Dec-14 15:44:48

Maybe it isn't rude. I don't want to think people are being rude, but I can't help mentally putting a 'please' on the end. Just rounds it off nicely I guess.

Littleturkish Sat 20-Dec-14 15:49:16

I say "sorry, excuse me"

To add please would be a bit much.

I would sound like I was taking the piss.

HappenstanceMarmite Sat 20-Dec-14 15:50:37

excuse me is polite enough, I usually follow with thank you when they have moved

^^ followed by a sincere "thank you" once they have made way.

What I bloody hate Is when someone just stands very closely and/or makes little quiet grunty inconvenienced noises under their breath. This will elicit my advising educating them that "a simple polite "excuse me" works like magic" hmm

Moreisnnogedag Sat 20-Dec-14 15:51:19

as balloon says, adding a please at the end turns it into "fucking get out of the way" rather than "could you move over a tad".

Tinks42 Sat 20-Dec-14 15:52:03

YABU, its fine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now