Talk

Advanced search

How to raise "toilets not cleaned properly"?

(143 Posts)
QTPie Fri 19-Dec-14 23:17:54

Hi

We have a good cleaner (well two people - they work as a team). They do a great job, generally, and am very happy. We have a large house and it is very well dusted and hoovered. The floors, sinks, baths and counters are clean.

HOWEVER, they don't seem "completely thorough" with the toilets (we have 4). Thought this, so have been very carefully monitoring it.

Basically, when I clean a toilet, you could probably lick it afterwards (not that you would want to, but you get the picture...).

The toilets are not "dirty" when the cleaners come: I don't clean them before the cleaners come, but I do wipe/bleach anything "obvious" (if that makes sense). However I would like the "non obvious" things completely obliterated by the cleaners.

This is terribly "English", but how on earth do I raise "please clean the toilets properly"?? I can raise other things, but feel really awkward raising the toilets... sad

Thanks

Clearlymisunderstood Fri 19-Dec-14 23:19:06

What do you mean by non obvious things? I'm not being facetious I just can't quite grasp what you mean

Tallypet Fri 19-Dec-14 23:19:47

Wh are they not doing correctly?

WitchWay Fri 19-Dec-14 23:19:56

I had a similar problem & when I mentioned it they said they weren't allowed to do more than squirt cleaner round the loo "because of health & safety" confused

PortofinoVino Fri 19-Dec-14 23:21:12

However I would like the "non obvious" things completely obliterated by the cleaners.

Ummmm, sorry but what are 'non obvious' things? confused

Stealthpolarbear Fri 19-Dec-14 23:21:40

Resume they're just chucking bleach down rather than scrubbing flush, lid, seat, toilet itself all the way down to where it meets the floor

Bulbasaur Fri 19-Dec-14 23:24:39

Just.. tell them?

"Hey, you guys do a fantastic job cleaning our house and we love having you work for us. One thing that sticks out at me though is you don't clean the toilets very well. Can you please scrub them better so all the grime is off? Thanks!"

Simple and direct.

No need to dance around it. You're paying them and everyone needs to be on the same page about what's expected. Then if they have issue with it you can talk about it.

pippahooper Fri 19-Dec-14 23:30:07

I'd perhaps demonstrate how you would like them to be cleaned x

Saz12 Fri 19-Dec-14 23:30:13

Agree with Bulbasaur. If they've a problem with cleaning the toilet then at least you can sort that out directly.
They probably do big smelly ploppy poo's, too, so it's not more embarrassing than any other part of the house.

SconeRhymesWithGone Fri 19-Dec-14 23:31:34

What exactly do you mean? A former cleaner of mine told me about another client she had who made her remove all the toilet seats and soak them in bleach water.

southeastastra Fri 19-Dec-14 23:32:57

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

QTPie Fri 19-Dec-14 23:38:15

"Non obvious things" equals things like a hair in the bowl, a spec of toilet paper under the seat, general grime on the pedestal (talking months build up), lid not being shiny. Had a visitor last weekend, there was still a few specs in the guest loo bowl after the cleaners had been (toilet wasn't "dirty" before they cleaned, but wasn't completely absolutely spotless).

Ok, being incredibly british, I pretty much feel that I should spotlessly scrub all the toilets BEFORE the cleaners come here, but that sort of misses the point.

Cleaners aren't agency - own business.

I don't think that the toilets are being forgotten (sometimes I am here as they start cleaning), just that they do only "squirt and wipe round" rather than "check everything is thoroughly clean".

pippahooper Fri 19-Dec-14 23:42:04

You say you have a large house. How long do you give them to clean? Maybe they are rushing it? x

nilbyname Fri 19-Dec-14 23:43:53

Just tell team-

This is how I wish the lavatory to be cleaned and give it to thema step by step.
I get you, my loo is spotless and gleaming and the idea of a quick swipe with a cloth makes me feel ill!

QTPie Fri 19-Dec-14 23:44:16

Scone, no, that is my MIL :D (but she is from a different culture and has servants). If I clean the toilets, I thoroughly clean all surfaces (including the pedestal) with detol and would bleach and use a brush on the bowl (including getting up the rim on the overhang bit (if that makes sense)).

Southeastastra, assume you don't have a cleaner? Absolutely NOT skanky at all: if you knew me and my house, you would realise that. But fortunately I don't know you.

SorchaN Fri 19-Dec-14 23:45:38

Most people who work to provide a service would prefer constructive criticism to seething resentment. Just demonstrate how you like it done!

Aeroflotgirl Fri 19-Dec-14 23:46:08

South that's what cleaners are meant to do! Op obviously cleans the loos if they have poo on, or are obviously skanky

sleepyhead Fri 19-Dec-14 23:49:37

I don't think that's fussy. I'm by no means a houseproud person but that's the way I'd expect a toilet to be cleaned.

You need to tell them exactly what you want though.

pippahooper Fri 19-Dec-14 23:49:41

Are your cleaner's men? lol

mausmaus Fri 19-Dec-14 23:49:43

eurgh I had a cleaner like that in a previous life she was a great cleaner in all other aspects but cleaning the loo for her was just emptying a bottle of bleach down the pan.
it took me a while to discover the origin of The Stink urine crystals under the seat
I then asked her to concentrate on the rest of the house and not to bother with the toilets at all.

Bettercallsaul1 Fri 19-Dec-14 23:52:23

Ah, good - another cleaner thread. Another chance for MN's with "a large house" and four toilets to complain that things aren't really up to scratch. How best to convey this to the hired skivvy... ? Hmm - tough one.

QTPie Fri 19-Dec-14 23:52:56

Pippa. They do it in 4 man hours (we only generally use two bedrooms, 2 bathrooms - so the others aren't generally cleaned). I have always made it clear that if they need extra time, to take it: I want the job doing well and am happy to pay.

I would say that the toilets are about 95% clean BEFORE the cleaners come: if I was a visitor to the house, I wouldn't blink (the toilets look clean to the casual eye). Just because I regularly keep an eye after the cleaners have been, I know that the toilets have not been completely thoroughly cleaned. If that makes sense.

Yes, I am being a wuss. I should "woman up" I think.

sleepyhead Fri 19-Dec-14 23:55:40

Oh get over yourself. I've never had a cleaner in my life (although I've been a cleaner - I liked cleaning big houses actually. Much nicer than offices), but if I did employ someone to clean my house I'd want the toilets done properly, otherwise what's the point hmm

pippahooper Fri 19-Dec-14 23:57:55

Why do some people on Mumsnet get so bitchy?

QTPie Sat 20-Dec-14 00:00:51

Pippa, funny you should say that! One is a man and one is a woman (mother and son!).

Definitely no seething resentment, just a bit of frustration: especially since they are generally very good.

Bettercallsaul, "hired skivvy"??? Er, no, "well respected employees". If they were hired skivvies, then I would have no qualms about yelling my demands and getting them to clean up whatever. I am one of those people who tidies the house before the cleaner comes (as well as ensuring "nothing nasty" in the toilets or anywhere else). I have massive respect for my cleaners. Which is why this AIBU is tough for me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now