Talk

Advanced search

To be annoyed paying childminder over Christmas?

(165 Posts)
oinkyoink Fri 19-Dec-14 20:43:13

We have had a childminder (it's a mum in her 60s and 30ish year old daughter who work together) for the two kids since September. She collects my son at 11.30 from nursery and my daughter at 3 from school. She doesn't provide any food which is fine... She's not exactly a quality childminder or one that you rave about and say things like she's worth her weight in gold etc. I don't mean it in a nasty way, I am just aware that she never takes my son out and puts the TV a lot! When I first met the two of them I said I was interested in term time only. The mum had popped out for a second and the daughter said yes that is absolutely fine. When the mum came back I mentioned it again and she said oh no that's not possible at all, we are a business and we want 100% pay all year round whatever the issue. She gets 4 weeks holiday included. I was taken aback as the daughter had just said term time only was fine... Anyway because we had no other minders who could do what we needed we went with them. Now it's come to Xmas and we are having two weeks off and they are having 1.5 weeks off. I have to pay them £240 per week for the two weeks we are away and it's really irritating me. A nanny would cost me a bit more but we would get such better value out of her (doing cooking kids laundry etc) so what do I do? Is it normal a minder charges so much?

There have been a couple of incidences too. My son told me they went to a cafe one day, he asked her for a drink and a muffin and she said no no yet she sat there and had a coffee. I brought this up with her and she was highly embarrassed and the next day she had him in a cafe sending me photos of him with a big muffin etc etc (too late- my son already got the idea what he means to her) he asks her to play with play doh or paint and she says no they can't as one of her nieces has taken the paint (white lies) or play doh. It's not acceptable. It's very clear they are in the business just for the money. I didn't sign the contract she have me at the start, it's still lying on the microwave... I think if I were really happy with them id pay however they really aren't amazing in any way and the little incidences have really bugged me. Thoughts appreciated...

KingJoffreysHasABigWhiteBeard Fri 19-Dec-14 20:46:11

I wouldn't pay for the times you're not using her.

That doesn't make sense...

Nothavingfunrightnow Fri 19-Dec-14 20:47:18

Yabu to leave your children with them! Find alternate childcare.

HippyPottyMouth Fri 19-Dec-14 20:48:20

Paying for holiday is standard, if frustrating. We pay 100% for time we take off, and 50% for time the CM takes off. I don't think she charged us for the day she was ill. It doesn't sound as if she's offering great care though, so on that side of things I'd be looking at other options.

Purpleflamingos Fri 19-Dec-14 20:48:50

Find someone else as your children mean nothing to them. Even if it's 'just a business' they have their role to play in the business, and that is playing with your children, doing arts and crafts, taking them to the park etc.

ghostyslovesheep Fri 19-Dec-14 20:48:59

so find another CM and read the contract carefully?

I always check the holiday pay/paying, sickness fees etc carefully

I wouldn't pay for times I am not there - my last childminder I paid half fees but for the one I have now I pay nothing for holidays

DoubleValiumLattePlease Fri 19-Dec-14 20:49:11

They're having you over I'm afraid - and probably laughing all day long at their luck in landing a sucker. Are they really your only alternative? Doesn't sound to me like they're doing your children any good either.

FoodieToo Fri 19-Dec-14 20:49:49

Why on earth wouldn't you find a different child minder that you are happy with?
I wouldn't be happy with what you depict at all.

However , I believe many child minders expect to be paid for holidays . I think it's a bit much to be honest , a few weeks holiday should be enough.

Expedititition Fri 19-Dec-14 20:49:55

And you leave your child with her because?

fatterface Fri 19-Dec-14 20:50:25

It doesn't matter that you haven't signed the contract, you are using her services so have agreed to the terms.

If you didn't want to pay for her holiday, then you either negotiate before starting or find a childminder who doesn't charge for their holiday.

2tired2bewitty Fri 19-Dec-14 20:50:36

Are they even ofsted registered and in possession of relevant insurance and first aid qualifications?

WhyYouGottaBeSoRude Fri 19-Dec-14 20:51:51

Well she's a crap childminder but you did sign a contract regarding fees so no point getting annoyed with something you already agreed to. I would give notice in the new year.

WhyYouGottaBeSoRude Fri 19-Dec-14 20:53:30

Ah i misread that as you had signed the contract.

Tbh you had fair warning she was crap and still went ahead with using her.

wanttosqueezeyou Fri 19-Dec-14 20:54:33

Find an alternative.

You agreed to the terms and stuck with them even though they sound awful which makes you Unreasonable.

DurhamDurham Fri 19-Dec-14 20:55:16

Whatever happens with regards to holiday pay you need to find a childminder you are happy with. What sort of a person sits in a cafe having a drink and doesn't get something for the child they are looking after? ( or at least takes a breaker of drink and a biscuit from home)

WhyYouGottaBeSoRude Fri 19-Dec-14 20:56:42

Childminders get paid for their holidays whether you pay continuously every week or whether they dont charge for holidays but factor it into their overall fees. If they werent charging for them they couldnt take them and they'd burn out. Not what you want for the people looking after you children is it?

ArthurSHappeyChristmas Fri 19-Dec-14 20:57:12

Why on earth are you leaving your children with her... She doesn't sound nice at all.
Having said that if you agreed to her terms you must pay her over Christmas.

GothMummy Fri 19-Dec-14 20:57:14

I have paid holiday in my job so i expect to pay my childminder for her sick days/holidays.
But i would not be happy with the level of care yours are getting! Change childcare provision if you are not happy, I would! My daughters CM is like a granny to my daughter and a friends to me.

glentherednosedbattleostrich Fri 19-Dec-14 20:57:19

You agreed the fees so its not really on to complain now.

I would however be looking for someone else. As a childminder I have days when I don't fancy painting or play doh or whatever (and quite frankly I'd I never see another train it'll be too soon) but I am child led so we do these activities. And I would never go to a cafe and not get the child a drink and snack, that is awful.

ImperialBlether Fri 19-Dec-14 20:59:03

The kind of woman who can sit in a café and have a drink without giving one to a little boy who is clearly thirsty and hungry isn't the sort of woman who should be looking after children.

I'd set OFSTED onto them and look around immediately for someone else.

NeedsAsockamnesty Fri 19-Dec-14 21:01:20

I've had one like this expected 100% of the fees no matter what had a 49% sickness/absence rate so I changed to a different one now I pay for my absence not hers.

TooHasty Fri 19-Dec-14 21:02:34

You agreed to it before they started with her.You can't just welch on it now!!

FindoGask Fri 19-Dec-14 21:04:35

I think you should find another childminder; I wouldn't be happy leaving a child of mine there. It sounds like they really don't give a toss about the children in their care other than as a source of income.

oinkyoink Fri 19-Dec-14 21:04:41

Yes I can see all your points. I think what is getting me is hear incidences. If they hadn't occurred, if be like bummer what a pain but I'd pay - when I agreed to the t&c's I didn't know these things would happen... Unbelievable she left my son sitting there without a thing - if you're stingey then bring something from home for him. It was really good he told me - she obviously underestimated the memory of a 3.5 year old but I found it hurtful as the look on his face when he told me... We are looking for a nanny now however it takes time. Guess I'll have to pay it fangry -

I would adore having a minder who genuinely likes my kids as our family are abroad... They could do with a relationship like that. Onwards and upwards....

greenbananas Fri 19-Dec-14 21:06:41

like Glen the Ostrich (great name! ) I'm a childminder.

paying over Christmas is standard stuff, so yabu about that - BUT I still think you should get rid and have a nanny or find a different childminder. even the thought of not giving a child a drink and bun in a cafe makes me sad. and messy play is part of the job! yes, there are days when I can't raise much genuine internal enthusiasm for getting the paints out, but we either do it anyway or I find something less messy that the children are equally happy with.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now