Talk

Advanced search

Aibu to want to wear this ring now

(99 Posts)
Babiecakes11 Fri 19-Dec-14 19:38:23

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

radiobedhead Fri 19-Dec-14 19:43:07

Why are you both waiting for a proposal? You want to get married, so be engaged as of now and then plan the wedding.

Glittery7 Fri 19-Dec-14 19:43:51

I'm confused. You're not engaged but he bought you a ring, presumably to wear. Wear it on your right finger.

Fluffyears Fri 19-Dec-14 19:44:04

I think he'll wait till baby is born but you are pretty much engaged just without the ring. Congratulations.

CaptainAnkles Fri 19-Dec-14 19:45:06

If you already know you're going to eventually get married, and have a ring, aren't you already engaged? Is the big asking moment really that important?

RJnomore Fri 19-Dec-14 19:46:25

So you have two kids, a home etc toghether, you know there is a ring and you intend to get married but he's messing about regarding actually committing?

He's not old fashioned. Trust me.

I just don't get why anyone would a) think there was any romance in this and b)put up with it! There's no surprise - its more a form of slow torture for you really.

Anyway I'm an old misery guys I guess and I do hope he pulls his finger out and actually asks you before you combust ŵith excitement and that you both have a long and happy life together. And no YANBU.

youareallbonkers Fri 19-Dec-14 19:46:44

You can't get engaged as a thing on its oen. You get engaged to be married so if you have agreed to get married then you are engaged.

SanityClause Fri 19-Dec-14 19:46:55

You know, you don't gave to wait until he asks. It's perfectly fine for you to just talk to him about it like, you know, equals.

Bearbehind Fri 19-Dec-14 19:48:10

How can it possibly be a surprise if you know he's got the ring and you know he's going to ask in the next 6 months? hmm

Just get it on your finger and tell people you're engaged.

Babiecakes11 Fri 19-Dec-14 19:48:25

Thisismyfirsttime Fri 19-Dec-14 19:51:13

I'd tell him how I felt about it, that I was so excited and it felt like the next chapter with the new baby on the way and that although I knew he wanted to do a surprise and special proposal I wanted it to be soon because I loved the ring and wanted it to happen. He has plenty of opportunity very soon with Christmas/ New Year coming up and personally I wouldn't want to be hanging around! Be careful not to ruin any plans he might have to do it over that time though, I'd be sounding him out first! Congratulations!

Babiecakes11 Fri 19-Dec-14 19:54:34

SanityClause Fri 19-Dec-14 19:54:37

I just asked DD1 (15) and DD2 (13) if they would be interested in their parents' proposal story, and they said they would find the story "mildly interesting at best".

Babiecakes11 Fri 19-Dec-14 19:58:42

CattyCatCat Fri 19-Dec-14 20:08:15

Agree he needs to give you the ring. Tell him you would like it on Christmas Day. That would be a nice proposal, especially if it is a white Christmas.

Babiecakes11 Fri 19-Dec-14 20:12:55

misskangaandroo2014 Fri 19-Dec-14 20:16:25

He sounds more invested in an impressive story than the promise of commitment. Is he a writer? Fame hungry?

Andcake Fri 19-Dec-14 20:20:04

What a ridiculous situation...
Tell him how you feel.
A proposal when you've planned so much of the wedding, have the ring etc is just so fake a total piece of theatre to boost his own ego when he tells people in future how he did it. A nice anecdote at best.
The kids and stuff are irrelevant as I've known people genuinely surprised by a proposal after even 20 years together. But it won't be a surprise it's not a proposal when you first agreed you would get married that was more like it. Many couples even just discuss it and the announce their engaged.

Marylou2 Fri 19-Dec-14 20:27:47

Christmas Eve! I bet it is. He'll ask then and you'll announce it over the holidays to friends and family. I'm really quite excited which is odd as I don't know either of you.smile .

WhyTheFace Fri 19-Dec-14 20:30:38

Jesus, people can be unnecessarily bitchy snippy. Talk about pissing on the OP's chips.

Did you try the ring on OP?

TheIronGnome Fri 19-Dec-14 20:32:48

Oh it think it's nice! He just wants a romantic moment- what's wrong with that?! You haven't had a ring up till now, you can 'wait' a bit longer. This is clearly an important thing to him.

greenbananas Fri 19-Dec-14 20:33:41

congratulations on your engagement smile

Babiecakes11 Fri 19-Dec-14 20:38:42

VanitasVanitatum Fri 19-Dec-14 20:39:29

Well I think it's nice that he wants to do something nice! I definitely wouldn't piss on his parade by demanding the ring on a certain day like some people are suggesting! If it's something he's excited about and you love him then of course you should wait (as you obviously will) as long as it's happened in the next year that is!!

nottheOP Fri 19-Dec-14 20:42:10

Just place marking for the proposal on Thursday

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now