Talk

Advanced search

To not rush out for an unplanned gift?

(3 Posts)
LittleMissRayofHope Fri 19-Dec-14 18:09:51

For the past few years my siblings and I have only done gifts for the kids, our parents and for any sibling who doesn't have kids. But we have cut out each other as it was getting expensive, difficult and a little bit grabby.

I've just found out (inadvertently) that my DB & SIL have bought everyone gifts this year.
Further background Is that it was this particular SIL who instigated the kids only rule.
I have no time Togo shopping, no clue what I would get them anyway and no money budgeted for this.
I always give a token gift of homemade eatables anyway.
I feel a little mean.

I could take the view that if I hadn't known in advance I wouldn't have the chance to reciprocate.

honeysucklejasmine Fri 19-Dec-14 18:11:36

Rules is rules. If they want to get you stuff, great, but its not required that you reciprocate.

Alibabaandthe40nappies Fri 19-Dec-14 18:12:03

Well if you have a no gifts rule, but have always been giving a gift anyway then perhaps this is just them thinking 'bloody hell we've had enough of the rule being ignored, lets just buy something for everyone so we don't feel like idiots again'.

They are reciprocating. Just do the eatables as you always do.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now