Talk

Advanced search

Xmas Cards ...with treats?

(20 Posts)
freshtrax Fri 19-Dec-14 15:10:49

I've noticed a trend appearing in the homecoming school bag this year, Xmas Cards that also contain some kind of sweet treat, I really hope this doesn't turn into a new "Party-Bag" style epidemic whereby everyone feels they have to partake.
I confess to being a bit of an Ebeneezer and now send Xmas cards by email so that I may lessen my carbon footprint to a small degree, I do however think there is some value in kids that are learning to write, doing what is effectiviley "lines" but in a card and "taking" them to classmates. I really don't want to be giving, or recieving, chocolate and candy in kids Xmas cards though...

TheWordFactory Fri 19-Dec-14 15:13:30

It's not new.

My DC recieved cards with chocolate coins cellotaped in at primary school and they're taking their GCSEs in Summer.

Is it really a big deal?

Purpleflamingos Fri 19-Dec-14 15:15:43

Oooo, we have had a few. With chocolate coins stuck inside. Is it a vying for popularity thing? Thankfully we are always the first to write and send cards so there's none of the competitiveness that goes on, and whilst I can still be in charge, everyone in the class gets one. I seem to have missed a few though as dc have been getting lots of cards from older children in school that I had no idea they knew (I don't even know these children!).

ErrolTheDragon Fri 19-Dec-14 15:17:28

It's not new - some people like to do it but it's not a rule. If you want to be 'Bah no humbug' that's up to you.

brererabbit Fri 19-Dec-14 15:34:55

This is what would really piss me off if it was a primary school. Lots of kids have ana reactions to milk. You can't just hand chocolate around to kids?

Mouldypineapple Fri 19-Dec-14 15:37:11

My dd is 5 and put chocolate coins in the cards of her closest friends, and the teachers. I thought it was lovely!

brererabbit Fri 19-Dec-14 15:38:46

I'd be so cross if my dc was given a card with one in especially if it was only a reception class. Who's there to stop them opening and eating it.

LifeIsBetterInFlipFlops Fri 19-Dec-14 15:41:17

It wouldn't worry me, I'd think it was a nice gesture and not give it another thought.

usualsuspect333 Fri 19-Dec-14 15:42:28

Good grief, it's a tiny bit of chocolate.

YABU

pookamoo Fri 19-Dec-14 15:43:20

We gave out sweets today, well these, to be specific!

DD & I had fun putting them together, and she gave them out instead of cards. They were saved until the very end of the day, and the teacher handed them out as they left the building to their parents.

pookamoo Fri 19-Dec-14 15:44:32

DD is year 1, and they were in the teachers' full knowledge - any intolerances would have been taken into account, but as far as I am aware (and I know the children) there are none in DD's class.

brererabbit Fri 19-Dec-14 16:22:34

Yes handed to the teacher and if you know the kids is brilliant! It's the thought of the coins in the cards given to kids that makes me confused , Some schools/ parents dont give thought for things like that unless you have a young kid that would need hospitalising if they cot their hands on one I guess why would you. It's not uncommon at all though. Going via teacher to parents is a lovely gesture.
Very sweet for the kids to do for friends.

formerbabe Fri 19-Dec-14 16:24:03

I think its sweet but I don't do it in case some children have allergies... Sometimes I put sheets of stickers in the cards instead.

DuchessofBuffonia Fri 19-Dec-14 16:29:43

I'm guessing that this is a primary issue. I've given sweets/chocolates with my cards to my secondary form kids for years with no issues (if they're allergic/don't want them then they give to a friend). I've given Christmas decorations in my cards to my team this year too.

hippo123 Fri 19-Dec-14 17:10:55

Why would you be cross brererabbit?

ErrolTheDragon Fri 19-Dec-14 17:42:27

hippo, its obvious from the thread she's concerned about allergies. This is a real consideration with small kids who may not realise that something contains milk or nuts, and a single sweet wouldn't have warnings. (Vegetarians and Muslim parents mightn't be happy if you put in sweets with gelatine either). It's one of those things - 'its the thought that counts' but therefore you should actually think about whether this nice, well meaning gesture could be problematic.

farewellfigure Fri 19-Dec-14 17:59:53

My ds did all his cards before I woke up the other day and had neatly sealed a polo into each one. I was a bit shock but let it go. Polos are his 'thing'. I didn't even think about allergies and now I feel bad. I don't think I'd want it to be the norm! He didn't receive any with sweets in return. Dammit now he's going to be known as the child who started all the madness hmm

ErrolTheDragon Fri 19-Dec-14 18:06:19

I would think polos are one of the safest options.

Hulababy Fri 19-Dec-14 18:11:08

One or two children in my class have done it this year - and tbh it isn't new - have known one or two most years to do so.

All the children n our school know they are not allowed to eat sweets/chocolate in class and that they have to take it out at hometime to ask a grown up first - they all do with no problems, even in foundation/reception.

MummyPig24 Fri 19-Dec-14 18:44:56

The cards with candy canes or chocolate coins taped to them have been from the dcs teachers.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now