Talk

Advanced search

to put the Christmas tree in the hall at night

(14 Posts)
iamthedivergentbuddytheelf Fri 19-Dec-14 07:31:31

DH thinks so.

Every single morning since we out it up on 5th December the cats have completely annihilated the tree as cats tend to do hmm I don't know how but they're knocking the branches clean off too so it needs a complete rebuild when I get time so I want to put it in the hall at night; daytime isn't an issue aswe are on holiday now so will be in the house most of the time now until it gets taken down.

I need to move it for my own sanity -
AIBU?

WonkoTheSane42 Fri 19-Dec-14 07:38:12

Couldn't you just close the door at night so the cats aren't in the living room?

ThinkIveBeenHacked Fri 19-Dec-14 07:38:45

No way would I be dragging a tree round daily so id either (1) have it in the hall permanently or (2) shut the cats out of the lounge at night.

Ive heard cats dont like tea tree oil - maybe chuck a load of that over it to deter them?

iamthedivergentbuddytheelf Fri 19-Dec-14 07:45:59

cats don't get upstairs at night so locking them out of living room would mean locling them in the fairly small kitchen which I don't want to do confused

Theboodythatrocked Fri 19-Dec-14 07:48:17

Have them in bed with you. That's what we do.

Can't you just lock the living room door and give them the run of the house?

gamerchick Fri 19-Dec-14 07:53:06

Just give up and take the tree down. I refused to put one up this year as our cat is still climbing the curtains when having her daft half hour. I knew what would happen if I put the tree up.

I couldn't be dragging it out into the hall needing rebuilt every night.

gamerchick Fri 19-Dec-14 07:54:32

I lock her out of the living room each night and let her have the run of the house apart from the kids bedrooms. I agree can't you do that?

leeloo1 Fri 19-Dec-14 07:57:18

"Have them in bed with you."

What the trees? shock confused

grin

Stripylikeatiger Fri 19-Dec-14 08:00:42

The cats would be in the hall if it was my house, I'd just put a blanket down for them to sleep on.

CatsClaus Fri 19-Dec-14 08:07:24

this is why my tree is still not up, we have about a week before the tree becomes Ground Zero

I don't know why but they totally ignore it for about a week and then it becomes irresistible. It has always been this way grin

Gatekeeper Fri 19-Dec-14 08:07:46

I read on another forum that someone put cut lemons under the tree and they gave it a wide berth after that

nousernamesleft Fri 19-Dec-14 08:13:06

I've put my tree inside the playpen. Cats can still get to it, but it seems to have lessened the damage caused, and means I'm not chasing baubles all over the house in the morning.
They've only knocked it over once too, and the playpen caught it, which was handy!

KnackeredMerrily Fri 19-Dec-14 09:26:20

Can you try a 'pet away' spray from pets at home, citronella and other off putting whiffs for moggys.

Works for my cat and dog

GingerbreadPudding Fri 19-Dec-14 09:45:37

Leave the cats in the kitchen and get some comfy cushions for them. You're mad to be dragging it from one room to another every day.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now